Blu-ray vs HD DVD: The Aftermath - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-17-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Blu-ray vs HD DVD: The Aftermath

Hello everyone!

My question to all of you teckies out there is this. Since both formats use the blue laser, and their are dual format players out there, is it possible for say a Toshiba A30 to get a firmware upgrade to play blu-ray or vice versa with a Sony to play HD DVD in the future? Is it at all possible if one of the formats gives in an loses for owners to get firmware upgrades to be able to play both? Any thoughts on this at all?

Also, if one of the company's give in to pressure and concede do you think there is a possibility that to gain the opposite teams acceptance and to not allienate crowds of people with an obsolete format that royalties will be nixed and players to become dual format as to not lose out completely. In the end with this idea, could we see that being an early adopter only hurts in the player department and not disc viewing department?

Could it be that thought one format might take over in the future that all players will be backwards compatible to play the old discs so that people don't lose entirely on their investment?

Thoughts, comments, concerns? What do you all think?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:01 AM

Just try playing a blu-ray in your a30...the Sony black helicopters will be buzzing outside your window
Old 10-17-2007, 10:06 AM

I don't know man. Sony loves their proprietary formats and everything. I highly doubt seeing an HD DVD disc in a Blu-ray player.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:14 AM

I have read though of course its unconfirmed that it may be possible for a BD disc to play an HD-DVD disc with a firmware update, but the reverse is not possible. aparently it has to do with the layer depths a BD player has to be able to focus on the DVD layer, and the BD layer, but an HD-DVD player only has to focus on the DVD layer which is the same as the HD-DVD layer. (in terms of depth of the layer)

Now before anyone flames me, this is just something i read i have no proof but it does make some sense.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calereneau View Post
I don't know man. Sony loves their proprietary formats and everything. I highly doubt seeing an HD DVD disc in a Blu-ray player.
And that's the most ignorant statement. Blu-ray isn't a closed proprietary format. I guess it's proprietary because you have to pay for the license and such things. But it's not any different than HD-DVD in that matter.

The reason both formats are not compatible is because they use different optics , the layers are in arranged differently and well, software stuff.
BD players also include DVD/HD-DVD optics I think, but I dont think that makes them 'capable' of playing HD-DVD.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I have read though of course its unconfirmed that it may be possible for a BD disc to play an HD-DVD disc with a firmware update, but the reverse is not possible. aparently it has to do with the layer depths a BD player has to be able to focus on the DVD layer, and the BD layer, but an HD-DVD player only has to focus on the DVD layer which is the same as the HD-DVD layer. (in terms of depth of the layer)

Now before anyone flames me, this is just something i read i have no proof but it does make some sense.
It does. The optics used in DVD and HD-DVD are the same. HD-DVD is basically a dvd with higher density. But a Blu-ray has the data layer closer to the surface (hence the mandatory hard coating), so DVD/HD-DVD lenses are useless.
Since BD players include compatibility for DVD, they must have the DVD lense somewhere. But I don't know how it works internally. If anything, the only thing it could mean is that it wouldn't be that hard for a BD manufacturer to turn the thing into an HD-DVD player.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:31 AM

Amir has said that the optical pickup of Blu-ray could be used to read HD DVD discs, but not vice versa. To be able to play the disc needs the hardware tho, so technically the PS3 should be able to read HD DVDs, but that's the only possible format conversion is the PS3 could be upgraded to play HD DVDs. Personally if they did that, then it actually would be worth the $399, but the chances of them acknowledging the ability let-along actually doing anything is slim to none.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:05 AM

I think it it were the cheap to have either format read the other Samsung and LG would be pumping out some very cheap Dual Format players.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calereneau View Post
I don't know man. Sony loves their proprietary formats and everything.
Proprietary?

Make a list of which companies currently have standalone players available would you, then get back to us on which format is proprietary.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
Personally if they did that, then it actually would be worth the $399.
So the only reason the PS3 is not worth $399 is because it doesn't play HD DVD discs?