Problem with web update & Transformers HD-DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-20-2007, 03:27 PM

Thumbs down Problem with web update & Transformers HD-DVD

This seems like an appropriate place to post my woes.

I got my copy of Transformers HD-DVD earlier this week, and watched it. It is a great movie, definitely one of the best HD movies yet released (on any format), although the audio is a little compressed (not as much dynamic punch as I would like).

So last night (Friday), I had another party with a double feature: Transformers HD-DVD first, and then the new AC/DC live concert blu-ray.

Well guess what happened? The HD-DVD player informed me after playing the dreamworks logo screen, that there was a disc error. And then the player was dead. With several party guests hurling insults at me, I tried just about everything I could think of. My Toshiba HD-DVD is a dog! Takes forever to turn off, and then on again. We cleaned the HD-DVD, rolled back the latest firmware update, etc, etc. Cold reboot. Nothing worked, it was the same error message. So then we noticed that the damn disc was doing a "network update" on startup. So next thing we disconnected the ethernet cable, and then... voila! it worked! So something in the net update between tuesday and friday broke it! When I googled this, I noticed other people are reporting the same issues.

Personally, this annoys the poop out of me. I could not give a damn about network interaction, I just want to watch the damn movie. And then to think that we have a compressed sound track, so that the Paramount can give me a buggy online interactivity option that I don't give a flying fox about..... well, that just plain sucks.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:28 PM

Actually HD-DVD hardware would be a much better place IMO
Old 10-20-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Actually HD-DVD hardware would be a much better place IMO
Not really.... seems like a good reason to choose BLU-RAY.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:32 PM

because YOU had a problem over the weekend with your player? uhhhhhh sure.
HEY EVERYBODY!! Don't buy HD-DVD!!! Get Blu-Ray instead. You'll never have a problem!!
You gotta be kidding me bra!
so what are you expecting from this thread by placing it here may I ask?
Old 10-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Banned

Never had a problem with my HD DVD player. I have had problems with POTC and FF:ROTS though...each one took about 2 minutes to load.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
because YOU had a problem over the weekend with your player? uhhhhhh sure.
HEY EVERYBODY!! Don't buy HD-DVD!!! Get Blu-Ray instead. You'll never have a problem!!
You gotta be kidding me bra!
so what are you expecting from this thread by placing it here may I ask?
Good grief, we have a real mature one here.

These are the facts, kiddo:

I play a HD-DVD on tuesday. It works great. I dont even take it out of the player.

On Friday, it doesn't work. What is the difference between tuesday and friday?

A network update, that is clearly incompatible with my player.

Therefore it is not a problem with MY PLAYER or my DISC.

Try to follow.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:41 PM

LOL Good one bra!! yeah you're right, I'm just a fucking newbie here, sorry.
take it easy. I wish your thread the best!!

Here, take this flame shield! You'll need it!!
Old 10-20-2007, 03:51 PM
O_o

Quote:
LOL Good one bra!! yeah you're right, I'm just a fucking newbie here, sorry.
take it easy. I wish your thread the best!!

Here, take this flame shield! You'll need it!!
I see what you're saying, and yes this is better suited for HD DVD hardware, just like any BD hardware issues would be best for that board. This is smackdown.

Both sides have some issues, so if you are going to defect over one, it does seem silly. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:02 PM

I watched Transformers last night and....
Oh nothing watched transformers last night and three other movies.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonosis View Post
Both sides have some issues, so if you are going to defect over one, it does seem silly. Good luck.
Psst. I don't think he said he was defecting. He basically figured out the problem on his own so he really didn't need technical help from the HD DVD hardware board, what he needed was a good place to vent his frustration. Smackdown seems like a pretty good place to vent frustration to me.

How many threads were started about the BD+ compatibility issue on a couple of standalones? How many times did you tell those guys to take the issue into the Blu-ray hardware forum (as the problem was specific to hardware needing a firmware update, as opposed to this which goes more to an underlying issue with connectivity as it relates to the competing formats)? ...Or were you more likely to jump on the "2 players need a firmware update, therefore Blu-ray is teh suck and HD DVD r00lz0rz!" bandwagon?