Toshiba losing name recognition with stingy business practices? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-15-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Toshiba losing name recognition with stingy business practices?

I used to buy Toshiba products like TVs and DVD players a few years back. When I was in the market for a LCD Television I was taking a look at Toshiba models. I then thought about how Toshiba is the company backing HD-DVD and how ridiculous that would look next to my PS3 being a blu-ray player. Well I pretty much lost all respect for Toshiba and don't think I'll be buying their products anymore. I am wondering if there are other people in my boat causing Toshiba to be losing some name recognition. If HD-DVD fails and Blu-ray reigns over next gen movies I am wondering if people will look at the Toshiba name differently.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:35 AM

I have my PS3 sitting on top of my Toshiba HDA1 connected to a Samsung HDTV and nothing has self-destructed yet.

It's just a format war! Get whatever brand you feel gives you the best bang for the buck. IMHO if HD DVD loses my best guess is it will hurt them about as much as Sony was hurt by beta, which basically means snickers and refernces but not a whole lot of reputation damage.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:39 AM

lol shouldn't sony's name be tarnished after shady buisness practices and Betamax?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowl-o-rama View Post
I used to buy Toshiba products like TVs and DVD players a few years back. When I was in the market for a LCD Television I was taking a look at Toshiba models. I then thought about how Toshiba is the company backing HD-DVD and how ridiculous that would look next to my PS3 being a blu-ray player. Well I pretty much lost all respect for Toshiba and don't think I'll be buying their products anymore. I am wondering if there are other people in my boat causing Toshiba to be losing some name recognition. If HD-DVD fails and Blu-ray reigns over next gen movies I am wondering if people will look at the Toshiba name differently.
Please tell me you're joking about this thread. Have you thought about the inverse of your argument. Are you going to feel differently about your PS3 if in the end HD-DVD comes out the winning format? Realistically it was Sony that jumped ship and decided to go for a different format. Both companies were very rigid in what they wanted and that's why this format was is going on.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
That's a ridiculous reason not to buy a (non HD DVD) Toshiba product. I might find other reasons not to buy a Toshiba product but the name's association with HD DVD would not be one of them.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:03 AM

I'm as Blu as Blu can be, but if the Toshiba camera I was looking at is the best one of that kind available, I would be plain stupid not to buy it.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:06 AM

I agree this thread is kinda odd. Toshiba losing the format war would not make me avoid toshiba products.

And i say that in all honesty. its their crap quality, construction durability and customer service that keeps me away from them.

Yes it based solely on my experience but 10,000 in tv's speaks loudly to me
Old 10-15-2007, 01:31 AM
O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdachad View Post
lol shouldn't sony's name be tarnished after shady buisness practices and Betamax?
I agree, among other format failures and bombs. I think Toshiba brand will remain strong, I have never been a brand loyalist but never had a bad perception about them. The few times I have purchases from them, I've always been very happy. In fact my existing HDTV is Toshiba REGZA and I am extremely satisfied. I think the thread is a little silly, because if a brand's image were measured and bound by potential format failures, Sony would be down the tubes for repeated failures.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Sony too has had it share of Bombs and you are still buying a PS3, another possible Bomb? Doesn't make sense unless you bought a Toshiba product and were given a poor product or customer service from them. In the end with the reasoning you put forth you wouldn't buy anything from an initiative company. Now the PS3 bomb was just for argument sake obviously not fact, insert SACD and Betamax for starters.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:45 AM
Banned

I personally do not buy toshiba products unless I am absolutely positive that they're losing money on it. That's why the only toshiba product at my home is my zune 30gb, which I picked up for 99.99. Although I'm pretty sure they're losing money on the A2, I still won't buy it because then I'd have to buy/rent HD DVD's and would be helping Toshiba. I usually don't buy Sony products either, since they seem to be overpriced. My HT system is Sony, but my TV and Projector aren't.

I personally tell everyone I know to avoid Toshiba, and choose phillips, samsung, panasonic, sharp instead, or even Sony only if they can get it for cheap. I will never have any toshiba gadgets at my home unless I have to or bought at a loss to Toshiba. The cell doesn't count since it's a joint venture and it's only a part, not the complete product. Similarly the bluetooth of my PC is made by toshiba, but it doesn't count.