Twilight Zone: Blu-Ray MIA? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-10-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Twilight Zone: Blu-Ray MIA?

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with Twilight Zone: The Movie?

I see that Amazon.com has the HD DVD in stock.
Best Buy lists the HD DVD in stock and available in most stores.
Walmart.com lists the HD DVD in stock.

Yet all those retailers are showing the BD version as shipping later or backordered. Actually, the BD version doesn't show at all on walmart.com, but I assume thats simply because their website filters out of stock items.

Has Warner issued any statements that I've missed? Its not like them to mysteriously miss a street date on a title.

Now to put on my conspiracy hat (you knew it was coming ), is this a sign of BD production issues or delays? I really can't think of another reason for the HD DVD to be in stock everywhere while the BD is off in limbo with no explanation.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnerd
I see that Amazon.com has the HD DVD in stock.
...conveniently forgetting that you yourself said yesterday that it wasn't in stock:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnerd
It seems a bit strange for a Warner title to go MIA on release day. But indeed, Twilight Zone on HD DVD and Blu-Ray appears to be nowhere to be had.

Bummer, wanted to pick up the HD DVD today.
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...56&postcount=9

That's not nice, Phil! Bad boy! Now put on the "fudster" cap and go to the corner!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:19 AM

It sure doesn't make sense for it to not be in stock anywhere on Blu-Ray when the HD DVD is in stock and shipping.

My HD DVD copy shipped yesterday from Amazon.

It sure seems like some Blu-Ray release is taking up the production capacity.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:20 AM

I think I know who took them...and so does he.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Banned

My Blu-ray ships next week.

The bigger question is "Where the hell is The Fly?"

It came out tuesday but amazon never listed it. You can get it from DVDempire, fox's site and a couple of others, but it's at least $30.00. I've been waiting for amazon because at least it will only be $27.95 and no tax or shipping.

Last edited by Fettastic; 10-10-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post
...conveniently forgetting that you yourself said yesterday that it wasn't in stock:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...56&postcount=9
That's not nice, Phil! Bad boy! Now put on the "fudster" cap and go to the corner!
It was odd for it to be out of stock yesterday, though I think one of our posters here noted that it did become available on Amazon.com.

So the HD DVD is basically available through all chanels, just seems odd the BD is missing across the board...
Old 10-10-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic View Post
My Blu-ray gets here today.

The bigger question is "Where the hell is The Fly?"

It came out tuesday but amazon never listed it. You can get it from DVDempire, fox's site and a couple of others, but it's at least $30.00. I've been waiting for amazon because at least it will only be $27.95 and no tax or shipping.
"From Hell" seems to be hit or miss and almost no one appears to be stocking "The Fly". I was actually going to mention that in my original post because it almost seems like <begin theory>Fox printed up just enough copies to get a few out in time for the street date, but not enough to meet demand. I wonder if BD lines are just too busy cranking out the big hits right now?<end theory>.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnerd View Post
"From Hell" seems to be hit or miss and almost no one appears to be stocking "The Fly". I was actually going to mention that in my original post because it almost seems like <begin theory>Fox printed up just enough copies to get a few out in time for the street date, but not enough to meet demand. I wonder if BD lines are just too busy cranking out the big hits right now?<end theory>.
Another theory would be "maybe demand was higher then anticpated?"

I mean, it *IS* a catalogue title, and most catalogue titles aren't big sellers. And Fox hasn't been releasing much lately until just recently, so maybe they just really suck at forcasting?

As someone with personal experience working with media replication on an industrial level, I can tell you that it makes no sense to replicate a small amount of product, and then do a larger run later. The amount of time it takes to setup the equipment is LONGER then the time taken to run most smaller production runs. So setting it up twice would seriously kill production time for not only that title, but also other titles that would be planned to be replicated on the same equipment.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinius_rex View Post
Another theory would be "maybe demand was higher then anticpated?"
Yes, that's certainly a possibility of course. But you should consider two things.

(1) There was the Smallville supply issue, Paramount cited production problems with Blu-Ray, Twilight Zone is completely... well, in the Twilight Zone on Blu-Ray, Fox has already mysteriously postponed 2 catalog titles and now Fox has apparently printed very, very few copies of From Hell and The Fly. This is a possible pattern we're seeing which could support the *theory* that Blu-Ray movies are possibly running into replication or capacity limits.

(2) Come on, I'm an HD DVD guy, which theory did you think I'd go with
Old 10-10-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Moretonbay

"

I am going to put to rest any rumors of of all the 10/9 releases being delayed.
THE FOLLOWING BLU-RAYS ARE IN STOCK:
FROM HELL
EDWARD SCISSORHANDS
28 DAYS LATER
28 WEEKS LATER
SURF'S UP
ROBOCOP
REIGN OVER ME
THE FLY

THE ONLY 10/9 TITLE NOT REC'D WAS
TWILIGHT ZONE (HD ALSO DIDN'T RECEIVE THEIRS EITHER)

ALSO THE FOLLOWING 10/16 TITLES ARE IN STOCK WITH DISTRIB.:

THE INVISIBLE
MASTERS OF HORROR SEASON 1 VOL. 1
HOLLOW MAN
MASTERS OF HORROR SEASON 1 VOL. 2

NOT IN STOCK:
HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL
THE REAPING

Even for HD
currently not in stock to ship to retailers are:

Return to House on Haunted Hill
The Reaping
Transformers (I'm sorry but I find this funny that it hasn't been rec'd by distrib)
(BY THE WAY THE DVD VERSION IS IN STOCK BUT NOT THE HD)

THE ONLY 10/16 TITLE THEY HAVE IN STOCK IS
A MIGHTY HEART.

For 10/9
Evan Almight was in stock for them
but they also do not have any Twilight Zone's either

THIS IS A WARNER PROBLEM - NOTHING ELSE AND ITS THE SAME FOR BOTH SIDES. When Warner recently upgraded their system everything got very very messed up - so right now they can't tell anyone if their order has been fulfilled - if so when it was shipped - any tracking numbers to the distributors or chains. Everyone keeps saying this will be fixed shortly-but to be honest you never know. Whenever they do get their system running properly again - you will see the releases on time again.
Last edited by Moretonbay : Yesterday at 03:50 PM. "

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=116