Blu-ray fans send CNBC nasty emails: Kmart, WB & More! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-02-2007, 07:14 PM
O_o

Arrow Blu-ray fans send CNBC nasty emails: Kmart, WB & More!

CNBC had a blog entry, where is indicated Kmart was HD DVD exclusive based on that Home Video Magazine interview, 100 BD.com users decided to send some nasty emails including pointing out that in fact Kmart was also selling BD. Jim Goldman addresses the emails, and actually contacts Kmart directly for clarification...

Quote:
Seems I struck a nerve with yesterday's post on the format war involving next generation DVD's. I came into the office today, welcomed by a flood of nasty e-mails challenging the blog, the premise, the spelling (sheeesh, "their" vs. "there" -- it's been corrected!)

Not since negative comments about Apple have I been inundated by such a response. But there's such a "bite" to the tone that some of these e-mails need a response.

But let's get to the meat of this discussion because you brought up some good points; but others, umm, not so much. First things first: yes, I should've included that Time Warner is not exclusively an HD DVD partner; that the company swings both ways. That was unfortunate. I give you that one. Concession noted.

As for the rest, here we go: "Konbei" writes that I'm mistaken that Kmart will exclusively sell HD DVDs, saying they "came out today and said they are not exclusive." I spoke with the company this morning for clarification: The company has decided to push HD DVD players this holiday shopping season, but will continue to sell Sony's PS3 with a Blu-ray player inside. As far as offering a standalone Blu-ray player on Kmart store shelves? Nope. At least not yet. If/when prices for Blu-ray come down Kmart may offer a standalone unit. But Kmart, the company tells me, is looking for value for its customers and right now, that means HD DVD.

"Glenn" takes issue with the "Transformers" sales figures that come courtesy of Paramount. Home Media Magazine disputes the numbers as does Deadline Hollywood. Paramount stands by the numbers, though the pro-Blu-ray blogs are all over this "controversy."

To continue reading, please visit CNBC at http://www.cnbc.com/id/21598441
Old 11-02-2007, 07:19 PM

Good post Geonosis
Old 11-02-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Steven Burke wrote an entire essay, complete with tables and graphics. He points out that Warner is re-evaluating its "neutral stance" toward both formats, leaning toward Blu-ray now. And that Samsung is leaning that way, too. Good info. We'll see.
You may be too into the format war if...
Old 11-02-2007, 07:23 PM

The PS3 is the #1 selling BD player on the market in a landslide, so it was patently obvious that K-mart was never hd dvd exclusive since they sell the PS3.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyz123 View Post
The PS3 is the #1 selling BD player on the market in a landslide, so it was patently obvious that K-mart was never hd dvd exclusive since they sell the PS3.
...Just as continuing to sell the Xbox add-on means that Target isn't selling BD players exclusively this Holiday season.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:29 PM
O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolo View Post
Good post Geonosis
You are too magnanimous, Diabolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyz123 View Post
Yeah they are currently HD DVD (SA) exclusive, just like Target who is BD (SA) exclusive. Or are you saying Target isn't exclusive either? This is confusing, because so many BD users have long stated Target is pro-BD and exclusive, I accepted that based on SA's despite the fact they continue to sell HD media and the add-on. Now with Kmart, they only sell HD DVD SA's along with PS3's but they are not exclusive? Confused.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_D_Sahdd View Post
...Just as continuing to sell the Xbox add-on means that Target isn't selling BD players exclusively this Holiday season.
I said the Target news was overblown when it was announced. I stand by it (though the blu-ray advertising in store can't hurt).
Old 11-02-2007, 07:34 PM
O_o

Quote:
Paramount stands by the numbers, though the pro-Blu-ray blogs are all over this "controversy."
This is very true, only those blogs are all over this.

Quote:
But keep these last responses in mind. We offered a poll on the blog asking which format you'd buy. Hardly scientific, but it's pretty even right now with 7,500 responses. Pete Sullivan, Robert Barbier, "Mark" and "Jhomen" alerted me to the forum thread on the Blu-ray site showing how Blu-ray fans can cheat the poll results and skew the news toward Blu-ray.
This is so humiliating for BD.com.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonosis View Post
This is very true, only those blogs are all over this.

This is so humiliating and embarrassing for BD.com. It just goes to show you the petty level of some people. As a PS3 and subsequent Blu-ray consumer myself, this caliber of behavior is just sad.
Uhh, huh. And no way a saintly HD DOA supporter would actually delete his cookies and revote...only those BD people are that advanced in their thinking, is that what you are saying?

What is humiliating is trying to give any poll any weight when it is online, and even moreso, trying to label blu-ray.com based on a post by an individual. When will you ever learn?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:53 PM

Doesn't really address anything, just admits he got a lot of bad response, rightly so. Most of those comments he posted are valid arguments against what he wrote.

"Oops, yeah sorry my mistake about Warner" doesn't make up for the fact that his piece was incompelete and biased.