Smack yourself down! Guilty pleasures and more. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-12-2007, 10:16 AM
formerly Blu Christmas

Default Smack yourself down! Guilty pleasures and more.

Hello all,

I know people like to argue about which side has the movies "they" like; which has certainly gotten old reading - I'm not sure how people can "argue" their personal likes and dislikes.

One thing is true if you are an early adopter - you love movies. Whether you like them for their eye/ear candy, or story tellings, or social commentary, or visceral images, or as an art form - we love them.

So, let's step away from hi-def and let's see what you guys like.
3 categories:

1. Guilty pleasure - Either something you don't tell many people you own - or know it's a downright cheesefest (ala Top Gun imo) but just can't help liking it). Go ahead, smack yourself down.
2. Favorite movies
3. Movies you like, that the general public isn't aware of.

List no more than 3 movies in each category. (I know many of us could provide countless lists.) And no trilogies!

I'll go first to get things started.

1. Guilty Pleasure - Moulin Rouge. Winter People. Bandits I think it's a good movie; however, when my military buddies come over and look through my movies and see it, I have been known to say, "Yeah, the wife loves that one". (which is true, but still )
2. Favorite movies - Leon - The Professional, The Empire Strikes Back, Fellowship of the Ring. (more and more people seem to have seen Leon, glad to see it found an audience on video.)
3. Largely unknown - Donnie Darko, Rob Roy, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I'm interested in your responses.

This is in smackdown cause peoples "guilty pleasures" are a smackdown all their own. (I'll think of more guilty pleasures and update my list later.)

Take it easy, all.

Last edited by Cymbol; 10-12-2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added Winter People and Bandits to my Guilty Pleasures
Old 10-12-2007, 10:26 AM

I am waiting for Moulin Rouge in BluRay..

RANT: I really really am irked by the change of the name. The movie is called The Professional. Period. I do not know why years later they changed it to Leon: The Professional. That is irratates me. Leave the movie alone. It's a classic story and well done. Does adding the word "Leon" suddenly make the movie better? Please. Stuff like that always gets my nickers in a twist.

1. Guilty pleasure- The Ringer (or to keep in line with my rant) Jeffey: The Ringer... and Begotten.

2. Favorite movie- I have none. There. Said it. Boom! I dislike using the word favorite and I have so few of them. I have one or two favorite bands and there are movies I like but I cant say XYZ is my favorite movie. Favorite show: Deadwood.

3. Largely unknown (movie)- Begotten, Vampyr, Four of the Apocalypse
Old 10-12-2007, 10:32 AM
formerly Blu Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoBro828 View Post
I am waiting for Moulin Rouge in BluRay..
Me too, would look amazing. Vivid colors abound in that movie.

Quote:
RANT: I really really am irked by the change of the name. The movie is called The Professional. Period. I do not know why years later they changed it to Leon: The Professional. That is irratates me. Leave the movie alone. It's a classic story and well done. Does adding the word "Leon" suddenly make the movie better? Please. Stuff like that always gets my nickers in a twist.
I thought it was release overseas as "Leon" and in the U.S. as "The Professional". Also, the U.S. released was edited. I repurchased the disc after the "Leon" version came out. I can see why they may have wanted it tamer, but the added scenes are effective and I'm glad to have the international version. (adds about 13 minutes).

Quote:
3. Largely unknown (movie)- Begotten, Vampyr, Four of the Apocalypse
Yeah, I'm not familiar with all those.

I expect to get some great movie tips from peoples "unknown" category.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Christmas View Post
I thought it was release overseas as "Leon" and in the U.S. as "The Professional". Also, the U.S. released was edited. I repurchased the disc after the "Leon" version came out. I can see why they may have wanted it tamer, but the added scenes are effective and I'm glad to have the international version. (adds about 13 minutes).
Oh.. I just thought it was those whoremongers in hollywood.. I see the point now. Me knickers are no longer twisted.

Begotten is.. well.. Begotten.. you should check it out. Vampyr too.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:50 AM

Let's see here....

1. Guilty Pleasures

-Very Bad Things
-The Adventures of Ford Fairlane
-Road House

2. Favourite Movies

-Braveheart
-Excalibur
-Robocop

3. Great Movies No-One Knows About

-Hard Candy
-Running Scared (the Paul Walker film)
-Open Range
Old 10-12-2007, 10:59 AM

Good thread.... heres mine:

Guilty Pleasures:
- The Mummy movies...campy and horrible but I like them
- Underworld series.... been there done that, but they're fun to watch.

Favorites
- Lord of the Rings series
- Kingdom of Heaven

Unpopular/Not well known
- Exorcism of Emily Rose
- The Others... this is a GREAT flick, very underrated, IMO.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 AM

(With a liberal thievery of formatting from Cap'N Neutrality)

1. Guilty Pleasures

-The Blues Brothers
-From Dusk Till Dawn
-Beavis and Butthead Do America

2. Favourite Movies

-North by Northwest
-Clockwork Orange
-Seven Samurai

3. Great Movies No-One Knows About

-Real Genius
-Man Who Would Be King
-City of Lost Children
Old 10-12-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Guilty Pleasures:
- The Mummy movies...campy and horrible but I like them
Just popped in "The Mummy" for the first time in years last night. Somehow, all of the hype around Transformers reminded me of this release, which was all the rage in '99 when I first got into DVD. Definitely a good call on the Guilty Pleasures list...
Old 10-12-2007, 11:05 AM

hoo boy, here goes:

- guilty pleasures:
Armageddon: I hate most Michael Bay films, especially Pearl Harbor, but I just have to laugh at this one. Need to skip every scene with Ben Affleck though.
Starship Troopers: [blushing] classic member of the 'so bad it's good' category. Denise Richards's catastrophic performance is priceless.
Con Air: I can't help it.. I've tried... but I can't. I probably need help.

- favourites (among many others):
The Remains of the Day: Anthony Hopkins delivers the best performance of any male actor in any movie I've seen. Still can't get over the fact that he lost the Best Actor Oscar to Tom Hanks in 'Philadelphia' - ugh!
The Thin Red Line: Best modern war movie in existence imho.
Pulp Fiction: no comment needed.

- Largely Unknown:
Water: silly movie with Michael Caine that hasn't aged well, but funny nonetheless
The Lives of Others: excellent German movie that's probably not as unknown any more now that it's out on blu-ray.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:07 AM

I'm guessing the "no trilogies" rule applies to the Godfather and Man With No Name trilogies, so.......

Guilty Pleasures:
Beautiful Girls
Moulin Rouge
Back to School

Favorite Movies:
A Clockwork Orange
Monty Python & The Holy Grail
Hard Boiled

Largely Unknown:
Man Bites Dog
Requiem for a Dream
The City of Lost Children