Nostradamus Game for October 28, 2007 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-29-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Nostradamus Game for October 28, 2007

After the most exciting week in Nostradamus Championship Series history this week continues to offer some difficult predictions. Transformers still looms large and this time there is no Buy One Get One Free sale to soften the punch. So this week is as hard as ever to guess right and score big!

Also last week there was the surprise revelation of the top sellers before the Nostradamus Game official deadline had passed, enabling several players (myself included) to adjust their picks accordingly. Because all players posted or edited their entries before the official deadline had passed all these picks are legitimate and their scores will stand. However, it appears that this kind of early news release may become common giving an unfair advantage to some. In last week's thread I discussed this and asked participants to voice their opinion on a possible rule change that would move the deadline forward to noon Pacific Time on Wednesday each week ( http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...&postcount=133 ). I ask that if you haven't posted in that thread to please post here as to whether or not you think we should change the deadline. This week's deadline will not change and remains 11:59 pm Pacific Time on Wednesday (6:59 am GMT on Thursday). Please read what I posted in the other thread and tell me what you think. If we are going to change the deadline then we need to do so with plenty of advance notice. As a reminder the rules are posted here: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...45&postcount=1 As always I am reluctant to make any changes to the rules but this is probably a situation where a change is warranted.

Now for this week's releases. First on Blu-ray:
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Warner)
  • A Clockwork Orange (Warner)
  • The Company (2007) (Sony)
  • Eyes Wide Shut (Warner)
  • Full Metal Jacket: Deluxe Edition (Warner)
  • The Hills Have Eyes 2 (2007) (Fox)
  • Home of the Brave (Fox)
  • Hostel (Director's Cut) (Sony)
  • Hostel: Part II (Sony)
  • King of New York (Lionsgate)
  • Meet the Robinsons (Walt Disney)
  • Mr. Brooks (MGM)
  • Scary Movie (Dimension)
  • The Shining (1980) (Warner)
  • The Sopranos: Season Six, Part Two (Warner)

And this week's new releases on HD DVD:
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Warner)
  • Carlito's Way (Universal)
  • Carlito's Way: Rise to Power (Universal)
  • A Clockwork Orange (Warner)
  • Eyes Wide Shut (Warner)
  • Full Metal Jacket: Deluxe Edition (Warner)
  • Inside Man (Universal)
  • Keali'i Reichel - Live in Concert (Alternative Distribution Alliance)
  • Motorhead: Stage Fright (SPV Records)
  • Seed of Chucky (Universal)
  • The Shining (1980) (Warner)
  • The Sopranos: Season Six, Part Two (Warner)

I thank everyone for numbering your picks last week - it is so helpful. Best of luck!
Old 10-29-2007, 01:56 AM

Default My predictions

This week is tough. I don't know what to do as far as Transformers' effect goes. Here goes nothin':
  1. Transformers (HD DVD)
  2. Meet the Robinsons (Blu-ray)
  3. Mr. Brooks (Blu-ray)
  4. Hostel: Part II (Blu-ray)
  5. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Blu-ray)
  6. Hostel (Director's Cut) (Blu-ray)
  7. The Hills Have Eyes 2 (2007) (Blu-ray)
  8. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Blu-ray)
  9. Heroes (HD DVD)
  10. 300 (Blu-ray)

Ratio - 53:47 Blu-ray

Last edited by tiberius; 10-31-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Adjust top ten
Old 10-29-2007, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
This week is tough. I don't know what to do as far as Transformers' effect goes. Here goes nothin':
  1. Transformers (HD DVD)
  2. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Blu-ray)
  3. Hostel: Part II (Blu-ray)
  4. Hostel (Director's Cut) (Blu-ray)
  5. The Hills Have Eyes 2 (2007) (Blu-ray)
  6. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Blu-ray)
  7. 2001: A Space Odyssey (HD DVD)
  8. 300 (Blu-ray)
  9. Home of the Brave (Blu-ray)
  10. Meet the Robinsons (Blu-ray)

Ratio - 53:47 Blu-ray
tiberius, I think you are underestimating Meet the Robinsons a whole lot. It will be either #1 or #2 ...probably #2.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:31 AM

I'm with you balian. I'm actually leaning towards #1.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:35 AM
formerly Blu Christmas

I agree tiberius - change the deadline next week. And even though last week some folks got a bit of an advantage - I don't hold it against them. The difference is - they weren't malicious or sneaky (they even posted it in the forum for others). It would have been bad if they didn't tell anyone and peeked at this each week.

Also, I expect next week with Spidey numbers we will see more "early" numbers being leaked.

Changing the deadline next week is probably a good call.

This week is definately tough:
1. Which Kubrick titles will sell better than others?
2. Can Meet the Robinson's do Surfs Up numbers?
3. Will Blu-ray supporters be "tapped out" from buying after the BOGO?
4. Are HD DVD supporter's minds too numb to leave the couch after watching Transformers?!

I must think about this one.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balian View Post
tiberius, I think you are underestimating Meet the Robinsons a whole lot. It will be either #1 or #2 ...probably #2.
I just wanted to get something posted, mostly my ratio prediction. I will have to think about "Meet the Robinsons".
Old 10-29-2007, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdblu View Post
I'm with you balian. I'm actually leaning towards #1.
Meet the Robinsons is a VERY good animated film that should have done better in the box office...i liked it better than most Pixar films actually.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:58 AM

53 : 47 BD

1. Transformers
2. Meet the Robinsons
3. Mr. Brooks
4. Hostel 2
5. Heroes
6. The Hills Have Eyes 2
7. 2001 HD DVD
8. Fantastic Four II
9. The Shining HD DVD
10. 2001 BD

OK, moving everything around before the deadline.
They might not even make the top 10, but I'm keeping some Kubrick in for spite. Dangit, if they didn't make it in they certainly *should* have!

Last edited by Philnerd; 10-31-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Christmas View Post
I agree tiberius - change the deadline next week. And even though last week some folks got a bit of an advantage - I don't hold it against them. The difference is - they weren't malicious or sneaky (they even posted it in the forum for others). It would have been bad if they didn't tell anyone and peeked at this each week.

Also, I expect next week with Spidey numbers we will see more "early" numbers being leaked.

Changing the deadline next week is probably a good call.

This week is definately tough:
1. Which Kubrick titles will sell better than others?
2. Can Meet the Robinson's do Surfs Up numbers?
3. Will Blu-ray supporters be "tapped out" from buying after the BOGO?
4. Are HD DVD supporter's minds too numb to leave the couch after watching Transformers?!

I must think about this one.
- I also agree with changing the deadline to Noon, Pacific Time (19:00 GMT) Wednesdays, starting next week.

- Some good points from Blu Christmas I would expand upon:

1. 2001 looks to me like the top Kubrick for both formats (and my only Kubrick purchase) - but, the Warner BD versions seem to have shipping delays; few online retailers have them in stock yet. Is it this way in B&M stores, and will this affect the sales positions?

2. Yeah, I think Meet the Robinsons will be #1 or 2 Blu-ray - but can it beat out Hostel's torture fest at Halloween time? And what's the story with "Mr. Brooks"? It slipped under my radar; is this a day & date? Will it do any good, or are there others like me who are sick of seeing Kevin Costner in anything?

3. Yep, BOGO fatigue? And will there be a HD DVD "BOGO affect"? Heroes is being bundled free with the xBox add-on at several stores & Amazon but count as a sale as it's scanned and then discounted. It's shot way up on Amazon rankings.

4. No Transformers fatigue here; just ordered the Toshiba A35 player to upgrade my XA1. Now I get to snag that nifty Phaser remote control when my pre-order of Star Trek arrives.

Still picking the titles, but going with a 54:46 ratio.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:18 AM
formerly Blu Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
- I also agree with changing the deadline to Noon, Pacific Time (19:00 GMT) Wednesdays, starting next week.

- Some good points from Blu Christmas I would expand upon:

1. 2001 looks to me like the top Kubrick for both formats (and my only Kubrick purchase) - but, the Warner BD versions seem to have shipping delays; few online retailers have them in stock yet. Is it this way in B&M stores, and will this affect the sales positions?
See, I'm trying not to let my personal tastes influence order. I personally love the Shining was going to put that at the top of my Kubrik lists - but kind of realized I'm going off what "I would buy". So, I'll have to be careful on this one.