Robocop Getting Non Special Treatment - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-14-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Robocop Getting Non Special Treatment

So MGM are now releasing their 'pulled' version of Robocop taken from a 'cleaned up' master with no bonus features whatsoever.

They will probably list it at $39.99 with friends like MGM and Fox having apparently shelved Master & Commander AGAIN! who needs enemies. Its getting to the stage with Fox/MGM that exclusive has less to do with the fact they only release on Blu Ray but because their releases are so rare!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:13 AM

Quite a few impartial people said this would happen when Fox's kneejerk reaction to Paramount dumping Blu Ray first surfaced. Of course they were knocked back as being dirty HD DVD fanboys who are just jealous that they can't get Fox titles.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:16 AM

If the transfer gets a good review then I can forgive the lack of extras.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshikisen View Post
Well the report on the front page of this site says its being taken from a 'cleaned up' print of the unrated cut, no mention of the print being re-mastered at all.

Granted the unrated cut is a plus but unless the transfer is getting 4 stars I'd say the upscaled SD will probably look as good if not better which defets the purpose
Old 09-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimboli View Post
Well the report on the front page of this site says its being taken from a 'cleaned up' print of the unrated cut, no mention of the print being re-mastered at all.

Granted the unrated cut is a plus but unless the transfer is getting 4 stars I'd say the upscaled SD will probably look as good if not better which defets the purpose
So any HD DVD that gets less than 4 stars, like half of Universal's releases, we should just use the upscaled DVD since it will "look as good if not better"?
I guess the Sony exec had a point telling us to upscale!!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshikisen View Post
That's it - encourage LESS extras for the SAME price.

Way too many BD supporters are willing to say "I don't care about extras," which is interesting since, as movie fans, we are probably the ones who were most likely to buy mutli-disc special edition SDVDs.

Suddenly, no one around here watches extras. So if I were to look through your DVD collections, I would find ONLY single-disc, day and date releases among the majority of BD supporters, right? Since you never cared about extras.

Stop letting these studios off the hook. This is supposed to be "next generation" movie viewing - why are you okay with studios that give you NOTHING for extras?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmslives View Post
That's it - encourage LESS extras for the SAME price.

Way too many BD supporters are willing to say "I don't care about extras," which is interesting since, as movie fans, we are probably the ones who were most likely to buy mutli-disc special edition SDVDs.

Suddenly, no one around here watches extras. So if I were to look through your DVD collections, I would find ONLY single-disc, day and date releases among the majority of BD supporters, right? Since you never cared about extras.

Stop letting these studios off the hook. This is supposed to be "next generation" movie viewing - why are you okay with studios that give you NOTHING for extras?
Well-said.....
Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Well-said.....
It's early in the day - by three o'clock I'll sound like I'm ready for the bar . . .
Old 09-14-2007, 09:01 AM

Trying to defend the lack of extras of any kind on this disc is absurd. This disc should cost $20 tops. Certainly not $40. Very dissapointing. I'll wait for the reviews. If pq is somehow rated "stunning," I'll probably get this at some point in the future. Not a good start for Fox in its "return to Blu-ray."
Old 09-14-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroygt View Post
So any HD DVD that gets less than 4 stars, like half of Universal's releases, we should just use the upscaled DVD since it will "look as good if not better"?
I guess the Sony exec had a point telling us to upscale!!!!
I never said that wasn't the case with Uni, generally any title with 3 stars for PQ is at a similar level as an upscaled SD.

Its the same for both sides my point was if you read the article on the blu page this title was originally pulled because of bad PQ as review copies were sent out but now they are releasing it but from a cleaner print not a re-mastered one let alone the fact the SD SE version was a 2 discer and this is barebones