European HD DVD of Total Recall better than Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-23-2007, 02:20 PM

Default European HD DVD of Total Recall better than Blu-ray

This review of the European version of "Total Recall" by DVD Town shows it to be noticably superior to the Blu-ray version:

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/firstloo...dvdimport/4282

Quote:
As with all of the HD-DVDs I've watched, it appears that this transfer is as good as the print from which it was made. I know that Dean was not entirely pleased with the look of "Total Recall" on Blu-ray, saying it "looked only marginally better than the Special Limited Edition DVD playing in an upconverted DVD player." Not so here. The HD-DVD, while maybe not in the very highest echelon of HD picture quality, nevertheless looks quite vibrant and well delineated in its VC-1, 1080p transfer.
On a separate note, it is nice to see reviews of import HD DVDs starting to show up in the US. This is especially important considering HD DVD's total lcak of Region Coding.

On a side note, a lot of interesting discussion going on in the forum this week which sadly I have not been able to participate in - I am down in Hollywood for the week for meeting leaving me very little time to read this forum.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:16 PM

Another HD DVD title superior to the Blu-Ray version, what a surprise
Old 02-06-2008, 10:08 PM

This title is onsale right now, import it while you can!

http://foxy.co.uk/Total-Recall-HD-DVD/123500579/

Last edited by MidnightWatcher; 02-06-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:12 PM

I bought this a few weeks ago with Terminator 2 HD DVD. Which are superior to the Blu-ray counterpart because of the VC-1 instead of Blu-ray's MPEG-2. Plus with the Terminator 2 HD DVD you get the Director's Cut and Theatrical version to boot.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Banned

I'm disappointed with my DVD version of Total Recall. The video quality is bad.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:38 PM

This is why I'm holding on to my HD DVDs of 'Silent Hill' and 'Underworld: Evolution' even though I went purple; sometimes imports are of better quality. Of course, that's probably true for some BD imports too.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 PM

Blu-ray release came out 17 months ago, only a few months into the existence of Blu-ray. You have to take that into account when comparing a movie between two formats.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
This review of the European version of "Total Recall" by DVD Town shows it to be noticably superior to the Blu-ray version:

On a separate note, it is nice to see reviews of import HD DVDs starting to show up in the US. This is especially important considering HD DVD's total lcak of Region Coding.

On a side note, a lot of interesting discussion going on in the forum this week which sadly I have not been able to participate in - I am down in Hollywood for the week for meeting leaving me very little time to read this forum.

And it is especially, especially important considering HD DVD's total lack of studio support.

See, I can do it too!!

Nightfury,

That will never be taken into account until WB possibly re-encodes BB or the Matrix. Or Uni re-encodes some of its craptastic catalog transfers for BR.

When/if that happens they will be shouting "old transfer!!" from the mountaintops.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post

You really can't compare releases when one of them came out over a year and a half ago. The initial blu-ray release of Total Recall was like a lot of new HD DVD AND blu-ray releases at that time, crap.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post
Another HD DVD title superior to the Blu-Ray version, what a surprise
I really hope you are not trying to imply that an HD DVD disc will some how show a VC-1 encoding better than a Blu-ray disc will.