do u think this should happen ..?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Thumbs up do u think this should happen ..??

for the sake of the people who are buying hd and blu, i think hd dvd should make some kinda of firmware update that will play all blu rays in the hd dvd players and blu ray should do the same so that all blu ray players play hd dvd discs.so that way if any format looses the people who are buying hd and blu dont suffer.

what do u all think..???

pls post what u people think

thanks

HD DVDS---188

BLU RAYS--- 30
Old 09-14-2007, 04:17 PM

BD and HD-DVD use different lenses in the laser pickups, which focuses the beam to different depths. You can't change that with firmware.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:18 PM

My eyes... it hurts... so much red.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:18 PM

Sadly this is impossible with a simple firmware update, the two formats use two different lasers
Old 09-14-2007, 04:20 PM

oh sorry .i was thinking that both use a blue laser...pls correct me if i am wrong....
Old 09-14-2007, 04:24 PM

They do both use a blue laser. However HD DVD players are incapable of focusing at the depth that the data layer is located on a Blu-ray disc (.1mm).

Blu-ray players on the other hand CAN focus at the .6mm depth of the HD DVD layers, since it's the same depth that DVD uses and Blu-ray players can all play DVDs. This makes it easier to convert a Blu-ray player into an HD DVD player, as the LG combo player shows.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare View Post
BD and HD-DVD use different lenses in the laser pickups, which focuses the beam to different depths. You can't change that with firmware.
Just to point out, Blu-ray could read HD DVDs with the same pickup. Amir seems to think that it's possible for the PS3 to read HD DVDs after a firmware upgrade. The pickup on Blu-ray focuses to a smaller point than on HD DVD, so a Blu-ray reading a HD DVD wouldn't be much different than a DVD laser reading a CD.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
Just to point out, Blu-ray could read HD DVDs with the same pickup. Amir seems to think that it's possible for the PS3 to read HD DVDs after a firmware upgrade. The pickup on Blu-ray focuses to a smaller point than on HD DVD, so a Blu-ray reading a HD DVD wouldn't be much different than a DVD laser reading a CD.
sounds like a fantastic idea to me.. hmm. i wonder if a certain company has something up its sleves..
Old 09-14-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
Just to point out, Blu-ray could read HD DVDs with the same pickup.
Now that is interesting...

Do Blu-ray players use the blue laser to read standard DVDs, or do they carry a secondary red laser that focuses to the DVD depth?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare View Post
Now that is interesting...

Do Blu-ray players use the blue laser to read standard DVDs, or do they carry a secondary red laser that focuses to the DVD depth?
secondary red laser as far as im aware.