Robocop Getting Non Special Treatment - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Pimboli's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,284
Default Robocop Getting Non Special Treatment

So MGM are now releasing their 'pulled' version of Robocop taken from a 'cleaned up' master with no bonus features whatsoever.

They will probably list it at $39.99 with friends like MGM and Fox having apparently shelved Master & Commander AGAIN! who needs enemies. Its getting to the stage with Fox/MGM that exclusive has less to do with the fact they only release on Blu Ray but because their releases are so rare!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,250
Default

Quite a few impartial people said this would happen when Fox's kneejerk reaction to Paramount dumping Blu Ray first surfaced. Of course they were knocked back as being dirty HD DVD fanboys who are just jealous that they can't get Fox titles.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-14-2007, 08:16 AM
goshikisen's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,599
Default

If the transfer gets a good review then I can forgive the lack of extras.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Pimboli's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshikisen View Post
If the transfer gets a good review then I can forgive the lack of extras.
Well the report on the front page of this site says its being taken from a 'cleaned up' print of the unrated cut, no mention of the print being re-mastered at all.

Granted the unrated cut is a plus but unless the transfer is getting 4 stars I'd say the upscaled SD will probably look as good if not better which defets the purpose
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimboli View Post
Well the report on the front page of this site says its being taken from a 'cleaned up' print of the unrated cut, no mention of the print being re-mastered at all.

Granted the unrated cut is a plus but unless the transfer is getting 4 stars I'd say the upscaled SD will probably look as good if not better which defets the purpose
So any HD DVD that gets less than 4 stars, like half of Universal's releases, we should just use the upscaled DVD since it will "look as good if not better"?
I guess the Sony exec had a point telling us to upscale!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-14-2007, 08:40 AM
rmslives's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshikisen View Post
If the transfer gets a good review then I can forgive the lack of extras.
That's it - encourage LESS extras for the SAME price.

Way too many BD supporters are willing to say "I don't care about extras," which is interesting since, as movie fans, we are probably the ones who were most likely to buy mutli-disc special edition SDVDs.

Suddenly, no one around here watches extras. So if I were to look through your DVD collections, I would find ONLY single-disc, day and date releases among the majority of BD supporters, right? Since you never cared about extras.

Stop letting these studios off the hook. This is supposed to be "next generation" movie viewing - why are you okay with studios that give you NOTHING for extras?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-14-2007, 08:44 AM
james's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmslives View Post
That's it - encourage LESS extras for the SAME price.

Way too many BD supporters are willing to say "I don't care about extras," which is interesting since, as movie fans, we are probably the ones who were most likely to buy mutli-disc special edition SDVDs.

Suddenly, no one around here watches extras. So if I were to look through your DVD collections, I would find ONLY single-disc, day and date releases among the majority of BD supporters, right? Since you never cared about extras.

Stop letting these studios off the hook. This is supposed to be "next generation" movie viewing - why are you okay with studios that give you NOTHING for extras?
Well-said.....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 AM
rmslives's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Well-said.....
It's early in the day - by three o'clock I'll sound like I'm ready for the bar . . .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Arkadin's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 12,401
Default

Trying to defend the lack of extras of any kind on this disc is absurd. This disc should cost $20 tops. Certainly not $40. Very dissapointing. I'll wait for the reviews. If pq is somehow rated "stunning," I'll probably get this at some point in the future. Not a good start for Fox in its "return to Blu-ray."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Pimboli's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroygt View Post
So any HD DVD that gets less than 4 stars, like half of Universal's releases, we should just use the upscaled DVD since it will "look as good if not better"?
I guess the Sony exec had a point telling us to upscale!!!!
I never said that wasn't the case with Uni, generally any title with 3 stars for PQ is at a similar level as an upscaled SD.

Its the same for both sides my point was if you read the article on the blu page this title was originally pulled because of bad PQ as review copies were sent out but now they are releasing it but from a cleaner print not a re-mastered one let alone the fact the SD SE version was a 2 discer and this is barebones
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Robocop 2' & 'Robocop 3' Collector's Editions coming March 21 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 5 12-07-2016 12:22 AM
Guillermo del Toro's 'Pan's Labyrinth' Getting Criterion Treatment Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 11 06-29-2016 04:59 PM
'Fantastic Mr. Fox' is getting the Criterion treatment February 18! Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 5 11-19-2013 09:29 AM
Fable getting the HD Treatment thejnc Game Room 17 06-04-2013 01:51 PM
2012 London Olympics are Getting the 3D Treatment TheDickWard 3D Gear & Movies 2 08-06-2011 10:01 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off