Blu-ray vs. HD DVD: a Solution Abroad - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-21-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Blu-ray vs. HD DVD: a Solution Abroad

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119267051987662923.html

Nice read
Old 10-21-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
It's a good thing for us in Europe, but for US fans, maybe not so great. Discs in the UK can cost anything between 15.00 online (about $30.00) to 30.00 ($60.00), the latter being mainly high street store prices, then you got shipping, which can be expensive. So unless you are willing to pay, top dollar for a film, in ain't worth it. I think we, especially us in the UK, with the pound strong against the dollar, get the better end of the deal, when it comes to imports.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Banned

This is also a nice read from the same source, too bad you need to be a subscriber to read the whole thing:
http://online.wsj.com/public/article...171303081.html

And in case you're not a subscriber, here's the full article:
Quote:
Further muddying a format war over the next generation of DVDs, Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. said they would ditch the high-definition Blu-ray format and release high-definition digital videodiscs in the HD DVD format only.

The move will likely draw out the war between the two formats, in which Blu-ray had seemed to be winning the momentum. Now it will likely take at least two more holiday sales seasons before one format becomes a clear winner, studio executives say.

Paramount, which had previously released in both formats, is a plum catch for the HD DVD format, backed heavily by Toshiba Corp. and Microsoft Corp. Its skating spoof "Blades of Glory" comes onto DVD at the end of the month, and "Shrek the Third" and "Transformers" are likely to become top sellers when they are released on DVD for the holidays. Paramount distributes the films produced by DreamWorks Animation.

Now, "we can put all of our resources behind one format," both in marketing and manufacturing terms, says Kelley Avery, president of Paramount Home Entertainment. "You have to get behind one message."

The exclusive could be for as little as a year, according to two people familiar with the situation.

The studios won undisclosed financial incentives for exclusive commitments to release high-definition movies onto HD DVD only. A person familiar with the situation said the incentives included both cash payments and soft incentives such as marketing promotions.
Funny how the WSJ is only a nice read when it reports something the HD DVD fanboys like
Old 10-21-2007, 05:52 PM

Shit I forgot I could get Fantastic Four on HD DVD! I also want Prestige.

Now if I can get Spidey over seas I have everything I want on Blu-ray.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:09 PM
O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroygt View Post
This is also a nice read from the same source, too bad you need to be a subscriber to read the whole thing:
http://online.wsj.com/public/article...171303081.html

And in case you're not a subscriber, here's the full article:

Funny how the WSJ is only a nice read when it reports something the HD DVD fanboys like
I don't know why you're posting this old article from August, that has nothing to do with this topic. Anyway I actually happen to be a WSJ e-subscriber too, and part of the Terms of Service indicate not to share content.

You are also misleading people, because you left out 50% of the article despite your here's the full article claim. I find it sad when people attempt to deceive users by posting only half the story when stating otherwise. I can't say I am surprised, only those two bolded elements suit your point and the rest doesn't. Such as when Katzenberg identifies the clincher (for the defection) was the fact that HD DVD reps are doing a great job in making the format appealing and affordable. And the paragraph that a research company projected HD DVD will be in more households than Blu-ray this year (excludes consoles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
Indeed, thanks

Last edited by Geonosis; 10-21-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydoy View Post
It's a good thing for us in Europe, but for US fans, maybe not so great. Discs in the UK can cost anything between 15.00 online (about $30.00) to 30.00 ($60.00), the latter being mainly high street store prices, then you got shipping, which can be expensive. So unless you are willing to pay, top dollar for a film, in ain't worth it. I think we, especially us in the UK, with the pound strong against the dollar, get the better end of the deal, when it comes to imports.
Actually you can get most HD DVDs for about 10 if you go through amazon's Z shop sellers.

There's one called Caiman USA that I use for all my discs

Great service, 8 day turnaround and never had a problem
Old 10-21-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moepain4u View Post
Shit I forgot I could get Fantastic Four on HD DVD! I also want Prestige.

Now if I can get Spidey over seas I have everything I want on Blu-ray.
I didnt realize that ff4:rotss was available on HD DVD, might have to chase that one up too.

Though I doubt we will see SM on HD DVD anytime soon.
I suppose we will just have to settle with Transformers.