Coming Soon: Sub-$1000 HD DVD Notebook - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-10-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Coming Soon: Sub-$1000 HD DVD Notebook

Coming Soon: Sub-$1000 HD DVD Notebook

Quote:
LOS ANGELES-- Even though two formats are duking it out for dominance, Toshiba sees HD DVD adoption following a trajectory similar to other optical disc formats before it.

"We see history repeating itself," Carl Pinto, vice president of product development and product management at Toshiba, told an audience during a presentation at the DVD Forum conference here this week.

Just as DVD gained momentum first as a combo DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive, HD DVD will see its early momentum from HD DVD-ROM/DVD SuperMulti writer drives. Even though a slim writer was announced in January at CES and has shipped in Japan, Pinto says he doesn't expect HD DVD burners to gain steam until 2009 or 2010.

Price Drops

Since HD DVD was first installed on a Toshiba Qosmio earlier this year, prices have fallen precipitously on notebooks equipped with an HD DVD drive. That early notebook debuted at $3000; today's prices hover at around $1500.

By the end of the year, in time for Christmas, said Pinto, "you'll be able to buy notebook computers at retail stores for under $1000."

The price drops can be attributed to the normal technology march known as Moore's Law. In the past year, the progression of the underlying technology required for a DVD drive has been impressive. For example, a notebook that cost $3000 at the start of the year required about $400 in components (excluding the cost of the HD DVD drive--a detail Toshiba is not surprisingly mum about) to handle HD DVD decoding, including the CPU and a graphics processor on a dedicated graphics card. By this fall, the mix of components necessary shifted to a CPU with integrated graphics processor and a hardware decoder, all for under $200. When winter 2008 rolls around, Toshiba expects to be able cut that price about in half again.

"Our goal for the third quarter of 2008 is to bring that cost down to under $100," Pinto said. "We believe that using improvements in CPUs and graphics subsystems, we can reduce the cost of playing back HD DVD."

Toshiba plans to make HD DVD an option on most all of its notebook PCs over the course of the coming year. The company estimates more than 5 million HD DVD drives will ship on notebook PCs in the coming year as the technology becomes more accessible and the price becomes more affordable.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:14 PM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

awesome... hopefully it has a tv tuner that supprots qam in the laptop too
Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Does it do windows?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqwid View Post
Hahaaaaa! You's a very funny man!
Sometimes I'm a wit, sometimes a twit.

Sometimes I'm a half-wit, other times a dickhead!
Old 10-10-2007, 02:27 PM

Old news. I know of at least 1 HD DVD notebook already available for under $1,000. No. I'm not giving the link. :P
Old 10-10-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Pinto says he doesn't expect HD DVD burners to gain steam until 2009 or 2010.
Hrm... that doesn't bode well for HD DVD-R at all.... I've heard a lot of grumbling from retail locations saying that if HD DVD doesn't get their recordable format fixed by the end of this year, they're going to start dropping their recordable media and focus more on BD-Rs quite heavily.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:32 PM

are we taking guesses on the attach rates of Toshiba laptops and PC drives yet?

what is a realist attach rate number??? Considering that many of these sales will be corporate sales for their employees - will that many of them pony up the extra $10 (versus SD DVD) to play it on a 15" screen without 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround sound??

IMO, I really can't imagine it being high enough to impact this format war and it won't even be close the 20% PS3 attach rate estimate...

some arguements that I see (for/against):

Against: When I am done with my work, I don't want to touch my laptop...
Against: too much trouble to hook it up to my HDTV

For: It will be great to watch movies on because I travel alot (but will they buy HD DVD or SD DVD??)...
For: Now that I have a player, I can hook it up to my TV.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinius_rex View Post
Hrm... that doesn't bode well for HD DVD-R at all.... I've heard a lot of grumbling from retail locations saying that if HD DVD doesn't get their recordable format fixed by the end of this year, they're going to start dropping their recordable media and focus more on BD-Rs quite heavily.
You just need to give HD DVD time to finish. The thought one would want to burn discs is an afterthought that will require more time to implement. HD DVD was just rushed to market too fast.

Since Blu-ray's roots are in data storage, creating Blu-ray media and burners is a trivial jump. It is also proof that Blu-ray was not whipped up at the last minute to compete with HD DVD.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejamz View Post
what is a realist attach rate number??? Considering that many of these sales will be corporate sales for their employees - will that many of them pony up the extra $10 (versus SD DVD) to play it on a 15" screen without 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround sound??
http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont..._F45-AV423.pdf
The lowest level laptop features a HDMI port, and is currently priced at $1,299.99. So you get the same connectivity you would get from a PS3.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:42 PM

Coming Soon: Sub-1.0 HD DVD attach rates.