Lies and more lies - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-24-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Lies and more lies

Somebody stirred up a hornet's nest. Some guy working on the HD DVD mobile experience is really upset.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=793044

Quote:
HD DVD: Blu-ray Camp Spreads Lies, Misinformation

While LG and Warner Bros. were making headlines at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) for their solutions to possibly end the high-definition DVD format war, the Blu-ray and HD DVD camps were busy duking it out. I sat down with representatives from both sides for in-depth interviews.

"It's all lies."

So said David Chaplin, manager of the HD DVD Mobile Experience, when I told him I had sat down with representatives from the Blu-ray camp at CES and wanted to get the HD DVD camp's perspective on the format war.

"There's nothing worse than misinformation," said Chaplin, arguing that support for Blu-ray isn't as rock-solid as the camp would have you believe.

For example, Samsung -- developer of the BD-P1000 Blu-ray player and recently announced BD-P1200 -- is not squarely in the Blu-ray camp, Chaplin argued, because of the company's M55 laptop computer, which includes an HD DVD drive.

"That tells me Samsung has lost all faith in [Blu-ray]," he said. "It shows their lack of confidence in [it]."

The Blu-ray storage capacity advantage -- 51GB HD DVD discs aside -- is a "moot point," he said. "I can't think of any title that would need more space, from a studio's standpoint," said Chaplin. A disc like King Kong, he argued, is over 3 hours long, and the movie, commentary tracks and more fit on one 30 GB disc.

For more on the interview with the HD DVD camp, check out
http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/17509.html
Got to love a hissy fit.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Banned

Yeah this guy is such a hypocrite. He talks about lies from the Blu-ray camp and then says that Samsung, in his opinion, has lost all faith in Blu-ray because of one laptop.

I guess their newly announced 2nd generation Blu-ray player is further proof of their lack of faith in Blu-ray and their recent annoucnements solidifying their position as committed to Blu-ray and being the first to get a Blu-ray player out.
http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/P...108_0000312876
Quote:
SAMSUNG Electronics Breaks New Ground In Blu-Ray Technology

LAS VEGAS - January 8, 2007 - Samsung Electronics, a market leader in consumer electronics, today unveiled its second-generation Blu-ray player for the home entertainment industry. Samsung expects that the BD-P1200 player will help the company stay a step ahead of the cutting-edge optical media industry, after introducing the first Blu-ray DiscTM (BD) player (model: BD-P1000) to the U.S. market in June 2006.

With the launch of the BD-P1000 Blu-ray player, Samsung was first to offer full high-definition 1080p DVD resolution and clarity to consumers. Now, the next-generation BD-P1200 player will enhance consumers' experiences so that they can enjoy the best video and audio quality available in an HD disc player.

One of the BD-P1200 player's key new features is its Hollywood Quality Video (HQV) processor, which is a powerful unit similar to those used by Hollywood production studios. With its HQV processor, the BD-P1200 player offers true 1080i to 1080p HD de-interlacing, so it can deliver the best HD images possible - even from non-Blu-ray formats. The player's HDMI connection helps boost the sound quality (via 7.1-channel Dolby Digital Plus) and color. This HDMI connection also offers Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) technology, which enables a single remote control unit to operate the BD player, TV and other A/V products from Samsung. With the BD-P1200 model's HDMI connections, consumers will get superior audio/video quality, with incredible ease and convenience of use.

Samsung and some of the world's other leading electronics makers have teamed up to develop Blu-ray technology as the next-generation format for multimedia entertainment. Blu-ray discs can store five-to ten-times more data than a conventional DVD, so the viewer can watch their favorite movies and TV shows in high definition, instead of the standard definition of existing DVD formats.

Samsung has advanced Blu-ray technology through its in-house manufacturing of such core components as the player's laser pickup, deck, and chipsets. Samsung already offers a Blu-ray recorder that features the company's proprietary dual-lens pickup (one pickup with two lenses that allows backward capability, to play standard DVDs and CDs in addition to Blu-ray discs).
Old 01-24-2007, 09:25 AM

There's another article they put out at the same time on Blu-ray, saw them yesterday on Google news, but can't find it right now.

As for the Samsung HD DVD thing, what if it were Sony that released a HD DVD drive in laptops? It's signifigant as far as they have access to HD DVD laser pickups, and that's all. They may do a HD DVD player, or a dual player, or just want to have a laptop option to test the waters. The only thing you can take away is that they making/buying HD DVD pickups now.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Banned

They don't want a laptop option to test the waters, it's from a previous agreement between Samsung and Toshiba. You will not see an HD DVD standalone player from Samsung while the format war still exists.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
They don't want a laptop option to test the waters, it's from a previous agreement between Samsung and Toshiba. You will not see an HD DVD standalone player from Samsung while the format war still exists.
Except for the laptop.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

You will not see an HD DVD standalone player from Samsung while the format war still exists.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Banned

Unless you want to play movies through a laptop, right? Which is no different than playing them through a 360 or PoS3.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:54 AM
noobydoo

I think Dell will have to offer HD DVD soon. They have to stay competitive with HP and Toshiba; plus why do they care how a customer wants to play a movie.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1129 View Post
Unless you want to play movies through a laptop, right? Which is no different than playing them through a 360 or PoS3.
They are not standalones. No one is debating whether or not you can play a disc in a PS3, a 360 add-on or an HD DVD or Blu-ray enabled laptop, but they are not standalones. One is a PC, one is an add-on and one is a console.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobydoo View Post
I think Dell will have to offer HD DVD soon. They have to stay competitive with HP and Toshiba; plus why do they care how a customer wants to play a movie.
Cuban seems to be pretty keen on Blu-ray and he's a stubborn mofo, so I wouldn't expect Dell to be including HD DVD products anytime in the next few years.