Is it just me, or does IGN's coverage of the Hi Def war really suck? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-18-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Is it just me, or does IGN's coverage of the Hi Def war really suck?

Honestly...I'm looking at the news, and I'm seeing JB Hi Fi going Purple, as in HD-DVD and both Blu Ray. And they discuss how Blu Ray is taking a massive slap from the retailer, despite lack of words that Blu Ray is relatively winning strongly in Australia. I know I'm a bit of a fanboy for Blu Ray so bear with me. But I've noticed other pieces on the war, and I swear they seem to be biased like Digital Bits. It's not as blatant since it's much more of a media outlet instead of a blog kinda thing, but they seem to lack keeping balanced on both sides.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 10-18-2007, 01:01 AM

IGN is NOT what it used to be. Although it is true. I remember the stories about JB Hi Fi supporting only Blu and saying that there would not be anyway possible they would support HD DVD but look what happened now. "Inmediately" support for HD DVD.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
Honestly...I'm looking at the news, and I'm seeing JB Hi Fi going Purple, as in HD-DVD and both Blu Ray. And they discuss how Blu Ray is taking a massive slap from the retailer, despite lack of words that Blu Ray is relatively winning strongly in Australia. I know I'm a bit of a fanboy for Blu Ray so bear with me. But I've noticed other pieces on the war, and I swear they seem to be biased like Digital Bits. It's not as blatant since it's much more of a media outlet instead of a blog kinda thing, but they seem to lack keeping balanced on both sides.
Who cares.. there is no true unbiased look into anything. All coverage of things are bent either way with everything. Until either side folds the tents (which isnt going to happen for a VERY VERY long time) it doesn't matter.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:07 AM

just a few points form me.

1) what is JB Hi Fi?

ive never heard of them

2) and i know i will get flamed for this, but you cant get an unbias site or piece of information. BUT if you ignore the spin people put on things i find that the digital bits is one of the ebst sites out there.

Seriously look at it, they report releases for both formats, they talk about deals made, and both good news and bad for both.

and when they post rumors they state up front its a rumor and what it may actually be. If you ignore any statements of opinion i think most people would find that the site is fairly even handed, they have posted good and bad news for both formats there, and i cant think of much that they have ever left out. they even avoid the frivolous information like Jos's dvd's to stock BD in their 200 square foot store.

You cant really expect much more than that, you can ask for it, but you cant expect it.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd expect great analysis from a gaming site.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:15 AM
Banned

Most gaming sites are anti-blu-ray and know nothing about the format wars. Also they tend to be more pro-360 than the general public because most editors tend to be hardcore gamers.

In general though, IRL, my anecdotal experiences all speak to Blu-Ray winning while online HD-DVD has always seemed to be more "popular." There's just so many more people buying Blu-Ray in my exurb at Best Buy, Circuity City, Fry's, etc. And customer service representatives who are not fanboys always seem to be pro-Blu-Ray.

I think its just really easy to make people take the chance on Blu-Ray at this stage of the game because you also get a Playstation game console, and its likely going to stay that way for a very long time.

That being said, the more Blu-Ray wins, I think the more HD-DVD fanboys you are going to see here, posting lots more as a response.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmoviefan101 View Post
I'm not sure I'd expect great analysis from a gaming site.
They arent really a "gameing site".. They cover all media,, from tv, movies, dvd, bluray, hddvds, sports, awesome cars, and hot models...and, of course, games.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I think you are 100% correct. IGN is not what it use to be.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Honestly...I'm looking at the news, and I'm seeing JB Hi Fi going Purple, as in HD-DVD and both Blu Ray. And they discuss how Blu Ray is taking a massive slap from the retailer, despite lack of words that Blu Ray is relatively winning strongly in Australia.
Strongly is also kind of relatively. 80-85% of a number of consumers, around 0.1-0.5% of the total consumermass is ..... everything but, strongly.

People ought to calculate in total numbers, instead of rubbish percentages or at least note the absolute numbers, when refering to percentages. But truth is, that studios statements about winning, would then look utterly ridicolous.

Truth is. That we're stuck with two formats for a long time and the best deal is for people to get purple sooner, than later.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:31 AM

To be honest, I can't word what I'm trying to say right and I'd rather delete this topic.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club