Why do you want HD-DVD to win so badly ? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-02-2007, 07:25 AM

Default Why do you want HD-DVD to win so badly ?

We all know what happend with the VHS/BETA war .... we all ended up with VHS. And I think all emotions have now gone from the VHS/BETA war and we can all agree now - I think - that BETA would have been the better choice just from the technical point of view.

If I can afford it I really want the best technical product, for sure not at all costs, but remember we talk about technology and prices will go down fast.

A new format is supposed to last for years that is the great thing about DVD.

When we jumped from CD to DVD we gained a factor 6.7 and going from DVD to HD-DVD we only gain a factor 3.3 ........ from DVD to Blu-Ray we gain a factor 5.7

I know it is impossible to reason with feelings, and I am not trying to change anybodys mind, but beside the current price of a stand alone player (which I guess is the only advantage HD-DVD have), why do you want HD-DVD to win so badly ?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:33 AM

You are joking right?

HD DVD isnt looking to win anything its looking to survive and become a fully fledged HiDef format.

Sony, sorry, the BDA are the ones talking about a war, they are the ones announcing every week the war is over, about to be over etc., not HD DVD. They are the ones focusing on crushing HD DVD not the other way around.

As well as price the other advantage HD DVD has is Universal & Paramount/Dreamworks exclusive, true PiP since day one and full internet interactivity thats only now being used. Blu still cant do either of these and the internet is profile 2.0 that no one knows when it will be implemented
Old 11-02-2007, 07:42 AM

I chose hd-dvd because it is 100% region free.
Bluray continues one of the major flaws of dvd - region coding.
I still dont understand why people pay more for bluray knowing that they will be unable to play some titles in their machines.
Hd-dvd = affordable, region-free and excellent quality.
When bluray matches this criteria than i would buy it just like millions of others out there.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:54 AM

Default You can do better than that:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimboli View Post
You are joking right?

HD DVD isnt looking to win anything its looking to survive and become a fully fledged HiDef format.

Sony, sorry, the BDA are the ones talking about a war, they are the ones announcing every week the war is over, about to be over etc., not HD DVD. They are the ones focusing on crushing HD DVD not the other way around.

As well as price the other advantage HD DVD has is Universal & Paramount/Dreamworks exclusive, true PiP since day one and full internet interactivity thats only now being used. Blu still cant do either of these and the internet is profile 2.0 that no one knows when it will be implemented
Pimboli, I'm still sorry that your Panasonic player can't do profile 1.1... (Did you sell it?)
To be fair the BDA has declared the war over several times. But your comment comes across as if you expect others to believe that Toshiba & HD DVD Promotions Group haven't gone & said anything against them either. Neither group is without their dirty laundry. Remember IFA? HD Promo. Group spent most their press time critisizing BD.

The OP is clearly biased to Blu & is questioning the HD Dvd fans logic in light of Beta/ VHS... Post comments that either trully smack his idea down or outright shed some light on the topic. I know you are capable of both.

I agree with you 100% that BD's lack of finalized specs is the worst part of the format. But how do define "completion" in this context? Both formats are complete & incomplete in their own rights. We're not there yet 'til we're watching & hearing Real Definition... & that's not around the corner for either format.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbob View Post
I still dont understand why people pay more for bluray knowing that they will be unable to play some titles in their machines.
When bluray matches this criteria than i would buy it just like millions of others out there.
Admitted, Blu-Ray gives the option to enable regions, but many disks are not region encoded.

It is not the format that enforces regions on the disks.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:10 AM

Default For the love of the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbob View Post
You're comments remind how great it would've been for us consumers had these big shots agreed before either format was complete.
Region encoding on Bd is a result of the BDA listening to the Studios who wanted it.
People, like myself pay more for BD, because (aside from living in northern europe, where everything costs twice to three times as much anyway) know that we will get movies from the majority of the major studios, including disney. Disney & WB are the 2 most important studios to next gen format adoption, imo.
HD dvd is a great format!!! Unfortunately it is backed by Microsoft, who stand to gain most by having both formats fail, rather than either reaching mass adoption.
Slightly off topic, but I struggle to understand people choosing a format supported by Microsoft over one backed by a majority of CEs brands who've been working within Film, image & audio for years is confusing.
Toshiba is a great brand & had HD Dvd not had Microsoft as an important partner, it would have won my trust.
I completely understand the studios who have concerns with BD winning due to SPHE as a competitor. But if I were to choose, I'd pick the competition that I know over the 800lb Gorilla I know wants both formats to loose.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Reply to thread title

Sony is blocking the road to widespread HDM [optical disc]
adoption by consumers. Blu-ray is economically inefficient at the disc authoring, replication and consumer disc player sales point phases.

It is a corporate "cartel" [BDA] designed to protect Blu-ray Japanese/Korean disc player prices against global hardware competition, mainly Chinese. This is legal, but economically absurd.

Sony is incompetent at software i.e. :-

Game development tools for PS3, PS3 online features.
BD-J

Their management for the Blu-ray spec for players is mad, namely introducing complete new versions of the spec to support hardware features not even present in the existing installed base of products. For a CE product, where stability is key, that is merde.

I hope Microsoft, Toshiba and Walmart defeat the PS3 and Blu-ray, and thereby IMHO save 2 years on the schedule for the mass adoption of HDM.

Sony is being a "Dumb ass hardware vender" in a World where software is King.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:25 AM

I think a large part of the "war" is kids fighting over game consoles. Look at the foaming HD DVD supporters, it usually has little to do with HD formats and more to do with slamming the PS3 and/or Sony. However BD is winning by all objective measures because the average consumer is not some sony-hating gamer child.

When I got an HD TV earlier this year I researched HD disc formats and picked BD because it was technically superior, had better studio support, and higher sales. These are the dominant objective facts and they still hold today giving BD the edge--and that's why I continue to think I backed the right format.

HD DVD is by any measure the losing format. I suspect it will continue to get cheaper as it continues to lose. HD DVD has my thanks for being a good competitor that has forced BD to more rapidly improve their product and prices, but unless some miracle happens HD DVD will continue to be exactly what it appears to be: the runner up.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:41 AM

Reasons for HD DVD
  • ALL HD DVD DISKS are region free
  • Cheaper Player Prices
  • ALL PLAYERS are upgradable via Internet
  • Cheaper Disk costs (Sony is now subsidising BD replication, but in the end the consumer will play more when the subsidies end)

Reasons for not having Blu-ray
  • BD+ - who needs another rootkit
  • Expensive Player Prices
  • Some players not easily upgradable
  • Incomplete BD specs
  • BDA media manipulation, spin FUD
Old 11-02-2007, 08:43 AM

money, so cheap to get into it, and it has come to show that movies, not matter what one, look and sound the same and not better on hd dvd with only 30 gb of storage