$198 Wal-Mart HD DVD; HD DVD-enabled 360; Lionsgate HD DVD; all speculative threads - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Banned

Default $198 Wal-Mart HD DVD; HD DVD-enabled 360; Lionsgate HD DVD; all speculative threads

Just as a quick reference, three of the front page threads that have rather sensationalistic headlines, are all either incorrect or unsubstantiated.

1) Only one anonymous internet poster has claimed Wal-Mart is about to sell a sub-$200 HD DVD player
2) Microsoft have not announced an HD DVD enabled 360
3) Lionsgate have no plans currently to support HD DVD

Just thought that should be succinctly wrapped up in one easy thread

Last edited by HD Guru; 10-18-2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: I found my missing "a" :-)
Old 10-18-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Guru View Post
Just as a quick reference, three of the front page threads that have rather sensationlistic headlines, are all either incorrect or unsubstantiated.

1) Only one anonymous internet poster has claimed Wal-Mart is about to sell a sub-$200 HD DVD player
2) Microsoft have not announced an HD DVD enabled 360
3) Lionsgate have no plans currently to support HD DVD

Just thought that should be succinctly wrapped up in one easy thread
Oh, and you forgot one more:

4) Blu-Ray will rule the world and enslave us all!!!!

Sorry, I forgot to take my ritalin this morning.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:49 PM

So they go along with a great many Blue Ray threads. So where is the problem? I can't imagine the percentage of bullshit written on this board everyday.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:54 PM

you should hope that none of this will happen as it will [email protected]#ed up your blu-ray big times.

but i think that

1. will happen. I mean Future Shop (Canada) had TOSHIBA HD-DVD players on sale for $199 and THEY ALL SOLD VERY, VERY QUICKLY

2. It might happend as TOSHIBA HD-DVD hardware prices are going down so now MICROSOFT can incluse the hd-dvd drive without somer crazy price like PS3.

3. there is a movie made by LIONGATE for HD-DVD on AMAZON.com you know. Adding a new HD-DVD production line of small studio like that is not as expensive as adding a new BLU-RAY production line.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasr View Post
So they go along with a great many Blue Ray threads. So where is the problem? I can't imagine the percentage of bullshit written on this board everyday.
Excellent point. Also can we say if you are going to try and use big words such as unsubstantiated and sensationalistic that we should know how to spell them. I am stating this as missing an a in the second word makes it a lot harder to read i am however assuming that HD Guru just made a typo as he usually has impeccable spelling skills. So HD Guru maybe go ahead and edit that so that the word is so much easier to read and gets its point accross better, because it truly is a magnificent word.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:00 PM
O_o

Thread is petty, so now OP is advocating on behalf of the community? Yet I have seen a myriad of suggestive threads from Blu-fans. Like "Meijer is dropping HD DVD" etc.

Worried about pro-HD DVD news spreading like wildfire? And yet you refrain from such advocacy when people like Bill Hunt perpetuate ill-information or speculation from one anonymous source about Future Shop? I guess it's ok when the speculation is HD is being dropped but not the other way around? Double standard indeed. I wish some of these people, like OP would stop pretending.

1. Wal-mart info on engadget, far more credible than the crud Bill Hunt posts such as FS nonsense that several Blu-fans posted here. See http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/10/18...ound-the-bend/
2. 360 info is from Sony's former exclusive retail exec, see http://xbox360achievements.org/news/news.php?id=294
3. Lionsgate thread is properly titled, and cites the source as Amazon. It's perfectly reasonable to discuss it. Do you think we wouldn't see a thread or two or three, and a newsflash on BD.com and Bill Hunt if Amazon posted "Transformers [Blu-ray]"? Let's be realistic here.

This thread is FUD.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonosis View Post
Thread is petty, so now OP is advocating on behalf of the community? Yet I have seen a myriad of speculative and suggestive threads from Blu-fans. Let the mods make that determination, starting your own thread is just silly.

1. Wal-mart info on engadget, far more credible than the crud Bill Hunt posts such as FS nonsense that several Blu-fans posted here. See http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/10/18...ound-the-bend/
2. 360 info is from Sony's former exclusive retail exec, see http://xbox360achievements.org/news/news.php?id=294
3. Lionsgate thread is properly titled, and cites the source as Amazon. It's perfectly reasonable to discuss it. Do you think we wouldn't see a thread or two or three, and a newsflash on BD.com and Bill Hunt if Amazon posted "Transformers [Blu-ray]"? Let's be realistic here.

This thread is FUD.
You don't understand FUD - the other three threads are FUD, this is FUD-busting.

1) Engadget is posting based on the same anonymous internet poster at one Wal-Mart store - how does that suddenly make it more reliable than DB posting the same rumour? Try and discern the difference between facts and rumours. This is of the latter.

2) MS have made no announcements other than that they WOULD NOT put HD DVD into the 360 and the also recently shot down the rumour than a new 360 add-on was on the way.

September 21st, 2007 - http://homemediamagazine.com/news/ht...ticle_ID=11239

Quote:
Microsoft will not be releasing an updated HD DVD add-on to its Xbox 360 in 2008, according to Personal Computer World.

The magazine first reported the updated add-on on its Web site Sept. 20 while covering a Microsoft event in London. Reporter Clive Akass wrote on Sept. 21 that Microsoft was denying the add-on was a reality.

“A Microsoft spokesperson also told me this morning that there will be no plans to incorporate HD DVD into the PC platform in the future,” Akass wrote. “He may have said something he didn't mean to, but Mark Bennett, business development director for HD DVD at Microsoft Europe, told me there would be a new HD DVD drive in 2008 when I pressed him about the dominance of Blu-ray in the market.

“Bennett wouldn't go into details and I have no idea what kind of drive might be on the horizon, since it could be new [colors], a slimmer redesign or internal changes to support upcoming triple layer HD DVDs.”
3) That Amazon listing is for Invasion - a direct to DVD title otherwise known as "Infection" - the DVD will have Dolby 2.0 sound. Here is the movie's listing on imdb.com (http://imdb.com/title/tt0472465/) - if you really think Lions Gate are suddenly jumping into HD DVD with this movie then go ahead and run with it.

Now you tell me again this is all FUD and explain why, because your initial assesment just crumbled.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Oh my lawd....what a surprise.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaler View Post
Excellent point. Also can we say if you are going to try and use big words such as unsubstantiated and sensationalistic that we should know how to spell them. I am stating this as missing an a in the second word makes it a lot harder to read i am however assuming that HD Guru just made a typo as he usually has impeccable spelling skills. So HD Guru maybe go ahead and edit that so that the word is so much easier to read and gets its point accross better, because it truly is a magnificent word.
Fixed. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:18 PM
O_o

Reply to those respective threads with your info and debate/discuss it. No need to start this thread because no one posted "Breaking news Lionsgate goes HD" the thread is properly labeled and with a question mark, to identify it's unknown/uncertain.

Yes one anonymous source about Wal, but the same could be said of PS3 $399 entry, which Sony denied and it's only now confirmed. We have had myriads of threads about it, and how it will end the war. I didn't see you advocating to cease the spread of potentially misinformation in that case or the one regarding FS? So it's clear you only want to advocate when it suits you.

Of course MS will deny it, they don't want people to not buy 360 and wait for the HD edition. Just like the HDMI Elite edition. About the $200 player it's long been said that such a player was due this quarter, so it's a little more reasonable to expect.

On LG, perhaps Amazon posted an error, but ultimately people are free to discuss it. Again the thread title is accurate and clear.

I said FUD, because it's clear you don't want these pro-HD threads to be discussed. I noticed you did not address my comments about Blu-fans engaged in the very practice of posting such topics like Meijer and FS.

Last edited by Geonosis; 10-18-2007 at 06:31 PM.