Yet more blu-ray production problems. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-26-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Yet more blu-ray production problems.

Amazon.com

2001 - A Space Odyssey [Blu-ray]
Availability: Usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks.
2001 - A Space Odyssey [HD DVD]
IN STOCK

The Shining [Blu-ray]
Usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks.
The Shining [HD DVD]
IN STOCK

Eyes Wide Shut [Blu-ray]
Usually ships in 6 to 10 days
Eyes Wide Shut [HD DVD]
IN STOCK

A Clockwork Orange [Blu-ray]
In stock on November 2, 2007
A Clockwork Orange [HD DVD]
IN STOCK

Can anyone still argue that blu-ray isn't having production issues? We've seen delays and more than one occurrence of blu disks unable to keep up with demand. Sure you might argue that the HD DVD demand isn't as high as blu-ray. But the point still stands blu-ray disk production yield is UNABLE to keep up with demand. And considering this i can completely understand why Paramount went HD DVD. If blu-ray production is unable to keep up production with how things now how would things have been with 200,000 copies of transformers on blu was needed!?

Unfortunately i went with blu-ray for these 4 movies. In the future this is one more reason to go with HD DVD instead so i don't have to wait WEEKS to watch my movies.

Was really looking forward to watching the shining in HD for Halloween. Really bummed. Debating canceling my blu disks from Warner and picking these up at Fry's on HD DVD.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:34 PM

Whine...whine...whine
I got all of them at Best Buy on Tuesday.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
Amazon.com

2001 - A Space Odyssey [Blu-ray]
Availability: Usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks.
2001 - A Space Odyssey [HD DVD]
IN STOCK

The Shining [Blu-ray]
Usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks.
The Shining [HD DVD]
IN STOCK

Eyes Wide Shut [Blu-ray]
Usually ships in 6 to 10 days
Eyes Wide Shut [HD DVD]
IN STOCK

A Clockwork Orange [Blu-ray]
In stock on November 2, 2007
A Clockwork Orange [HD DVD]
IN STOCK
Although I can't vouch for BR production ability however a book I wanted is not in stock for a few weeks. Does it means, they just don't have it in stock? or they are having producting issues with my book?

I think it's just an Amazon supply chain thing.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:35 PM

Yes, I can argue that. When I ordered From Hell it said 2-4 weeks shipping- it shipped out the next day. When I ordered 2010 it said 2-4 weeks shipping- it shipped out the next day. When I ordered The Shining it said 2-4 weeks shipping- it shipped out on the third day.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:35 PM

Old news. It's been widely reported that WB has had trouble getting the Kubricks—on all 3 formats—to retailers.

And, BTW, I don't think Amazon's up to date, since they emailed me 10 minutes ago to tell me my Blu-ray of Eyes Wide Shut had shipped.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:36 PM

This is entirely circumstantial, and in no way spells out yield or production issues for the Blu camp.

Come back when you have some solid evidence instead of just extrapolating your own conclusions from a bit of data you dug up on Amazon.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:37 PM

OP, you do realize Warner has been having issues for the last two months with their new shipping software. Or it could also mean that they sold out of the alloted titles they had. Either way, stop spreading FUD.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Banned

Maybe it's a matter of supply and demand... More Blu players out there... more demand for Blu...
Old 10-26-2007, 04:38 PM

I guess if you really can't wait another couple days or weeks to watch these movies, then by all means cancel. To some of us, waiting an extra two weeks to see 20+ year old movies that we have seen muliple times before, isn't a dealbreaker.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:38 PM

And yes clearly part of this is higher demand on blu-ray.

But looking at sales ranks they at least seem to give evidence this out of stock on blu-ray is more about production and supply that TONS more demand on blu over hd. Considering we've seen a 2:1 in sales ratio i can only assume Warner assume the same would happen on these titles but simply couldn't produce enough blu-ray disks.

2001 - A Space Odyssey [HD DVD] #62
2001 - A Space Odyssey [Blu-ray] #64

The Shining [HD DVD] #130
The Shining [Blu-ray] #137

Eyes Wide Shut [HD DVD] #369
Eyes Wide Shut [Blu-ray] #287

A Clockwork Orange [HD DVD] #280
A Clockwork Orange [Blu-ray]#252