RUMOR: Microsoft: Xbox 360 with Built In HD-DVD Drive On The Way - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Banned

Default RUMOR: Microsoft: Xbox 360 with Built In HD-DVD Drive On The Way

Now this is what I'm talking about!

In some exciting news for HD-DVD fans, Scott Browning, one of the most experienced CE retail marketing executives in Australia, has revealed that Microsoft is preparing to launch a new Xbox 360 console featuring a built in HD-DVD drive. The Marketing Director made the announcement whilst commenting on the shock decision (Which left many Sony execs stunned) of JB HiFi dropping their exclusive support for Blu ray and start selling the Toshiba backed HD DVD. Browning believes that with movie powerhouses such as Paramount, Dreamworks and Universal all firmly behind the HD DVD format, support for the medium will increase and that it's now only a matter of time when Microsoft (who are also in the HD-DVD camp), will release the built in HD-DVD 360 console.

" The fact that movie houses like Paramount are behind the HD-DVD format along with the like of DreamWorks is key. I believe that more content providers will get behind the format and that the likes of Microsoft who are big supporters of the HD DVD format will bring out an Xbox with a built in HD DVD player. This is a given."

Lately, Sony have boasted of their superior Blu-Ray sales ratios when compared to HD-DVD, with many PS3 owners purchasing the discs, with a built in HD-DVD Xbox 360 console, will Microsoft be able to claw back some lost ground in the HD format wars? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Link:
http://xbox360achievements.org/news/news.php?id=294
Old 10-18-2007, 03:41 PM

What's the saying... wish in one hand, shat in the other...

What is Mr. Browning's position w/Microsoft again?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:42 PM

more bad news for bd??
damn, I really don't know how much more they can take this week!!
Old 10-18-2007, 03:43 PM

ehhh, I could see it happening.... But it will be more expensive than any of the current models, I'll bet.

Not to mention, isn't 1x HD (the fastest HD movie drives out there) slower than the 360's standard 12x DVD?

This is very interesting and I wish they would have done this a while ago but it's never too late.

Would be nice to get an official confirmation and a release date and price.

Whoa slow down there tiger! Mr Browning in no way said this is definite but could forsee this as a possibility. As sweet as it would be there has never been an official announcement..Exact quote from the Article...

The fact that movie houses like Paramount are behind the HD DVD format along with the like of DreamWorks is key. I believe that more content providers will get behind the format and that the likes of Microsoft who are big supporters of the HD DVD format will bring out an Xbox with a built in HD DVD player. This is a given he said".

Hes just stating this could very well happen when you have these companies backing HD DVD...

here is the article

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/HD/hd_dvd/c6x4a7h5

Microsoft hasn't announced anything. It's just wishful thinking by Scott Browning.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:46 PM

hmmm I find this hard to believe, Microsoft has been behind HDDVD since inception and they have yet to release an Xbox360 with a built-in HDDVD player, even when they had the chance to do so with the Elite model which I currently own. If that does happen, which is highly unlikely, the new new new Xbox360 will be priced at $499 easily. And by the time it is announced, confirmed, manufacutered, and released, the PS3's bluray "attachment rates" will be about as hard for the xbox360 to catch up to just as hard it is for the PS3 to catch up to the xbox360 with good exclusive games.

I love my xbox360 but I highly doubt Microsoft would dump yet another SKU into the mix, especially when they announced 3 new SKUs recently. (Arcade, Premium, Elite), plus Sony is already pulling ahead with the $399 PS3 which will be an overwhelming success this holiday season, again I still personally prefer the x360 for gaming, so I am not trying to be biased, just look at my game collection below.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:47 PM

Testing for echo. Testing for echo.

If true, I guess Microsoft feels Sony was right. I don't know why they didn't release it first part of this year. Their top of the line model should have always had HD DVD built-in. Welcome to the Microsoft Playstation 2.5.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by numnuts77 View Post
Whoa slow down there tiger! Mr Browning in no way said this is definite but could forsee this as a possibility. As sweet as it would be there has never been an official announcement..Exact quote from the Article...

The fact that movie houses like Paramount are behind the HD DVD format along with the like of DreamWorks is key. I believe that more content providers will get behind the format and that the likes of Microsoft who are big supporters of the HD DVD format will bring out an Xbox with a built in HD DVD player. This is a given he said".

Hes just stating this could very well happen when you have these companies backing HD DVD...

here is the article

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/HD/hd_dvd/c6x4a7h5
Did you read my post...that's not even the website I got this from!...this thread is about the news post and only of the post to the link that I gave.