Is it even debateable anymore? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-18-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Is it even debateable anymore?

A PS3 40GB for $399 is a killer good price, combined with an avalanche of what looks like is going to be huge sellers for BD, not to mention most are exclusives and I think it's pretty easy to say that BD owns the holidays of 2007. I predict that Warner goes BD exclusive within 6-8 months and Univesal goes neutral in about that same timeframe.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:28 PM

keep dreaming an usually in a debate people use facts not speculation please come again.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:30 PM

Lol please.

The last $100 ps3 price drop gave them a very short boost in sales. After that the sales fell off even more than before. have you seen the horrible ps3 sales numbers from last month?

There is no reason to assume PS3 will get anything more than a boost in sales from this price drop. They won't be able to sustain good sales until they have exclusive games on the level of Gears, Bioschok, and Halo 3.

Face it. The massive boost blu-ray received from PS3 will never be matched from what it was in the first few months of the PS3 Launch. Ever since HD DVD has been holding it's own.

Another $100 price drop isn't not going to have that big of an impact.

I think you could argue the $199 HD-A2 being sold at Walmart will have a bigger impact on the HD movie market than the PS3 getting a price drop to $399.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:33 PM

Yeah.. makes complete sense.. universal stays loyal to hd dvd when they are down and its just them standing alone against all the other major movie studios in the format war.. but now when they have someone join them with hd dvd exclusive.. its time to switch to neutral... makes sense.. come on hd dvd has kept itself alive with just universal. and now that they have paramount w/them you keep talking about how hd dvd is still gonna die out... again. makes complete sense.... universal. warner. none of them are switching there stance anytime soon. keep dreaming.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Banned

They say by laughing more you can add 8 years to your life. Your thread added about six months to mine already ......LOL.....Thanks.....
Old 10-18-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post
A PS3 40GB for $399 is a killer good price, combined with an avalanche of what looks like is going to be huge sellers for BD, not to mention most are exclusives and I think it's pretty easy to say that BD owns the holidays of 2007. I predict that Warner goes BD exclusive within 6-8 months and Univesal goes neutral in about that same timeframe.
I agree with what your saying except for the fact that Universal might go Blu neutral with-in 6-8 months. They might since they have been seen at Blu-Ray producing plants and it has been confirmed by several BD.com insiders there. For sure BD has the strongest release schedule of the both formats, they'll have heavy hitters like the Spiderman trilogy, Ratatouille, Superbad, LFODH & Die Hard series, cars, and 2 new line cinema exclusives to Blu-Ray Rush Hour 3 & Hair Spray.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
Another $100 price drop isn't not going to have that big of an impact.

I think you could argue the $199 HD-A2 being sold at Walmart will have a bigger impact on the HD movie market than the PS3 getting a price drop to $399.
I think even though both price drops have been $100 this drop will show much better sales than the last drop. At $499 they really didn't make it any more affordable because the 20gb was already available at that price for those that could afford it. I think $399 will have a much better response because it will have more people that can afford $399 vs $499. Likewise, if it ever gets to $299 it will bring an even bigger response in sales. IF it ever gets to $199 I think that is when it will really be affordable to the masses.

I think the reason a PS3 price drop will have more affect on the war than an HDA1 price drop is everyone knows the playstation name and is familiar with what it does, thus a pricedrop should equal more sales. Both HD DVD and Blu-ray are still gaining name recognition and IMO many consumers will just look at the players and notice they are still $100+ above DVD and not realize it is a totally different product. This is the reason that I like the fact they are including a BD disk in the 40gb, I just don't think most people realize what BD (or HD DVD) are and by including a disk you are exposing more people to the new format.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraver69 View Post
I agree with what your saying except for the fact that Universal might go Blu neutral with-in 6-8 months. They might since they have been seen at Blu-Ray producing plants and it has been confirmed by several BD.com insiders there. For sure BD has the strongest release schedule of the both formats, they'll have heavy hitters like the Spiderman trilogy, Ratatouille, Superbad, LFODH & Die Hard series, cars, and 2 new line cinema exclusives to Blu-Ray Rush Hour 3 & Hair Spray.
Wow, there is a bunch of "spin" in this post. 2 New Line exclusives??? Who are you kidding. They are not exclusives at all. You can argue that they will be coming to BD first, but you can't escape the fact that they are coming to HD DVD after global screening of the films is done. The reason HD gets them later is due to HD DVDs being region free, and New Line doesn't want these films in people's homes while the movie is still being shown in their local theatres. It has nothing to do with Blu-Ray being New Line's format of choice. You try to make it sound that way and you can't deny that.

Universal go neutral? BD.com insiders confirmation? Would you trust a Toshiba fanboy saying " I can confirm that I saw Sony and Disney reps at an HD DVD production facility"? I think not, and it's the same exact thing. Odds against this are huge. Universal is staked in HD DVD, as is Paramount and now even Microsoft with their proprietary rights to "HDi". Microsoft has never had a reason to push HD DVD other than the fact that Sony doesn't gain from it. Now, with MS owning "HDi", they are more invested in the technology than ever, and they will push it hard. You haven't seen anything from the HD DVD armory yet - it's coming. Microsoft may end up subsidizing HD DVD prices so Toshiba can cut costs and push Blu-Ray out of the market.

Hypothetically, If Universal does go neutral, it will be years down the road when HD DVD is at the bitter end. I can't ever see HD DVD going away, though. The support is growing - not shrinking. Unlike the BD fanboys would like to claim, this is against every single claim of death of HD DVD you guys have prayed to God for. I have never seen people as bitter as current democrats and Blu-Ray fanboys/Microsoft haters.

With all that said, both sides currently have and are continuing to get killer titles that each side will claim as a "devastating blow" to the other format. A $400 PS3 will boost Blu-Ray sales to people dying to get into a PS3 at that range. However, most people would opt to keep playing and buying Xbox 360 because it has some unbelievably great games that the PS3 just can't match. Afterall, what is the point of a videogame console??? My guess would be that people buy them with "gaming" as their #1 reason, and bonus features, such as Blu-Ray come 2nd. However, there is an exception to these standards, and they are called fanboys. These are the people who will pay any price to have the game console of the electronics manufacturer on whose nut$ they like to swing. they will be dedicated to the electronics manufacturer more than they will be to their own parents... even if the system does not satisy its primary purpose.

Cheap standalone players, and they haven't come yet, will move both HD DVD players AND Blu-Ray players faster than the PS3 effect has forced Blu-Ray adoption thus far. If HD DVD hits $199, it has a far greater impact to your average person than a $399 PS3. I know some of you can't come to terms with that because you know it to be true, and it does not compute with your Sony loving, brainwashed minds.

Wal-Mart will have mega advertising campaigns behind this player if the reports of the $199 player are accurate. And guess what - people will eat it up. Blu-Ray winning Christmas? Not a snowball's chance in H3LL if $199 HD DVD players are true. The magic price point does exist. $199 might not be it, but it's getting closer.

The reality is that both HD DVD and Blu-Ray are losers right now trying to gain ground on DVD. They MUST hit a price point where your average consumer will buy a high-def format and toss their DVD player. The actual price may be $100, but $199 is better than $299. Confidence has only grown in HD DVD. If you follow the latest news on the "format war" you'll know that without me having to spew it all out here.

Blu-Ray fanboys, attack away. I know it's coming.

Last edited by dragonZ28; 10-18-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Banned

YOu mean $399 is no longer the "magic price" that we were being told it was from HD DVD fanboys this time last year?

Shucks, who would have guessed it eh?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonZ28 View Post
Wow, there is a bunch of "spin" in this post. 2 New Line exclusives??? Who are you kidding. They are not exclusives at all. You can argue that they will be coming to BD first, but you can't escape the fact that they are coming to HD DVD after global screening of the films is done.
They ARE exclusives to Blu-ray in the same way that Terminator 3 has been exclusive to HD DVD for sometime, just for different reasons.