Smackdown Forum Extremely Educational - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-16-2007, 08:41 AM

Default Smackdown Forum Extremely Educational

Contrary to popular belief, the Smackdown Forum is a great place to learn fascinating new things. As a stupid n00b with barely over 30 posts, I am of course very eager to learn as much as I can from all the knowledgable people posting here. So here's a small selection of the astounding facts that I didn't know before I found my way to HDD Smackdown:

Transformers is such an incredible milestone ...
.. in moviemaking history that it requires discussion in at least half a dozen threads EVERY SINGLE DAY!
Funny, I thought it was just a loud, fun movie about robots blowing stuff up. That's how little I know.

30 GB is NOT enough for a hidef transfer!
That's strange; my copy of Troy DC runs at almost 200 minutes, looks astounding, has more extras than I care to shake a stick at and sports audio in two different formats, one of them being that lossless thingy format that no one seems to be able to play yet (or maybe they can; I get confused. After all, I'm just a stupid n00b). My copy of Troy DC must be somehow bigger than others out there; could it be a secret test unit of one of those fabled 51 discs that will render my player absolutely useless next week?

The Playstation 3 is NOT a real hidef movie player!
Funny, mine plays movies beautifully and even upscales as well as my Toshi HD DVD player. Sure it looks like a kitchen appliance, but hey, if every kitchen appliance were as much fun as the PS3, this would be a better world!

... and besides, it has NO games!
That's strange, I could have sworn I was spending FAR too much time playing all sorts of stuff on my PS3. I must be hallucinating.

Sony is not publishing any good games on purpose so people are forced to buy BDs for their PS3s!
I can't tell you what a revelation this information was for me. This is EXACTLY what I'd do if I were in charge of Sony: publish few good games (or even better: no games at all!) in order to sell as few units as possible so that people who DO own one... no, I'm afraid I'm too stupid to understand this one after all.

When the first BDs with extras that require profile 2.0 (or whatever) come out...
... all present standalone BD players will have to be consigned to the scrap heap IMMEDIATELY. Because since people won't be able to play crappy little games or what have you on these players they'll evidently be absolutely useless. Which is strange, because I thought most people buy movie players to play movies. That's how clueless I am.

And finally, my favourite (sadly not very popular as of late):

HD DVD is DEAD!
.. or at least it WILL die. Soon. January 2008. Or after Paramount's 18 months are up. I forget. But it will die!
Which is great, because then I will own an ultra-cool zombie format! Every home movie night will be a night of the living dead format!

So much for the stuff I learned, and this is just a small selection. Boy, was I dumb. Feel free to call me a stupid n00b.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:45 AM

HAHA that was good. The smackdown is so opinion based that it is really hard to tell cold hard facts sometimes. There are always ignorant comments like "HD DVD will die" and what not.

Good observations though! Keep it up. I think my kitchen appliance plays blu rays great too!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:54 AM

Very funny stuff, and shockingly close to some people's real opinions.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:01 AM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

don't forget that pcm audio is better than dolby true hd because it is uncompressed... lol

and the "fact" that paramount was paid 150million to be exclusive...lol

or i've even seen that blu ray has a better pq than hd dvd... that's a good one... 1080p on blu ray is somehow more magical than 1080p on hddvd...

some of these people crack me up... it gets even funnier if you troll a fanboy site like blu-ray.com ... someone told me that i had to boil my hd dvds toget them to work... i heard about some manufacturing dust on some of them... I've experienced it on standard dvd... and aparantly a little disc cleaner and a tissue won't work on it... make sure u boil all your hd dvds... lol

if u get really bored, go troll a fanboy site and see how long it takes for you to get banned for critisising the format. just don't troll hdd... if u want to argue, go to the smackdown forums... the format specific forums are nice here because no one even talks smack on hd dvd in the blu ray forums and vice versa... its all about format or hardware... the fanboy sites constantly bash the other format.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccphilly1984 View Post
someone told me that i had to boil my hd dvds toget them to work... i heard about some manufacturing dust on some of them... I've experienced it on standard dvd... and aparantly a little disc cleaner and a tissue won't work on it... make sure u boil all your hd dvds... lol
Ah yes, the famous combo disc cooking story. I don't know, I've tried both, but I prefer to eat my combo discs raw. More crispy that way.
(Just to add my useless anecdotal info, I've never encountered any problems with combos. There just useless for me, because I have no upscaling player for region 1 SD DVDs.)

And btw, I've had many entertaining sessions reading posts over at blu-ray.com. Although some of those guys scare me. Some of them seem to belong to some radical religious cult.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Ah yes, the famous combo disc cooking story. I don't know, I've tried both, but I prefer to eat my combo discs raw. More crispy that way.
You also get the full benefit of the fiber by eating the disc raw.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:15 AM

Now that's pretty damn funny!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccphilly1984 View Post
don't forget that pcm audio is better than dolby true hd because it is uncompressed... lol
It is better, not because it is superior, but because some studios use dialnorm when compressing to TrueHD, which means the uncompressed data won't be exactly the same as the PCM track. Some studios (i.e. Sony) don't use dialnorm while encoding TrueHD, so in their case it sounds exactly the same, which it should. TrueHD is a great lossless compression format.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey0480 View Post
HAHA that was good. The smackdown is so opinion based that it is really hard to tell cold hard facts sometimes. There are always ignorant comments like "HD DVD will die" and what not.

Good observations though! Keep it up. I think my kitchen appliance plays blu rays great too!

Yeah its pretty spot on. But its not just the forum members spouting HD DVD is dead its every member of the BDA that is seems are on a rota and every week someone proclaims its death within (insert timeframe)

Say WB went Red exclusive the BDA response would be a) shock and disgust, then b) claim they were bought off just becuase they didnt except their offer and c) would still proclaim Blu Ray will win and just add another 6 months to the timeframe.

There is one rule in this forum if someone ever used the word Fact! after any statement, that statement is utter bollox........fact!

oh and 95% percent of all statistics are made up!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:39 AM

Nice observations. I spend alot of time trying to dispell alot of confusion over audio formats and it can get really funny sometimes. People not wanting to get a disc because it doesn't have lossless audio even if the other encodes sound just as good as the master track. I always ask them if they are true movie lovers. I say, support the movies you like and not the format. One may die off or they may both be here forever. Anyway, I'm nuetral so I can get whatever movie I want in HD regardless of format.