Need Some Opinions from Both Sides - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-16-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Need Some Opinions from Both Sides

just purchased the new Toshiba HD-A30 and I have really enjoyed it with my Samsung 46' LCD and my 5.1 Polk Audio System. However, my concern here is all about what I am getting for price. I am trying to decide to keep my beautiful baby or take it back to the store for a PS3.

Now I understand that HD-DVD seems overall to have cheaper prices on there products, better standardization, the Toshiba DVD player up converts, and has better codec’s.

At the same time the PS3 is a gaming console and has more capacity, and does have a larger part of the dvd sales.

Can anyone else give me some intellectual comparisons for the two? This is a very hard decision to make because the 40GB PS3 is actually the same price was the Toshiba DVD player.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:06 PM

I for one view the PS3 as a multi-purpose machine. It plays the Blu-ray disc games in HD, and while some will question the quality and variety of games currently available, there are many available right now that are incredibly fun and fantistic to play in HD.

The PS3 also has in my opinion, the best available Blu-ray movie player in it. Blu-ray currently has the largest selection of HD movies available, and appears it will be the winner of the format war if and when it ever does actually end.

I think that both BD and HD DVD have fantastic picture quality and audio, and a library of great movies. But what I like about the PS3 is how it combines the HD games system and HD movie player, among other things, in a great looking and sleek package.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Go with the PS3

The PS3 is a much more of a "media" machine than a standalone. As you said, for the same price you get a lot more bang for you buck!

It has built-in WiFi, a user upgradable hard drive, superb upscaling DVD player, a super fast CPU that makes loading discs virtually instantaneous.

Besides Blu-ray and games here are a couple features that I think are often overlooked.

My family likes being able to watch the 1080p movie trailers that you can download very easily from the "Sony Store". Every Thursday they put up 3-4 movie trailers (including movies from Paramount!). There are probably close to 100 movie trailers up that you can download in full HD glory. Fun stuff!

We also have 50,000+ JPGs stored on our computer downstairs and via the DLNA feature of the PS3 we are able to slide show and view them on our 60" rear projection TV.

Both of these features have been hits at family get togethers such as a bday party we had last Saturday.

Of course there are also the games. There over a couple dozen game demos you can download for free that are alot of fun.

I've really enjoyed having my PS3. I have bought about 25 Blu-ray movies and 6-7 PS3 games.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:13 PM

Do you want to play games or not? Which format has the movies that you are more likely to purchase? (check your SD DVD collection) If the answer is HD DVD but you also want to play games, then trade it in for the Xbox Elite w/ the HD DVD add-on. Halo 3 rocks! and there are a whole lot more great games! Don't forget Xbox can also be a media centre extender to your Vista computer. Stream recorded or ripped content or your windows media music library to your TV / Audio system via the Xbox. Sweet! Pictures as well!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Banned

The PS3 has one thing no other player has...a super computer chip. That means it can do anything Blu-ray can throw at it, and do it easily.

There's a very real possibility that even the HD-A30 will be obsolete if/when 51GB discs ever reach production because it is limited to what it can already do.

Personally I suggest you keep the A30 and buy the PS3 as well. Then you don't have to be annoyed about a movie you want that is only coming out on the other format.
Banned

No question, get the PS3. It actually outputs 1080p60 correctly unlike your A30, it is much faster than the A30 or any HD DVD or Blu-ray player. From a purely consumer electronics standpoint, the PS3 is better value. Of course, then we come to the content issue, and in that respect, buy the format with the movies you like.

check out the sales charts here http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=8608
this link shows how Blu-ray has consistently won over the past year, it includes links to the source, In Japan the ratio is 9:1 Link Europe is 4:1 Link in favor to Blu-ray.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...l_disc_formats
a wikipedia article comparing both formats.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
Do you want to play games or not? Which format has the movies that you are more likely to purchase? (check your SD DVD collection) If the answer is HD DVD but you also want to play games, then trade it in for the Xbox Elite w/ the HD DVD add-on. Halo 3 rocks! and there are a whole lot more great games! Don't forget Xbox can also be a media centre extender to your Vista computer. Stream recorded or ripped content or your windows media music library to your TV / Audio system via the Xbox. Sweet! Pictures as well!
And the best part is that only 44% of them burn up and die!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker28 View Post
Now I understand that HD-DVD seems overall to have cheaper prices on there products, better standardization, the Toshiba DVD player up converts, and has better codec’s.

At the same time the PS3 is a gaming console and has more capacity, and does have a larger part of the dvd sales.

Can anyone else give me some intellectual comparisons for the two? This is a very hard decision to make because the 40GB PS3 is actually the same price was the Toshiba DVD player.
The PS3 costs a little more but does A LOT more. It is an award winning home entertainment machine. It plays Blu-rays and all the benefits that comes with. The DVD upconversion in the PS3 is top notch as tests have shown.

Quote:
When it comes to DVD upsampling, it’s hard not to be impressed by the PlayStation 3. We think that it provides a superior output to NVIDIA and AMD’s technology and it even holds its own against the flagship HQV technology from Silicon Optix and Teranex. But that’s just for DVD playback.

Once you make the plunge toward HD DVD or Blu-ray, additional challenges come into the mix. We still believe that the PlayStation 3 represents an excellent stand-alone Blu-ray player given that the majority of content that most people watch comes from 1080p24 Hollywood films – things that the PlayStation 3 does well with. With PS3 in the $500 price range, about the same price as an a high-end HD DVD player, the console suddenly looks like a great bargain for anyone who can take advantage of upsampled DVD, Blu-ray playback, and an entire gaming console with exclusives like Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy XIII, and Metal Gear Solid 4.
With the PS3 and Blu-ray, you will simply get a lot more for the money. Add the current buy 1 get 1 free sales, $15 BB sale, and others this week, you can pick up a lot of high def discs for an excellent price.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:20 PM

There is really no easy answer here. The best recommendation I can give you is to look at the studios that support both formats, the list of movies that are currently available, the list of titles that are upcoming, and the movies that are in theaters and coming to theaters from the respective studios (boxofficemojo should have everything you need). My best advice is to base your player purchase based on content and less on the player.

If you do like games the PS3 is a great option as well (or the 360 w/add-on).