Blockbuster Online misleading for HDM newcomers - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-10-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Blockbuster Online misleading for HDM newcomers

I recently joined Blockbuster Online as I heard they offer HD DVD through the mail order system. We all know their stance when it comes to Blu-Ray support as they are carrying BD only on their in store shelves.

In their help section under FAQ I found the folllowing descriptions of the formats they carry:

Quote:

HD: "'high definition digital versatile disks". This new, high-capacity format is capable of playing and storing high-definition images--up to five times the amount of data and detail that can be stored on a standard DVD. This means HD discs feature higher definition video and audio, as well as advanced interactive features. As soon as high definition movies are released, BLOCKBUSTER will make them available to our subscribers. The very first HD DVDs were available on our site April 18, 2006.

Blu-RayTM: the highest of the HD resolutions. Its new, high-capacity format is capable of playing and storing high-definition images up to five times the amount of data and detail that can be stored on a standard DVD. This means Blu-rayTM DVDs feature higher definition video and audio, as well as advanced interactive features.

End Quote

http://www.blockbuster.com/help/faq/687

This description of Blu-Ray would lead the uneducated newcomer to believe that Blu-Ray is "better" because it has a higher resoluotion picture than HD DVD.

Upon my first visit to the site, I also found it very difficult to even find the HD DVD catalog. They list Blu-Ray as it's own category of movies but you have to click on "Collections" to find HD DVD. The only way I actually discovered this was to do a Google search for "Blockbuster Online HD DVD".

Everyone seems to think Paramount was paid off to go HD DVD exclusive. Was this misleading description of BD written by an ignorant web designer, or was Blockbuster paid off?

After learning a little more about how the site is set up (quite a bit different than NetFlix) I discovered that you can view the available formats for any movie, and you can add HD DVD's to your queue from there.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:40 PM

There's an argument for that... I wouldn't weed it out.. but there's also an arguement that retailers dont like having to stack two of the same movie in two different formats, and wanting the war to end by taking the Offense instead of Defense, that if the Studios wont end it they will.

I agree with you, I'm a Blockbuster member also and didn't even know they carried HDdvd rentals at all based on it's lack of a category.

In similar news though, I asked my local Blockbuster if they have a section in the store for Blu-Ray, and they said no.. asked when they're expecting it and they have no idea... if they plan on carrying them in stores like they said they were I have yet to see it done anywhere yet.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:46 PM

There actually a store in Beaverton, Oregon that is carrying them (according to the site when I search for local stores).
Old 10-10-2007, 04:04 PM

Actually, HD DVD stands for High DENSITY Digital Versatile Disc. Blockbuster is correct in stating Blu-ray has the "highest resolution" available. 1080p is the highest resolution there is, therefore they are correct. It is giving the impression that HD DVD does not have 1080p playback capabilities. Remember, a player just plays the format...not the other way around. That is what a lot of HD DVD supporters don't seem to understand. If they did, they would know that there is no reason for HD DVD to be around. But, I digress. The HD DVD format has the ability to contain 1080p movies, but MOST of their sold players DO NOT output 1080p.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:09 PM

1080i, 1080P24, and 1080P60 from my XA2 looks identical when passing through my VP50 which outputs 1080P60 to my display. As long as the 1080i is deinterlaced properly to 1080P the picture will still be the same.
And 1080i from my A1 or A2 will also look identical when going through my VP50. All the info is there on the 1080P picture.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
1080i, 1080P24, and 1080P60 from my XA2 looks identical when passing through my VP50 which outputs 1080P60 to my display. As long as the 1080i is deinterlaced properly to 1080P the picture will still be the same.
And 1080i from my A1 or A2 will also look identical when going through my VP50. All the info is there on the 1080P picture.
And by saying that you lose the average consumer that has just been reading what BluRay is
Old 10-10-2007, 04:15 PM

My point was that in comparing the two, they indicate that Blu-Ray is the "the highest of the HD resolutions" and that this implies that it would contain a better picture quality than the "other" format. What the players can output is not relevant.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellInformed View Post
Actually, HD DVD stands for High DENSITY Digital Versatile Disc. Blockbuster is correct in stating Blu-ray has the "highest resolution" available. 1080p is the highest resolution there is, therefore they are correct. It is giving the impression that HD DVD does not have 1080p playback capabilities. Remember, a player just plays the format...not the other way around. That is what a lot of HD DVD supporters don't seem to understand. If they did, they would know that there is no reason for HD DVD to be around. But, I digress. The HD DVD format has the ability to contain 1080p movies, but MOST of their sold players DO NOT output 1080p.
MOST....???

Not that it really matters, as 1080i/p look identical, but can you back up that statement with supporting data?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
MOST....???

Not that it really matters, as 1080i/p look identical, but can you back up that statement with supporting data?
If we use HD fanboys' arguments that cheaper-priced players sell better, then it's safe to assume that the cheaper, feature-limited HD-DVD players are selling better than the more expensive ones.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellInformed View Post
Wrong ... Straight from the official HD DVD site. http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com/
Click on Frequently Asked Questions and the very first one says:
"HD DVD is a new optical disc format that stands for High-Definition Digital Versatile Disc."

Also, 1080i and 1080p are the exact same RESOLUTION. They are BOTH 1920 pixels wide by 1080 pixels high. Yes yes yes, displaying those pixels "progressively" instead of "interlaced" looks better on good equipment but they are still the exact same resolution.

I'm gonna have to agree with the original poster that Blockbuster is trying their best, without resorting to outright lies, to give BluRay an advantage over HD DVD because saying that blu offers the highest resolution is true, but omitting that same information from the HD DVD description is to me a "lie of ommision".

On the other hand, they are no different than any other company trying to make a profit and are bending the facts to support their preferred product. I don't think they've done anything "wrong" but it's shady.

And honestly, how can you say "that there is no reason for HD DVD to be around." ? I'm not a "fanboy" for either side, but in my opinion, neither side would be where they are now if the other didn't exist. Prices would have stayed high for either format had their been no competition from the other. Sure I own an HD DVD player but I'll happily buy a BluRay player when I can get a standalone one for a reasonable price. I don't think there will ever be a winner here.