Movie collecting in HD... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-13-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Movie collecting in HD...

I remember the time when I was collecting VHS versions of my favorite movies... the "letterbox" version since it is the better one over the normal version for the mass public. I even got the original Stars Wars Letterbox version (before the special edition). One of my friends then refused to get any VHS tapes because he rather get the new DVD versions of the movie (even though they weren't released yet in DVD).

That was like almost 10 years ago and when moving recently, I had to give away pretty much most of my VHS collection. No one wants them anymore and to think the amount of money I spent on that which I could get on DVD. I have a pretty impressive (for me at least) DVD collection of over 200 movies I enjoy and would like to share with my friends and family. They range from movies I grew up with (Disney classics) to more geeky stuff I like (anime).

I bought the initial release of most DVDs when they were around $20 a piece for the non-anamorphic, plain vanilla version of the movie. I saved up to get the Aliens Trilogy (the original one). Now they are re-releasing a lot of those. Super special edition or whatever with more extras. I think I got like 2-3 versions of Terminator 2. Then I stop collecting movies.

Fast forward to now, I purchased my first DLP HD-TV almost 4 years ago and just recently got a 2nd LCD HD-TV. I don't have any HD media player yet (no Blu-Ray or HD-DVD). I have seen what Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies look like from my dad's home theater setup (Xbox 360 + HD-DVD add-on & PS3). The image and sound is beautiful and I can't wait to get myself setup for it. He has a small collection of both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies... most of them of newer films.

HOWEVER, it feels still like the beginning stages of when I started collected DVD's. The studios are still getting themselves familiar with the HD media (what they can do, etc.). I don't want to get burned now for buying Version 1.0 of the HD media movies when maybe in 3 years down the line they will have the enhanced super version at a cheaper price with all the bugs worked out. The format war isn't helping as it just makes it harder for me to jump into either format. It's tempting to walk out with 5 free HD-DVD and a cheap player ... and it is also tempting to walk out with a PS3 with 5 free Blu-Ray movies too. Just thinking about this forum prevents me from commiting to one.

Would I buy cheapo brand? Most likely not since the total home theater setup is as good as your weakest part... and do you really want the player to be the weakest part?

So right now I can't get myself to buy DVD movies now... nor can I get myself to commit to a HD-DVD platform. I am stuck in la-la land until it is clearer what the future of HD media is. Until then, my hard earn $ will be in the bank earning whatever tiny interest is available.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:37 PM

Ha! Sounds like my story as well. I have a small collection of Blu movies for my PS3, but I have decided to hold off on new purchasing until the next major step in deciding the HD winner happens. Honestly, I like both formats and would be fine going with either one, but I want to wait until the front-runner is clearly in the front.

I considered buying the titles not available on Blu in the HD DVD format, but I am reluctant to go down that road. I would rather just wait and see what the outcome of the war is.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:59 PM

ya but with that logic ur always buying the new thing when its on the way out... I mean by the time hd and blu proces were really cheap like dvd prices are today there would be something better coming or already out... soo really u wouldnt want the hd dvds or blu dvds anyways.. Theres a reason dvds are soo cheap now everyone has one its cost effective and its no longer a must have item.. Its become an impulse buy market when there all 10 movies... It sucks to know that my 360 will be out dated one day or so will my ps3 but thats technology itll always improve... Like there talking about wireless hd tvs.. does that mean i dont buy a tv till that comes out? its just one of those things u suck up and spend a fortune on... Just think of it this way... you could be spending crazy amounts on season tickets to ur fav sport team or to musicals or concerts that you have absolutely NOTHING afterward except for the experience.. at least with the hd and blu u got them for a good 10 yrs
Old 09-13-2007, 03:24 PM

I don't buy many DVDs anyway but I'm definitely not buying anymore of those with HD going. And I probably won't buy any more BD discs until the format war settles down again. I don't see the odds on HD DVD winning being very high, but I don't want to buy BD's on the off chance something crazy happens like with this paramount garbage. So it's only HD via netflix for me until HD DVD goes back to being irrelevant again. It probably won't be that long as I suspect the holiday disc sales figures should seal HD DVD's doom.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5nintendo View Post
ya but with that logic ur always buying the new thing when its on the way out... I mean by the time hd and blu proces were really cheap like dvd prices are today there would be something better coming or already out... soo really u wouldnt want the hd dvds or blu dvds anyways..
I would agree with you however if some of the people remember, there was a phase with DVDs when they first came out which the packaging was not standardize (cardboard), capacity wasn't standardize (flippy), some lack extras (Paramount), and weren't encoded properly (non-anamorphic). I am just waiting out this early learning phase. Plus of course, there is no format war then.

They have learned a lot from DVDs that the curve through this phase should finish faster (HD-DVD probably first and then Blu-Ray).
Old 09-13-2007, 03:31 PM

What the point of waiting out this "early stage" ?

We're already getting 5 star pq, sq movies full of all the extras the dvd versions have + exclusive HD extras. Isn't going to get much better.

Just buy the HD movies that don't skimp on extras. Take a look at blade runner comeing out on HD for instance.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:39 PM

Yeah, I dont worry about the war in the regards of buying HD movies, cause whoever wins the discs i bought. Still will play in that loser formats player. Alot of your guys think the war is going to end after x-mas "I seriously doubt it". Wishful thinking but by opinion is. The HD market is so small. Can anyone win a war where the entire war isnt that big anyways.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:14 PM

My collection of dvd's was pretty small (around 10), but when I saw how great these new formats could look I have really started my collection.

IMO it is a great time to get into collecting, many of these films look and sound better than they did in a good theatre. The hardware is becoming reasonable and even if one format literally dies overnight your collection will always be preserved through dual format players which will be cheap as dirt.

For someone who didn't like dvd I have dived in headfirst to hd, it's a great time to be a movie lover.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:47 PM

Well I'm REALLY tired of always updating movies, VHS to DVD to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. Over the last 15 years I've spent tons on collecting movies. I've got 200 some DVD's now and refuse to update them. It's such a waste of money if you don't spend a lot of time watching them. I've got some DVD's from 8 years ago that I've never watched.

I'll do the Netflix option from now on..........
Old 09-13-2007, 04:51 PM

The beauty of the new formats is that my collection isn't obsolete this time. I can choose to upgrade my existing movies if I choose, and for stuff like LotR and the like, I most definitely will. But the majority of my collection will happily upscale without having to keep an old box around for no reason.