ALL Current HD DVD Players INCOMPATIBLE With Triple Layer Discs? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Banned

Default ALL Current HD DVD Players INCOMPATIBLE With Triple Layer Discs?

"In other news for the HD-DVD camp, just two days after Sony DADC announced that they'd replicated their milestone 10 millionth 50GB Blu-ray Disc (click here for the Video Business story), the HD-DVD Promotions Group quickly countered with a little damage control, making sure everyone knew that the DVD Forum was close to approving the spec for a triple-layer 51GB HD-DVD disc (click here). However, industry sources are telling us that NONE of the existing Toshiba HD-DVD players and drives are currently capable of reading them. Indeed, the Video Business story indicates that once the spec is finalized, "compatibility with current HD DVD player and recorders can be investigated." According to reports from Bits readers who were on at CEATAC this weekend, Toshiba reps told attendees that the triple-layer disc configuration would require a hardware change (the lens on existing drives reportedly isn't capable of moving to focus on the third layer), meaning that the existing drives are not firmware updatable. This of course is unofficial. It remains to be seen what testing of the discs will reveal."
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

This being from Bill Hunt will no doubt elicit disbelief, and it's warrented. But let's not lose sight of the very real possibility that this could be true.

I personally think this is a FAAAAR larger problem for early adopters than Picture-in-picture not working on some current Blu-ray players.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Banned

I think the consensus is that nobody knows yet...
Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 AM

This has been throughly discussed in other threads, and the answer is, we don't know, yet. We also don't know if triple-layer HD DVD will be used or needed for movies.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Banned

I went to a tour stop for HD DVD about a month before they hit the market. I specifically asked them about triple layer (at the time this was 45GB). They said that every Toshiba player can play triple layer discs.

Unfortunately these guys were wrong about a lot of other things I asked them about and they kept saying "You probably know more than we do". In fact they didn't even know that the launch had been delayed a couple of weeks...and they were there to promote the launch!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
This has been throughly discussed in other threads, and the answer is, we don't know, yet. We also don't know if triple-layer HD DVD will be used or needed for movies.
Yes I just discovered the other thread. I didn't realize it was about the same thing because the title is "upgrade your HD DVD player" and this article is about REPLACING your HD DVD player. Tomato tomahto.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Banned

I was considering buying an A35. Guess that plan is out the window now.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic View Post
Yes I just discovered the other thread. I didn't realize it was about the same thing because the title is "upgrade your HD DVD player" and this article is about REPLACING your HD DVD player. Tomato tomahto.
Same info, but I can understand the mistake, I was about to release the big guns, though:

Old 10-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Same info, but I can understand the mistake, I was about to release the big guns, though:
I thought it was something about firmware updates. The mods can delete this thread, that's fine with me.