Meijer offers only Blu-ray on Web site - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-16-2007, 07:04 PM

Thumbs up Meijer offers only Blu-ray on Web site

Meijer offers only Blu-ray on Web site

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6491629.html

Quote:
For now, Blu-ray Disc has an edge at regional mass merchant Meijer, which began offering Blu-ray titles exclusively on its Web site in mid-September.

The site offers about 300 Blu-ray titles, which is a full representation of releases that studios have streeted to this point.

Numbering about 180 outlets across Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky and Ohio, Meijer does offer a limited number of both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles in stores.

The Meijer site is selling hardware in both formats, including Toshiba’s HD DVD and Samsung Blu-ray set-top players.

Meijer director of e-commerce marketing Dawn Bronkema said there are plans to also carry HD DVD titles on the site, but current in-store sales trends pushed the retailer to act first on expanding its Blu-ray selection.

“Blu-ray is currently outselling HD DVD with a ratio of four-to-one,” Bronkema said.
Another joins the Blu-ray fold.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:12 PM

This seems like an odd decision to me. I would think it would make more sense to remove HD DVD from their outlets where shelf space is more of an issue before they would from their online store.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post
Meijer offers only Blu-ray on Web site

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6491629.html

Another joins the Blu-ray fold.
Man were do you live? Meijer has crappy DVD displays, and they are over priced. I don't think I've ever purchased a movie from there. I doubt they're even in the top 10 in disk sale in any market they are in unless they are the only major store. This is a blip.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljmi View Post
Man were do you live?
Some People live in places where they are desperate to get the news!!!

Even the weakest thunder or the insignificant rain is news to them.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:22 PM

The Meijer near me stopped stocking HD DVD and stocks Bluray only in store.

This is the Meijer on Haggerty, Commerce Twp.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Man were do you live? Meijer has crappy DVD displays, and they are over priced. I don't think I've ever purchased a movie from there. I doubt they're even in the top 10 in disk sale in any market they are in unless they are the only major store. This is a blip.
Your post might be a blip. Meyer is one of the nine hypermarkets in USA. It was Meijer I went to then I went for grocery shopping the months I lived in USA. It wasn't the store I went to for specifically shopping DVD:s but I could pick up one then I was grocery shopping...
Old 10-16-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlins View Post
Your post might be a blip. Meyer is one of the nine hypermarkets in USA. It was Meijer I went to then I went for grocery shopping the months I lived in USA. It wasn't the store I went to for specifically shopping DVD:s but I could pick up one then I was grocery shopping...
You said you could pick up DVD's, but did you ever pick up any?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned

They sold 4 blu rays and 1 HD dvd, yup thats 4 to 1.Never heard of them............
Old 10-16-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
You said you could pick up DVD's, but did you ever pick up any?
Yes. I did buy DVD:s at petrol stations here in Sweden up until January this year because it was convenient. I have now stopped buying DVD:s but then the petrol stations (Statoil for example) starts to sell Blu-ray discs I will buy some from them, even if it is more expensive than buying them online.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:38 PM
O_o

I've been to Meijer, they won't impact the war. And the news info states HD DVD will be added to the site. Not sure how this is a Blu-ray win or smackdown related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlins View Post
Yes. I did buy DVD:s at petrol stations here in Sweden up until January this year because it was convenient. I have now stopped buying DVD:s but then the petrol stations (Statoil for example) starts to sell Blu-ray discs I will buy some from them, even if it is more expensive than buying them online.
Jag talar intre bra Svenska I love Sweden and the Midnight Sun Upsala.