HD DVD stand-alones selling 5 times more than Blu-ray stand-alones - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-16-2007, 01:46 AM

Default HD DVD stand-alones selling 5 times more than Blu-ray stand-alones

HD DVD stand alones selling at a 5:1 ratio over Blu-Ray standalones. But the PS3 is still pushing Blu-Ray.

Source

"All told, a hair over 79 percent of all next-gen DVD players are tied to gaming consoles in some way or another. That means that so far, only 21 percent of next-gen players sold were bought by consumers as standalone units. Further, sales of HD DVD standalone units outpaced Blu-ray units by nearly 5 times as many units, comprising almost 83 percent of standalone purchases versus Blu-ray's 17 percent of the same. Presented this way, HD DVD appears to have more momentum than Blu-ray."

Argue PS3 v. XBox 360 all day. But standalones is what brought DVD into the forefront not the PS2 or XBox
Old 01-16-2007, 01:52 AM

Yeah, the numbers published from NPD and other sources pretty much agree as well. HD DVD standalones are dominating Blu-Ray standalones.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:14 AM
noobydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post
HD DVD stand alones selling at a 5:1 ratio over Blu-Ray standalones. But the PS3 is still pushing Blu-Ray.

Source

"All told, a hair over 79 percent of all next-gen DVD players are tied to gaming consoles in some way or another. That means that so far, only 21 percent of next-gen players sold were bought by consumers as standalone units. Further, sales of HD DVD standalone units outpaced Blu-ray units by nearly 5 times as many units, comprising almost 83 percent of standalone purchases versus Blu-ray's 17 percent of the same. Presented this way, HD DVD appears to have more momentum than Blu-ray."

Argue PS3 v. XBox 360 all day. But standalones is what brought DVD into the forefront not the PS2 or XBox
Bingo! I have posted numerous times that the PS3 will never determine the winner of this war. People want a real movie player and Toshiba is delivering the goods at all prices. Wait until Onkyo comes on board. I can't wait to see their player. You can bet it won't be playing any games.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:19 AM

I also can't wait to see onkyo so i can match up my reciever finally
Old 01-16-2007, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post

Source

This is a HUGE statistic. Pretty much means without the PS3 blu-ray as a format is dead. It's that simple. Add that to the fact that PS3 Demand is WAY lower than expected this war is going to last a while.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:16 AM

We know this already....NOW STUDIOS PLEASE TAKE NOTICE
Old 01-16-2007, 04:20 AM

Awesome news. Last week I was thinking that HD was starting to fall behind a bit but that doesn't look to be the case.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Awesome news. Last week I was thinking that HD was starting to fall behind a bit but that doesn't look to be the case.
No, HD DVD is not at all falling back. There is an enormous amount of pent up consumer support for it. Sales had only slowed on Amazon because it has been a slow month, but with some great new releases coming out, you can see the power of that consumer base.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:35 AM

Hello people. The Hd DVD standalones are half the price of blu-ray standalones, and we're not talking about a $100. Of course they are outselling blu-ray standalones. If not for the Ps3, I'd probably own an Hd DVd player.

I'm also sure that many blu-ray supporters purchased the Ps3 instead of the standalone.

If you think the PS3 hasn't changed the landscape you are deluding yourself. It has made blu-ray the clear favorite because they already had the studio support to drive greater quality content..
Old 01-16-2007, 04:48 AM
noobydoo

Post Microsoft to introduce Standalone Player?

This from The Digital Bits:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa131.html#ep1

"Later in the evening, the HD-DVD Group held their official press event at the Venetian and the mood was upbeat, with several interesting announcements made. First, it was revealed that the Chinese manufacturers Alco, Shinco and Lite-On will introduce cheaper, budget-line HD-DVD players later in 2007, as will the Japanese company Onkyo (although there's some confusion as to whether Onkyo's players will be available in the U.S.). Microsoft has also indicated that they may introduce their own branded HD-DVD player - an indicator of just how much the company has invested in the format's success."

Could be more more to that deal with Broadcom and the Chinese mfg than anyone suspected... If this is true, Microsoft has a bottomless pit of money for advertising and is already well established in the B&M stores. Unlike Toshiba, these units would be prominently displayed and mercilessly marketed. The tie ins to HP MCE's networked with IPTV on the 360 makes me drool...