Warner: We're Staying With HD DVD & Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-12-2007, 04:14 PM

Thumbs up Warner: We're Staying With HD DVD & Blu-ray

Warner: We're Staying With HD DVD & Blu-ray

The studio's home video prez discounts reports of a switch to HD DVD only.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/warner091207.htm

Quote:
Washington, D.C. (September 12, 2007) -- Warner Home Video president Ron Sanders says the studio will continue to release films on Blu-ray and HD DVD high-def discs.

At least for now.

That's according to an article by TWICE Magazine.

The Los Angeles Times reported this week that Warner has received a "lucrative" offer from HD DVD supporters to back HD DVD exclusively in the format war. Paramount last month stunned the industry by announcing that it would support HD DVD exclusively. (Four major studios back Blu-ray only.)

But Sanders tells TWICE that Warner will "remain committed to both for the time being."

"We're talking to both sides and its crazy right now," he said. "Well see how the fourth quarter plays out. The consumer is still kind of divided, and we still believe that we should offer the content in both formats. Now, we will watch the marketplace very closely, and see how it plays out, but for now we are supporting both."

Interestingly, Sanders didn't deny the premise of TWICE's question: "Have you received offers from HD DVD or Blu-ray to be exclusive with either format, as Paramount recently did with HD DVD?"

Instead, he avoided a direct answer by saying "we're talking to both sides" and that Warner will "remain committed to both for the time being."

Sanders also told TWICE that Warner will release all four Harry Potter movies on high-def disc in time for the holiday season.
Let the courting wars begin!

If Blu-ray continues to dominate in disc sales, it would be nice to see Warner make a decision backed up by consumer demand rather than the opposite from Paramount's actions.

Either way, for now, keep dreaming HD-DUD boys.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:19 PM

I think this is good news for Blu-Ray based on the current release schedule and the sales trends over the past year. If Blu-Ray can continue to lead by a 2:1 or greater margin the rest of the year they may be able to sway Warner over by early 2008. CES could be very interesting this year
Old 09-12-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
I think this is good news for Blu-Ray based on the current release schedule and the sales trends over the past year. If Blu-Ray can continue to lead by a 2:1 or greater margin the rest of the year they may be able to sway Warner over by early 2008. CES could be very interesting this year
I totally agree. Let's hope that consumer-minded studios abound at next year's CES, and Warner sees the Blu light.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

If Blu-ray continues to dominate in disc sales, it would be nice to see Warner make a decision backed up by consumer demand rather than the opposite from Paramount's actions.

this article won't sway the HD DVD fan boys since the 'for now' was included in the statement.

remember when the walmart spokeswoman stated that they would not carry the cheap HD DVD players during the holidays? based on that statement, the HD DVD fan boys claimed it meant they would carry them soon, and then that somehow developed into they are going to carry their own brand.

talk about imagination overdrive...
Old 09-12-2007, 04:22 PM

As long as they continue to favor HD DVD, who cares? Well, blu-boys can change their diapers now...
Old 09-12-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:

I'm glad we finally have closure on this rumor . . . but of course, instead of letting the link speak for itself, you have to throw in a weak and entirely uncreative "insult."

You actually watered down your own smackdown by resorting to junior high name calling - good for you!

Anyway, I hope this will allow sanity to return to the table, as WB would have to be insane to go exclusive. Yes, I think Paramount made what is a pretty irrational decision - so there, I've said it! But I'll still buy Transformers.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I totally agree. Let's hope that consumer-minded studios abound at next year's CES, and Warner sees the Blu light.
Warner sees the green ($) light like any other company. Let us see how this Christmas season goes.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejamz View Post
this article won't sway the HD DVD fan boys since the 'for now' was included in the statement.

remember when the walmart spokeswoman stated that they would not carry the cheap HD DVD players during the holidays? based on that statement, the HD DVD fan boys claimed it meant they would carry them soon, and then that somehow developed into they are going to carry their own brand.

talk about imagination overdrive...
The one that cracked me up was the one speculating that "the holidays" really only meant Labor Day.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:25 PM

or warner wants to release all there hits on blu ray b4 xmas and then bail ship for hd dvd... get some profit from sony first... Sony cant pay everysingle company off but there is a chance microsoft will simply buy a studio... sonys already bought one since this war started can they afford 2 plus there own studio?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:

You started the thread great, then you mess it up at the end showing your HD DVD hatred...what a shame.