Isn't bluray drives more likely to replace DVD drives for PC than HD DVD drives? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 89
Default Isn't bluray drives more likely to replace DVD drives for PC than HD DVD drives?

Hi, I'm new here and I just want to share my thought on this.

I think that is an important factor in this "format war". Although BD drives are still expensive, you can't even buy blank HD DVDs or HD DVD drives for desktop PCs. There is little to no difference between the two except for storage space and I think that's what will decide which is the successor for PC optical drives.

Another thing is if BD drives become mainstream, then BD movies is the only format you can backup with your PC.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-20-2007, 02:23 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragovian View Post
Hi, I'm new here and I just want to share my thought on this.

I think that is an important factor in this "format war". Although BD drives are still expensive, you can't even buy blank HD DVDs or HD DVD drives for desktop PCs. There is little to no difference between the two except for storage space and I think that's what will decide which is the successor for PC optical drives.

Another thing is if BD drives become mainstream, then BD movies is the only format you can backup with your PC.
You can buy blank HD-DVD's but there are not as numerous as BD-R's (in terms of CE support) and also, ironically enough, cost more than BD-R's. My local Fry's has an HP HD-DVD drive for $199 next to the Pioneer, Sony, etc Blu-Ray drives which all cost about $299.

I didn't see an HD-DVD RW drive but Blu-Ray RW were somewhere along $500+.

Anecdotes aside, Dell and Apple support Blu-Ray exclusively, wheras only Toshiba supports HD-DVD exclusively and HP has a slight HD-DVD tilt (many HP laptops advertise HD-DVD drives only, while PC's offer both types of drives I believe). In the end, any power user or business professional is going to pick Blu-Ray simply because of the superior capacity if cost is of no concern. Even if it is though; the prices have converged a lot and $50-$100 doesn't matter as much to a PC user who is looking at getting the best technology.

$50-100 is like upgrading by buying a stick of ram.

That being said, PC sellers might not influence the war directly since Blu-Ray will be mainy used for archiving data, but they will help drive costs lower for Blu-Ray tech by increasing demand for Blu-Ray drives, which is a very good thing for Sony.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-20-2007, 05:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 79
Default

computers.. microsoft... computers toshiba............. cmps leanin towards hd dvd? i think so.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Merlins's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukhat View Post
You can buy blank HD-DVD's but there are not as numerous as BD-R's (in terms of CE support) and also, ironically enough, cost more than BD-R's. My local Fry's has an HP HD-DVD drive for $199 next to the Pioneer, Sony, etc Blu-Ray drives which all cost about $299.

I didn't see an HD-DVD RW drive but Blu-Ray RW were somewhere along $500+.
You can find blank HD-DVD-R:s because Toshiba promised the disc manufactures that recorders was coming. Toshiba have failed miserably to manufacture recorders. The only ones that exists today is single speed, costs a fortune and burn incorrect most of the times according to reviews. The Toshiba burner is also very hard to get because Toshiba have big trouble manufacture the drives. The Toshiba SD-L912A (the only HD-DVD-RW-burner for PC:s...) was supposed to be released in July but I have not heard anything more than this about it:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=18985

Maybe the only way to get one is to buy a Qosmio G40-11L for $3,000...

Blu-ray companies have not focused on ROM-players (which is almost the only option for a HD-DVD-player) but on recorders. Sony just recently announced a new Blu-ray drive for under $200.
http://www.twice.com/article/CA6489168.html

You can get a Blu-ray recorder for the PC for $499 that are 2x speed and burns correct:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...891&CatId=2537

EDIT: Sorry, it does not look like the Qosmio G40-11L can burn HD-DVD-RW, only HD-DVD-R...
http://de.computers.toshiba-europe.c...hibaShop=false
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-20-2007, 06:45 AM
stevo4's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukhat View Post
... That being said, PC sellers might not influence the war directly since Blu-Ray will be mainy used for archiving data, but they will help drive costs lower for Blu-Ray tech by increasing demand for Blu-Ray drives, which is a very good thing for Sony.
Other than a few ppl using tem for backup in a home/soho situation they are unlikely to be used seriously for backups, they dont come close to competing with LTO technology.

With the price of HDD's so low atm, Bluray wont get that much use for backups, as they are still more costly on a $ per Gigabyte basis.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Merlins's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo4 View Post
Other than a few ppl using tem for backup in a home/soho situation they are unlikely to be used seriously for backups, they dont come close to competing with LTO technology.

With the price of HDD's so low atm, Bluray wont get that much use for backups, as they are still more costly on a $ per Gigabyte basis.
Harddrives (or any magnetic media) are not good for backup, only storage. The cheap harddrives might only increase the need of cheap backup media.

People are starting to record their home movies in full hd now and they use harddrives to store and edit them but they will need optical discs for backup and to play them in their friends homes.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-20-2007, 07:16 AM
CaptainCanuck's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,665
Default

If you believe the president of tdk who manufactures blu ray discs blu ray recording technology is way ahead of hd dvd .
You can buy the blank discs now but both players and discs are expensive.
Once the prices drop though i'm sure people will be duping blu ray discs just as they do s dvd's now.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-2007, 08:22 AM
stevo4's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlins View Post
Harddrives (or any magnetic media) are not good for backup, only storage.
I dont think so.
LTO, while not really practical, cost wise, for home use, is more widely used today for backups than BD is likely to be ever used for this purpose.

Maybe you should check out what business's use for backup systems, and I doubt very much there will be many, if any, relying on optical storage as a main form of backup media.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-20-2007, 09:11 AM
hi_i_am_wade's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 403
Default

You can get a laptop with a HD DVD drive from Toshiba for under $1000 on sale and HP, the world's biggest PC maker, also sells laptops with HD DVD drives. The cheapest you can get a HP with HD DVD is about $1300. I know all this because I was pricing out laptops.

In either case, both are far too expensive to be taken seriously. I can buy a magnetic tape backup with the uncompressed capacity of greater than a single-layer BD for less money.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Merlins's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_i_am_wade View Post
You can get a laptop with a HD DVD drive from Toshiba for under $1000 on sale and HP, the world's biggest PC maker, also sells laptops with HD DVD drives. The cheapest you can get a HP with HD DVD is about $1300. I know all this because I was pricing out laptops.
But it won't be a HD-DVD-R drive. It will only be a player and not a recorder. If you want a HD-DVD recorder you need to get the top model Qosimo for around $3,000...

What can you use a HD-DVD player (not recorder) for on a PC? The only purpose is to play HD-DVD movies. No other media exists and you can't record any data with it. For the PC:s is it burners that counts and Toshiba can't handle burners...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PlayStation Move Isn't Much More than a Wii HD tranzparentl Gaming Smackdown 848 11-02-2010 12:03 AM
Isn't Blu-ray being adopted at the same rate, or even more so than DVD was... emgesp High Definition Smackdown 133 03-20-2008 06:11 PM
HD DVD more than twice as popular than Blu-ray Disc at Netflix sonydude1966 High Definition Smackdown 7 10-10-2007 10:03 PM
Why the Xbox isn't doomed (it really isn't) Treadstone Gaming Smackdown 32 07-30-2007 01:11 PM
Blu-ray drives only $1 more than HD DVD marzetta7 High Definition Smackdown 13 12-20-2006 04:44 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off