HD DVD Group responds to PS3 price-cut - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-08-2007, 01:04 PM

Default HD DVD Group responds to PS3 price-cut

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...rice-cut.phtml

Quote:
Quick to respond to the PS3's European price-cut, the HD DVD Promotional Group has issued a statement to say that they believe it will have "minimal impact" on the next-gen DVD market.

"The European PS3 price cut will have a minimal impact on the adoption of next generation HD formats. The real battleground is in sales of standalone players and HD DVD is out in front by a massive margin." said Ken Graffeo, co-chairman of the Group.

As well as giving Sony a much-needed sales boost in the gaming market in the run up to Christmas, the new 40GB PS3, that will be £299 when it's available later this month, will also be one of the cheapest Blu-ray players on the market.

But, the HD DVD Group are sticking by their previous stance that the true indication of a format war winner can be seen in standalone players, not gaming consoles.

The group cites independent research conducted by GfK in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Switzerland that shows HD DVD's share of the standalone player market has consistently stood at 70% or above.

Showing confidence for the immediate future of the market, in the release, the Group highlights several reasons it expects to stay ahead.

The current pan-European promotion offering five free HD DVD titles with every HD DVD player is seen as a strong sales tool, Venturer's new less-than-300 euros HD DVD player is said to be "coming soon" as is the new Toshiba HD-EP30 - which will be the first 1080p HD DVD standalone player to sell for 400 euros or less.

In addition, and in contrast to their gaming-makes-no-difference stance, the Group also points out that the Xbox HD DVD player is now available for 179 euros.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:10 PM

"The current pan-European promotion offering five free HD DVD titles with every HD DVD player is seen as a strong sales tool, Venturer's new less-than-300 euros HD DVD player is said to be "coming soon" as is the new Toshiba HD-EP30 - which will be the first 1080p HD DVD standalone player to sell for 400 euros or less."

I've only seen the movies with the player deal with the HD E1. What other players is this offered with?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Banned

So with this price cut, PS3 is cheaper than HD DVD standalones in Europe? The ONLY advantage of HD DVD is gone!
And while we're on 70% HDDVD standalone advantage, let me remind you that at there were about 14k HD DVD standalones to 5.5k Blu-ray standalones in Europe (I will dig up the link, or Merlins can, if anyone is interested) while the PS3 sales are in the million range...
Old 10-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Banned

Drop them to £250 and we'll talk, I was never gonna buy one based on its lame game support, but then Sony also seem to see the PS3 as more of a BD player themselves. It should also be taken into consideration that while there is the odd BD title below £20 in UK shops, the top end is £30. Some that DO actually want a PS3 for games might balk at that, they might prefer to put that cash towards their gaming needs. It's £30 over here for Norbit on HD DVD FFS!!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:17 PM

Once the PS3 starts getting great games alot of GAMERS will buy games and that could hurt blu ray sales in a way.
I said could.........
Old 10-08-2007, 01:19 PM

I wouldn't expect to hear anything less from Kenny G. LOL.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:20 PM

This attitude continues to astound me. The HD DVD camp has said repeatedly that the only reason Blu-ray is still hanging around is the PS3. But now that a cheaper version of the player they claim is the only thing keeping Blu-ray in the war is hitting the market, it will have minimal impact.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroygt View Post
So with this price cut, PS3 is cheaper than HD DVD standalones in Europe? The ONLY advantage of HD DVD is gone!
And while we're on 70% HDDVD standalone advantage, let me remind you that at there were about 14k HD DVD standalones to 5.5k Blu-ray standalones in Europe (I will dig up the link, or Merlins can, if anyone is interested) while the PS3 sales are in the million range...
Really? That's probably why the Promotions Group felt the need to point out that they don't count the PS3.

The movie selection here isn't that impressive:
HD-E1 Film - HD DVD spiller med 5 HD-DVD filmer
-The Holiday
-Miami Vice
-Riddick
-Hulk
-Troy

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku...E-D2583A1CB52E
Old 10-08-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
"The current pan-European promotion offering five free HD DVD titles with every HD DVD player is seen as a strong sales tool, Venturer's new less-than-300 euros HD DVD player is said to be "coming soon" as is the new Toshiba HD-EP30 - which will be the first 1080p HD DVD standalone player to sell for 400 euros or less."

I've only seen the movies with the player deal with the HD E1. What other players is this offered with?
Really.

A friend of mine wants the 360 add on and I am thinking of selling mine to him and buying a standalone unit.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:24 PM

The other Blu-ray CE manufacturers must be ecstatic about this news.