40 GB PS3 to cost $341 in Japan - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Banned

Default 40 GB PS3 to cost $341 in Japan

This relates to the PS3 in Japan, the US price for the 40 GB model has not been announced yet. But with this news, $399, even $349 in the USA seems to be likely. I'd say it'll probably be $399 with spiderman included. The JDM model also comes in white and includes the dualshock 3.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html
Old 10-09-2007, 11:28 AM

It is inevitable that the PS3 will be here in North America for $399 or less. I think it will really boost sales and will have a major impact on the format war for the holidays.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:30 AM

Wink

This is a LIE. According to the PS3 Pricing Prognosticator Supreme you should "tread" lightly when commenting on price drops or risk having sticks and "stones" launched at you.

European lower pricing on a 40 GB version and now Japanese pricing (of $341!!!!) on a 40 GB version. There's NO WAY Sony is going to bring a 40 GB version to the largest CE market on the planet. That would be a horrible business mistake.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroygt View Post
This relates to the PS3 in Japan, the US price for the 40 GB model has not been announced yet. But with this news, $399, even $349 in the USA seems to be likely. I'd say it'll probably be $399 with spiderman included. The JDM model also comes in white and includes the dualshock 3.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html

Well the European 40GB version will cost $560 in US currency.

399 Euros equals $562 with the current exchange rate.

So if I apply your logic from the Japanese release price and apply it to the European price. The US price might actually go up over $500 when using the European pricing info.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

And the UK version of the Toshiba XA2 costs $916 when you adjust for pounds to dollars....

At that price a $500 PS3 seems like a bargain..
Old 10-09-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

As has been discussed before, sticker prices in countries that used to have currency parity with the US tend to have the same FIGURE for CE. That our dollar is depressed has not changed this trend... yet. Since the pound is so strong, they simply pay "more" for stuff than we do. But it's a relative more. Sony would never release a stripped down, PS2-less $560 console in the US at this point in the product cycle. And you know it.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Rope included?

They might as well include 25 feet of rope because this thing will be a great boat anchor.

It doesn't play PS2 games. WTF! If I am gamer, I am not going to buy it because it is not backward compatible.

If I want a BD player and don't want a game console, I am going to buy a standalone for the same price or a little more.

This thing is a non-starter.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:45 AM

Home Media is reporting a Nov 2 release date possibly bundled with Spidey 3...

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/ne...ticle_ID=11334

According to multiple retail sources, Sony Computer Entertainment America will bring its 40GB PlayStation 3, which just shipped in Europe, to the United States on Nov. 2.

The 40GB PS3 will retail for $400, which is $200 less than the new 80GB PS3, which retails for $600 and comes bundled with the MotorStorm game. Some retailers are still carrying the discontinued 60GB PS3, which sells for $500.

Like its European counterpart, this PS3 will not offer backwards compatibility with PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games. Other differences in the new hardware include just two USB ports (instead of four), and no multi memory card port. One addition to the new hardware may be the Blu-ray Disc version of Spider-Man 3, which streets October 30, according to online reports. Sony previously bundled the Spider-Man 2 UMD in its PSP at launch for a limited time, so there is a precedent.

“I think you could see a hardware spike if Sony really does bundle Blu-ray movies inside the box,” said Michael Pachter, videogame analyst for Wedbush Morgan Securities.

John Taylor, videogame analyst with Arcadia Research, said: “That 40 GB PS3 is likely to help Sony achieve estimates that are out there (unit potential in the range of 3 to 3.5 million for calendar year 2007 in the United States), but I don’t think it will bring upside. The library is still waiting for driver titles.

“Moreover, there is concern at retail that split release dates between Xbox 360 and PS3 will give Xbox 360 more marketing money, and a de facto exclusivity window, because PS3 titles are getting completed and certified later.”

Pachter said that Sony is going to sell about 50% more PS3 hardware units every time they cut the price by $100.

“From $600 to $500, we saw units go from roughly 100,000 per month to roughly 150,000,” Pachter said. “When they cut to $400, units should jump to 225,000 (which is what the Xbox 360 averaged before its price cut). Of course, that is for ‘normal’ months, meaning January through October. November sales are typically twice that, so maybe 450,000 units, and December sales are typically four times that, so maybe 900,000 units.”

The question still remains whether Sony will drop the $600 price tag of the 80GB PS3 down to $500, and cut the game bundle. Although Microsoft has had success with three versions of Xbox 360 for sale, including the $450 Xbox 360 Elite with 120GB hard drive, the $350 Xbox 360 Premium with 20GB hard drive and the Core System for $280; Sony is expected to stick with just two versions. Historically, Sony has only offered one version of its hardware with PS2 and the original PlayStation, as subsequent, cheaper hardware replaced the older hardware at retail.

Microsoft, which has had success with its Limited Edition Halo 3 Xbox 360 20GB hardware, which retails for $400, has now added two free games to the purchase of any Xbox 360 Premium or Elite system beginning later this month. Gamers will receive Microsoft’s Forza Motorsport 2 and Activision’s X-Men: Ultimate Alliance with their hardware purchase at any U.S. retailer. “On Xbox 360, I get the sense that Halo 3 gave hardware velocity a nice boost, bringing the September total up to north of 400,000 units sold,” Taylor said. “If this is sustained [on a weekly basis], it puts Microsoft in a position to sell through 4.5 to 5 million Xbox 360s in the U.S. this year.” Pachter said bundles are always good because they cost little to include (Forza is $1, Marvel probably $8) and have a perceived high value to the consumer. “I think it will matter and I think it’s necessary to counter the argument Sony will make that a $400 PS3 is a better deal than a $350 Xbox 360,” said Pachter.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:51 AM

Per the quote above I am not sure how Toshiba can counter 3+ million PS3's in North America alone unless their standalone sales really pickup. With a boost in PS3 sales and the Q4 Blu-Ray movie slate, I expect the weekly and monthly Nielsen ratings to get stronger for Blu in November and December.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:56 AM
O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Per the quote above I am not sure how Toshiba can counter 3+ million PS3's in North America alone unless their standalone sales really pickup. With a boost in PS3 sales and the Q4 Blu-Ray movie slate, I expect the weekly and monthly Nielsen ratings to get stronger for Blu in November and December.
Every price cut hasn't done much in the way of the war thus far, contrary to repated promises from Sony. The $499 drop boosted sales, but did it change the metrics of the war? How has Toshiba managed to remain a viable and competitive contender to the 4M PS3's on the market today? I really doubt this will have any impact on the war unless Toshiba really begins to fall. It's too bad Sony is too focused on PS3, when we should be seeing SA's reach new pricing points. That's what I hope to see. I don't want to see BD go the way of UMD and become a Playstation format.

Does this mean PS3 40GB is 1.1 certified or not neccessarily since it was announced prior (or will be) to the deadline? Thanks.