Poll: Was Transformers Marketed On HD DVD As Well As It Could Have? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-19-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Was Transformers Marketed On HD DVD As Well As It Could Have?

Okay, I think we can all agree that Paramount going exclusive to HD DVD was the biggest news so far this year for HD DVD (probably the biggest news coming from a studio since the beginnings of the format war). I think we can also all agree that "Transformers" was the biggest exclusive day and date title that HD DVD has to offer all year on hidef (Bourne3 may be very close).

How does everybody feel about the marketing of Transformers on hidef? I saw quite a few ads on TV (major networks) that give the "coming to DVD and HD DVD" tagline, but I did not see any ads for HD DVD players or anything really showing off all the interactive features that HD DVD PRG buzzes about.

Could HD DVD have marketed better?

Last edited by ack_bak; 10-19-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:36 PM

I started seeing HD DVD commercials again and plenty of Transformers commercials. However, I expect the HD DVD commercials to go back into hiding after this week.

In a slightly related question, does anyone else think the HD DVD player commercial is really bad? I mean it pretty much bolds, italicizes, and underlines the fact it's a To$hiba product. Perhaps more proof it's proprietary?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:38 PM

Sorry all. My poll did not post for some reason. Just provide feedback if you want.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:07 PM

I think Transformers was marketed well...just not VERY well. Paramount did a good job for themselves, but HD-DVD could have done better with it. I think Transformers is a system seller and should have been marketed as such. Buy a 3rd gen player with Transformers and get...something! Pay Best Buy to run a 60" plasma screen with Transformers on an end cap full time for 2 weeks, etc.

HD-DVD has got to push their big movies harder...I don't think HD-DVD is doing a BAD job marketing...I just don't see them doing a GREAT job. Blu-ray is playing dirty, you have to play aggressive, and HD-DVD is just not getting itself muddy.

Oh well.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:12 PM

I think it could have been marketed better..
Old 10-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post
Blu-ray is playing dirty, you have to play aggressive, and HD-DVD is just not getting itself muddy.

Oh well.
Both sides have played dirty some point or another......it is time of the execution of it that will have a lasting impact....
Old 10-19-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post
I think Transformers was marketed well...just not VERY well. Paramount did a good job for themselves, but HD-DVD could have done better with it. I think Transformers is a system seller and should have been marketed as such. Buy a 3rd gen player with Transformers and get...something! Pay Best Buy to run a 60" plasma screen with Transformers on an end cap full time for 2 weeks, etc.

HD-DVD has got to push their big movies harder...I don't think HD-DVD is doing a BAD job marketing...I just don't see them doing a GREAT job. Blu-ray is playing dirty, you have to play aggressive, and HD-DVD is just not getting itself muddy.

Oh well.
That is exactly how I felt. I saw quite a few television ads with the "coming to DVD and HD DVD" line but no talk of special features, and no good cross promotions with HD DVD players. They should have combined this movie with the add-on on release day with the A2..
Old 10-19-2007, 02:17 PM

In canada, i have yet to see a single advertisement.....maybe i am just not looking.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:28 PM

I think both sides have been pretty tame in their marketing when it comes to new releases... Almost makes it seem like the studios treat HD-discs like the poor Step-child to it's beloved good son DVD.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Banned

Disney, with their new high def "Meet The Robinsons" ads is definitely the most aggresive studio in promoting their high def offerings. Only half the Transformers TV spots even displayed the HD DVD logo on screen and none of them that I saw ever vocally mentioned HD DVD. The Transformers TV spots that I saw were all in unglorious windowboxed SD as well.