Warner Home Video to support Blu-ray exclusively? - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:11 PM

Thumbs up Warner Home Video to support Blu-ray exclusively?

Posted Oct 30th 2007 8:01AM by Darren Murph
Filed under: Industry, Blu-ray, HD DVD

Don't etch this one in stone just yet, but for those keeping a close eye on studios and which camp(s) they support, here's the latest. Reportedly, a so-called Blu-ray Festival has been raging in Hollywood, and aside from BD backers showing up in support of upcoming / existing films, there have also been a few interesting remarks uttered along the way. Most notably, Dan Silverberg, VP of high-definition media for Warner Home Video, stated that "one thing that may be changing is [Warner's] strategy," and he continued by proclaiming that hardware prices had reached a point where consumers "no longer wanted to decide" which format reigned supreme. The speech actually got interesting when he mentioned that the "notion of staying in two formats for the duration is something the company was re-evaluating." Beyond that, egos were simply inflated even more as recent BD vs. HD DVD sales figures were trumpeted about, but we think the aforementioned commentary is far more interesting that hearing about numbers we're already familiar with.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/10/30...y-exclusively/
Old 10-30-2007, 03:15 PM

Um.. This article has been refered to in all the other threads on the rumour. Sorry.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:16 PM

do you have pink eye per chance?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:17 PM

To me it sounds more like HDDVD is where they would go. $200 players in almost all B&M stores.... Consumers may have picked Blu Ray but it is like Microsoft and gaming. They don't want the hardcore, they want the girls, kids, mainstream.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:17 PM

Dude it doesnt take much researching in this forum to see we are beating this horse to death as i write this.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Dude it doesnt take much researching in this forum to see we are beating this horse to death as i write this.
I didn't know the engadget article was posted. This is huge news if true.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:30 PM

How many of the same threads are the church of Blu making today
Old 10-30-2007, 03:31 PM

yeah i think its ridiculous that the VP of WB thinks that the consumer wont decide for themselves which format to adopt...Cheap Players? Its only within the last week with Walmart, Circuit City and Amazon offering a $200 dollar HD DVD player that a high def dvd player is finally affordable for the average consumer? Talk about jumping the gun...

Cheapest Blu Ray player is still 400 bucks and its supposed to be a Game Console...

Why dont you give the consumer a chance to actually buy an affordable player before you decide the consumer is incapable of deciding at this point..

Its too soon to make an assumption like that and if Warner goes exclusive with Blue Ray it will be the biggest mistake I can gurantee you will kill the high def dvd market...

Right now everyone that is still on the fence about investing in High Def dvd player will still not spend 400 and up on a "dvd player" look at all the articles online of how few Standalone players are sold on both formats... A huge percentage of people that still have not made this jump into investing in High Def DVD yet have a HDTV will stay that way even if Blue Ray won..Most everyone I talk to that has HD TV doesnt know the difference between blu ray and hd dvd. All they know is that its to expensive to buy a player so they dont bother to get saavy on it and keep watching their standard DVD's ignorance is bliss..

If they are smart they will go with HD DVD and im sure they are gonna wait till the holidays to make this decision as they know this new cheap player may make a difference in the format war...

You sell enough players as many have said the studios will go where the money is and that will be knowing there are over a million stand alone players out there with consumers looking for movies to buy and rent...

whats affordable to a VP at Warner Brothers is not necessarily the same ideal of affordable as a 40 hour a week bust your butt average Joe with a family church going folk who lives in the midwest and the closest best buy is 4 hours away and you buy all your electronics at walmart...

Lets face it that is a HUGE population in the United States why do you think Bush is president?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:34 PM

same rumor thats been circulating around here
Old 10-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Banned

Despite HD-DVD spin about prices, it certainly hasn't paid off so far in the war, and for some reason HD-DVD sales barely beat Blu-Ray standalone sales despite being half as cheap.

Despite what HD-DVD fanboys think, the to the mass consumer, a price of $199 from $299 is not nearly as drastic as they think. Its nice, but its certainly not going to double or triple sales versus Blu-Ray which is what HD-DVD needs to catch up.

People don't buy players just because they are cheap. They buy content and then realize they need a player to play that content.
Closed Thread