My fears confirmed! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-19-2007, 10:33 AM

Default My fears confirmed!

Ok - so a while ago (before I was purple) I started a thread about Blu-Ray and how many of the studios were totally skimping out on extras.

Since I was not purple, I let the thread die out . . . but now I own a PS3, so this issue does affect me now.

So: where to begin? Spider-man 1 & 2? No new extras. But hey - they ported over the [email protected]$#!ing SDVD extras! Yeah!

From Hell? No high def extras, and none of the extras found in the 2-disc SDVD.

Edward Scissorhands? Some of the extras from the SDVD; nothing new in high def.

28 Weeks Later? One new ending - that's the only high def extra. Wow - thanks, Fox!

Hell - just go to the BD review page and sort by Star Grade: HD exculsives - only 10 get more than 2.5 stars! Compare that with 27 titles for HD DVD.

Sure, sure - many of you don't care about extras. Ok! :: But I do, and this is supposed to be the "next generation" of home movie watching, right? I hope the $10-15 extra I pay (the average difference between SDVD and its BD counterpart) is not JUST for the high def treatment.

To me, it's a matter of effort: studios who don't put any real effort into making these discs "next-gen" turn me off. Shouldn't they be trying hard NOW to impress us, in order to convince us to buy into this product? If Fox and MGM and other studios are not putting effort into extras NOW, when the product is still trying to catch on, how much effort will they put into this area later? None?

Sorry, but I feel I should get more for my $30 than just improved PQ and AQ. So far I am pleased with the PS3 and the PQ/AQ of the movies I have, but BD as a whole is not delivering on its promise of next-gen movie watching.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:39 AM

"Your fears confirmed"? ROFLMAO

So you bought a Blu-ray player just so you could use it to bitch about how bad Blu-ray is?

Ever heard of a company named Paramount and a pair of releases for Top Gun and the Jack Ryan collection?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:40 AM

I also have a PS3 and have only purchased about 6 BD's since i bought it.(about 4 months ago) I have had an HD DVD player for 8 months and have 48 HD DVD's. I definatly feel like the blu-ray studios are skipping out on extras and personally i enjoy them. The extras on Transformers are freakin awesome. As a whole,yes HD DVD has way more new features and extras but there are releases from both formats that simply port the SDVD extras and that sucks for both formats. I think the quote says it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmslives View Post
Hell - just go to the BD review page and sort by Star Grade: HD exculsives - only 10 get more than 2.5 stars! Compare that with 27 titles for HD DVD.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:44 AM

Fox is the worst when it comes to extras (especially on catalog releases). I was a little disappointed with Spiderman 1+2 extras but you know we are being setup for another buy when BD-J 1.1+2.0 is completed. HD DVD is certainly superior for extras on most new releases (PiP and webenabled features), but I really do not see HD DVD catalog titles offering much over the majority of DVD or BD catalog titles?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sure, sure - many of you don't care about extras. Ok! :: But I do
What the hell? You've been here how long? Both sides have bare releases, you can read reviews here and on other sites before the discs come out to see what has extras, what doesn't, etc., etc.

I think you already knew that, so I don't have much sympathy for you.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo976 View Post
"Your fears confirmed"? ROFLMAO

So you bought a Blu-ray player just so you could use it to bitch about how bad Blu-ray is?

Ever heard of a company named Paramount and a pair of releases for Top Gun and the Jack Ryan collection?
Step back dude - I have said NOTHING untrue or overly negative about Blu-Ray. I love my PS3, so no, I did not buy one just to bitch. If you knew ANYTHING about me you would know that.

Also - if you read my posts in the thread on the Paramount blunder, you would see I made fun of them, too. See, unlike some people, I can point out faults of both sides.

Way to totally NOT discuss the topic, by the way.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:46 AM

On the blu-ray side, I think studios currently have their hands tied due to the lack of profile 1.1 and 2.0 players plus having to deal with the quirks of BD-Java. Until all of these issues get worked out, I think they will either forego any extras or just keep things status quo (SD-DVD extras). They could also be skimping now with plans to re-release everything as a collectors edition set or something. DVD has been doing this since the beginning.

On the HD-DVD side, great strides have been made in terms of extras and interactivity. Check out Transformers for example. It is loaded with extra features which I have found to be pretty cool. For the hd-dvd titles that are lacking extras (like Top Gun), i think the studios are also going to re-release these titles.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:48 AM

I'm personally pretty dissappointed in Robocop. Must have classic, and its a mediocre MPEG2 transfer with zero extras.

Fox is a dump, clearly. Sony at least is hit or miss. Disney is clearly Blu-Ray's top studio. Quality transfers, lots of extras and (go figure) the lowest prices of the trio. I think their rhetoric against HD DVD is childish, but at least they deliver the goods.

So I wouldn't chalk this up against Blu-Ray specifically at all. Clearly the issue is the studios themselves.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
So: where to begin? Spider-man 1 & 2? No new extras. But hey - they ported over the [email protected]$#!ing SDVD extras! Yeah!
Acccctuallllyyyy, they didn't even port over the SDVD extras...
Old 10-19-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Guru View Post
What the hell? You've been here how long? Both sides have bare releases, you can read reviews here and on other sites before the discs come out to see what has extras, what doesn't, etc., etc.

I think you already knew that, so I don't have much sympathy for you.
Read my post again - I address the lack of EFFORT. Look - The Matrix boxed set COULD HAVE just been rushed out, with no effort to include IME. WB could have had the attitude of "Well, at least you are getting a PQ and AQ upgrade - be happy with that."

But they didn't, and I appreciate that. The Spider-man trilogy is the equivalent of The Matrix trilogy - I will not buy it if they only ported over the SDVD extras, because to me that shows a lack effort to really make those titles "next-gen."

Guess I hit a sore spot - I was supposed to follow BD blindly just because I bought a PS3, eh?

And who cares if I get your sympathy? Especially since I am not asking for it anyway - I like my PS3 a lot, for like the third time this thread.