T3 Blu-ray is NOT profile 1.1 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-18-2007, 03:12 AM

Default T3 Blu-ray is NOT profile 1.1

From Home Media Magazine

Quote:
Daniel Silverberg, VP of HD media development for the studio, noted that the T3 Blu-ray is not Blu-ray profile 1.1, the mandated programming required for all Blu-ray players introduced after Oct. 31. Profile 1.1 requires the addition of a second video decoder, allowing for PIP features, and expansion of required memory to 256MB. Both Lionsgate and Disney previously have released Blu-ray discs that allow for some PIP using current BD technology.

“We remain hopeful that Blu-ray hardware manufacturers get Profile 1.1 and BD Live (profile 2.0) players into the market place soon and the user base grows in order for us to deliver the same interactive and connected content on all high-def discs regardless of format,” Silverberg said.
Therefore, in all likelihood the IME of T3 will be the 'fake' PiP used on other Blu-ray titles in the past, such as The Descent.

Last edited by Grubert; 10-18-2007 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:32 AM

So they're basically saying they've had no valid excuse for delaying titles such as T3, V for Vendetta, Matrix trilogy, etc...? Why haven't they just been doing this all along is my question.

I've always wondered why they haven't done that since the encodes are designed to fit on a 30gig disc leaving them with a minimum of 20gigs of free space on a BD-50 for a second encode of the flick.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:52 AM

Well, to the viewer, the results are the same. Get the rest of those WB titles ready. And ship my order!
Old 10-18-2007, 05:41 AM
formerly Blu Christmas

WB has no reason. They've released titles without the PiP included on Blu-ray and the sales have done just fine (300 anyone?).

Many conspiracy theorist believe they were paid to not release their big hits like the Matrix and Batman back in the days (along with snubbing Blu-ray on inferior audio mixes). All of that changed around the release of 300.

Of course, the longer they wait to release these movies, the more it feeds the conspiracy folks.

I think it has already been proven - a lack of PiP on a disc is not a deal breaker for most people and most who were considering buying T3 - are probably still considering buying T3.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiller42 View Post
Well, to the viewer, the results are the same. Get the rest of those WB titles ready. And ship my order!
yea, JSP doesn't care how the PIP is developed, if he even cares about PIP at all. I still say the PS3 will be 1.1 compliant this year.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Christmas View Post
I think it has already been proven - a lack of PiP on a disc is not a deal breaker for most people and most who were considering buying T3 - are probably still considering buying T3.
While it may not be a deal breaker, there were a number of blu-boys in the previous thread clamoring how great it was and how Blu-ray has caught up to HD DVD, etc. It was like one big circle jerk. I guess there was a little premature jerking going on.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 AM

Default What's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiller42 View Post
Well, if it is not a big deal, when can we expect the 2 disc dvd sets to have pip commentary on the second disk with the movie? I looks like it can be done and people will pay for 2 disc sets. At least they will for a popular title. That is my opinion. I know many will say it isn't the same because it is on one disc. I'm sure it will be some of the same ones that said that "Transformers" without True encode would be no good even though it got a 5 for audio. Point being that no one should get away with a cheat since it isn't True Next Gen in my opinion. Even if it is your format of choice don't make excuses for the company. Stay on them so they can both continue to make advances to make a better product for YOU. If you give them an out, you better believe they will take it and not worry so much about making your players better.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrob View Post
yea, JSP doesn't care how the PIP is developed, if he even cares about PIP at all. I still say the PS3 will be 1.1 compliant this year.
J6P has not bought either format yet, so far all we have seen is a large percent of early adopters dont care about PiP which is a little more telling in my opinion.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:14 AM

I think one reason that WB hasn't done more of these "fake" PiP releases is due to cost. They've been saving money by encoding only one version of the film for HD DVD and then porting to BD. They're pretty much tossing those savings now by re-authoring a second BD version for T3 - this time with the PiP window burned in. This forces them into encoding two versions of the film, which is something they've tried to avoid.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LembasBread View Post
So they're basically saying they've had no valid excuse for delaying titles such as T3, V for Vendetta, Matrix trilogy, etc...? Why haven't they just been doing this all along is my question.
The reality is they hate Blu-Ray and love to annoy Blu-Rayers.