Transformers Review (SD) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-08-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Transformers Review (SD)

Posted in Smackdown because Blu-exclusive fans are not getting this movie in High Def but they can certainly enjoy the SD version!

The standard def DVD reviews for Transformers are starting to come in and, if it looks and sounds this good on SD, imagine how spectacular it will be on HD DVD!!!

http://www.eyecravedvd.com/dvd/dvdReview.php?dvdID=1206

Bits from the review (rankings are on a 10-point scale):

Quote:
Video:
2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

I wouldn't have expected anything less than perfect when it came to the video transfer for this film, and it looks pretty solid to me. I didn't notice any of the typical flaws which plague most DVD releases such as compression artifacts or noise. The skin tone looked natural and effects looked sublime. After seeing how great this looks on SD DVD I cannot wait to check out the HD DVD version.
Crave Factor - 9 A little satisfaction from the older technology.

Audio:
Needless to say this is fantastic audio track and your system will be taxed.
Crave Factor - 10 This screams demo material.

Extras:
Crave Factor - 10 "More than meets the eye". Sorry had to be done.

Menu & Packaging:
The packaging for the 2-disc special edition is also pretty cool featuring a clear slip sleeve case with only the movie title on it. On either side of the Amaray case it features Optimus Prime and Megatron similar to the movie posters, but on a white background instead.
Crave Factor - 10 This is very cool.

BTW, the HD DVD version comes in the same type of packaging as the standard def 2-disc version!

There's lots more in the actual review!

If the SD version is this impressive, imagine how utterly fantastic the HD DVD version will be!! I am absolutely certain that the HD DVD version will earn perfect scores for audio and video. Maybe one reviewer here or there might downgrade the audio a bit (no lossless track) but we all know, if the standard def can earn a perfect 10 ("This screams demo material"), the HD DVD version will sound absolutely stunning even without lossless.

I CAN'T WAIT TO EXPERIENCE THIS MOVIE IN MY HOME THEATER IN GLORIOUS HD!

Mark
Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Banned

I can not wait! If a movie ever was meant to be seen in High Definition then it's Transformers!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Banned

Actually, if they want the HD version to take off, they shouldn't have made the SD that good.
Me, I can wait 17 months, when it should be the price of a nice catalog release on BD. In the meantime, I think I'll just go to the neighborhood IMAX to see it again.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Banned

Good luck waiting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroygt View Post
Actually, if they want the HD version to take off, they shouldn't have made the SD that good.
Me, I can wait 17 months, when it should be the price of a nice catalog release on BD. In the meantime, I think I'll just go to the neighborhood IMAX to see it again.
HD version? come on man.. There are so many more DVD players then HD and Blu-ray combined. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot? Its about money from the masses. They know the HD people will buy this up and they knwo the Blu-Ray people will buy the DVD version. Why hold back from the normal version? it still costs money.

Default Another review of the SD version

Here's what IGN had to say:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/825/825332p1.html

Bits from IGN's review:

Quote:
Video:
Amazing coloration, rich black levels and a complete absence of grain or ghosting make this one of the more impressive-looking stand-def DVD's we've seen to date. Visually, this DVD not only meets the eye, but punches you squarely in itů

Score: 10 out of 10

Audio
Again, there's a certain standard for system-pushing that any Bay DVD seems to meet and, as with the visuals, the audio measures up. With huge explosions, booming mechanical voices and amazing 360-degree, Dolby Digital 5.1 surround-sound effects, these transformers will punch, kick and shoot their way through your living room, leaving a path of sonic destruction in their wake. This DVD represents another showcase disc worthy of sitting at the very front of your collection.

Score: 10 out of 10
With the standard def version earning these types of comments, is there ANY doubt about the HD DVD version?

"Showcase disc worthy of sitting at the very front of your collection.

Eat your hearts out there Blu crew!

Mark
Old 10-08-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroygt View Post
This is going to be the DEMO DISC OF THE YEAR! I'm so happy that you will only get to watch it in IMAX or in standard def. Seriously, I am SO happy for you!

Mark
Old 10-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Banned

I imagine Transformers will become everyone's new demo material. King Kong, Batman begins and Hulk were mine. If Transformers is what I think it's going to be then I believe I have found my new Demo Material.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
This is going to be the DEMO DISC OF THE YEAR! I'm so happy that you will only get to watch it in IMAX or in standard def. Seriously, I am SO happy for you!

Mark
haha, we made the same post, you beat me by a few seconds haha. Yes demo material!!
Old 10-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Mark
I also have ways to watch it in HD, without an HD DVD player, so don't hold your breath. I will personally be very happy when your HD DVD investment gets laserdisc'd in a couple years.