Demo Material - your list here. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-22-2007, 02:08 PM
formerly Blu Christmas

Default Demo Material - your list here.

Hello all,

My last thread (smack yourself down, guilty pleasures and more) was for movie lovers:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=21175

This one is for those who love movies, but sometimes, just like a movie cause the visuals and sound just rock -(Star Wars, Indepedence Day, Transformers, Matrix, King Kong, LOTR, 300, Die Hard series, etc.) Of course, it's nice when the movie is good as well.

List one of your favorite "demo material" movies and the scene you use to show off your home theater set up for pic and sound. (Doesn't have to be limited to hi-def releases). In the interest of providing some variety, if you list Transformers or Fantastic Four 2 - you must also list one other (this will help aviod everyone listing the last movie they saw).

I'll start things off:

I was blown away by both Transformers and FF2 soundtracks.

However, before those, my favorite scene to show off my 65" and surround system was/is -

LOTR - Return of the King.
The scene where the elephants (I know it's spelled different in the book) come crashing through the calvary. The DTS sound on the extended edition is top-notch, and the massive elephants crashing on screen with pounding footfalls is tremendous.

I'd rather this not be about lossy vs. lossless sound/my format vs. your format, but figured I'd put it in smackdown anyway, since it seems invetible - but let's keep it about the movies for as long as we can.

Take it easy, all.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:24 PM

Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest

The scene where the Flying Dutchman emerges from beneath the water and starts shooting at the Black Pearl...
Old 10-22-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Christmas View Post

LOTR - Return of the King.
The scene where the elephants (I know it's spelled different in the book) come crashing through the calvary. The DTS sound on the extended edition is top-notch, and the massive elephants crashing on screen with pounding footfalls is tremendous.
I love that scene as demo material It is one I use to show off the system too

In the high def world I tend to put on either extracts from Planet Earth or POTC : DMC (the scene where the Kraken attacks the Black Pearl in particular), when showing off the system.

For SD-DVD it may be an odd choice but I love the scene in 'Titanic' where Rose is trapped in the ship looking for something to free Jack with. The background soundtrack of the creaks and groans as the Titanic starts to sink are a really good demo of subtlety in sound design instead of just going for the crash-bang-wollop loudness in most blockbusters (although if you want that then the opening of Star Wars Episode III has great sound and vissuals in spades )
Old 10-22-2007, 02:44 PM

POTC 1 - either the ending Sparrow/Barbossa fight, or the theft of the Interceptor

POTC2 - Flying Dutchman attacks, or "Hello, Beastie".

Prestige - the scene where Angier first meets Tesla.

I'll throw this in - before HD, my demo scene was the bank robbery in Heat. I had older relatives who dove behind the couch during that one.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:50 PM

Kingdom of Heaven, chapter 53. This battle scene has to be seen and heard to appreciate. But you could pick any battle scene in this one, all are spectacular.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:02 PM

visually...crank is sick...it is so crisp that its not even funny.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:05 PM

V for Vendetta - final fight and explosions.
The Matrix - rescue of Morpheus.
TMNT - The fight on the rooftop
Planet Earth - The Cave video is very nice
I suspect Transformers will be but I am not certain which scenes, the desert is great as well as the robot battle.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:18 PM

Transformers-would have to be that sick flip that ironhide does in the final battle
MI3-when they create the mask, the detail is amazing
POTC1-was one of my favorites for demoing until I found out about the framing issue (wish I hadn't known, knowledge can be a MOFO)
Old 10-22-2007, 03:32 PM
formerly Blu Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice X View Post
Transformers-would have to be that sick flip that ironhide does in the final battleMI3-when they create the mask, the detail is amazing
POTC1-was one of my favorites for demoing until I found out about the framing issue (wish I hadn't known, knowledge can be a MOFO)
Yeah, that flip with with dual cannons firing = WOW! That low bass is amazing! Loved that scene at the movies, and glad to hear it knocked out of the park of the DVD (I'm sure those with lossless are grinning from ear to ear).
Old 10-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Banned

Corpse Bride

The entire movie