DVD Talk: Everything about this track just screams "REFERENCE!" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-14-2007, 10:55 PM

Default DVD Talk: Everything about this track just screams "REFERENCE!"

DVD Talk's Transformers HD DVD review is up! This is the best review yet!!

From the review:

Video 5 stars out of 5:
Quote:
I watched several sequences from this disc in a screening room at Paramount, and if someone had told me I was watching an actual print of the movie, I would have believed them. That's how good it looks. While at times Bay's shooting style may be a little too grainy or dirty for aficionados who want nothing but a crystal clear image that looks like it was shot with the latest HD cameras, there's no doubt in my mind that this is exactly what both formats should be aiming for: A perfect recreation of the filmmakers' intentions.
Audio 5 stars out of 5:
Quote:
Put simply, this 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus rocks hard. The level of aural detail is most impressive. I could hear every click and whine of the transforming parts, the grinding of metal when the robots fought, and even the startup sound of the 360 when it comes alive. During big action sequences, the surrounds were often used to assault the senses, but I noticed that the mixers would often use the rears for isolated sounds that they wanted to highlight, such as Frenzy's gibbering when he's on Air Force One. The bass has to be felt to be believed. At times it was so thunderous that I thought it might actually affect my bowels. Everything about this track just screams "REFERENCE!" and it holds up easily to the best PCM and True HD mixes that I have heard. Call me a doubter no more.
Full review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/review.php?ID=30988

Well, so much for all of the Blu-boy concerns regarding the technical specs of HD DVD!

Mark

Last edited by Mark Booth; 10-14-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:59 PM

Looks like the best review so far. Not sure if it should be here or in HD DVD section. Thanks for the link
Old 10-14-2007, 11:04 PM

Awesomeness...But they are a little too leaniant when it comes to reviews. Like Audio shouldnt be a 5 unless it was lossless..Its almost like if you give a Wii a 5/5 for graphics when A xbox 360 game gets a 5/5...the top bar has to be set at the highest mark(lossless sound)...DD+ is a 4.5 at a max.
But still..just plain awesome. Cant wait to see it as I havent seen it yet.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:05 PM

With several vocal Blu fans openly wishing for Transformers to have a "crap transfer" and "shitty sound", you're darn right it belongs here in Smackdown! Paramount dumping Blu-ray is big Smackdown material and this is Paramount's biggest release of the year!

Now that camp Blu can no longer make any credible attacks on Transformers image and sound quality, watch for the assaults on movie content to increase!

Mark
Old 10-14-2007, 11:08 PM

BTW, I had a hard time deciding which Audio quote to use in the title of this thread. I was torn between the one I used (Everything about this track just screams "REFERENCE!") and this one:

Quote:
At times it was so thunderous that I thought it might actually affect my bowels.
Now THAT'S funny!

Mark
Old 10-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Banned

Yet another Transformers thread, this time created by an HD DVD fanboy who said Blu-ray would only win 4 weeks out of 13 on Nielsen ratings.
I'm glad it received a great transfer, it'll be fun to watch it on my PS3, although the fun factor is diminshed by the fact that I've seen the movie already.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

HD-DVD... the only logical choice! Just ask Paramount!

Mark
ahaha this is laughable. Paramount was leaning toward blu-ray and questioned hd-dvd because of its 30gb disc before they went exlusive. Then over the night HEY what do you know they are exsclusive for 18 months.

Video 8/10 by the way at dvdtown
Old 10-14-2007, 11:19 PM

Hey Mark..uhh..actually your link is to DVDTalk.com.
DVDTown.com is a different site..
Here is the link to their review.:
http://www.dvdtown.com/reviews/transformers/5245
Old 10-14-2007, 11:22 PM
formerly Blu Christmas

Mark, even you gotta be tired of these threads by now. Certainly you have something of more substance to make a thread about . . . or not?
Old 10-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Banned

So every time a new Transformers review goes up somewhere on the Intarweb it deserves its very own thread, and every time someone has their own opinion on the HD DVD release, they deserve their own thread too?

Optimus has flames on him, people. FLAMES.

Bumblebee is a CAMARO for god's sake. A CAMARO.

I don't know who that big bad guy robot was, but he sure as hell wasn't Megatron.

When the Nielsen VideoScan comes out the following week and BD is still number one, Bumblebee should start playing "Another Week Bites The Dust" on his radio.