STARZ employing region locking - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-12-2007, 06:27 AM

Default STARZ employing region locking

It has been confirmed on a number of sites that Halloween, Day of the Dead and Evil Dead 2 are Region Locked to A.

I have to say I am quite pissed at this as I was looking forward to importing them. I cannot understand why, lets be fair, very old titles that have been released and re-released on every format going needs to be region locked.

The different distributors theory doesnt hold water with me in fact it is a reason for the studio to not lock it and get the money from exports rather than let the money go to foreign distributors.

I also disagree with Day & Date region locking for this simple reason, in a years time these same titles will be classified as 'catelog' but still region locked so effectively every new title that is released on BD will be region locked for good as I doubt they are going to re-issue a region free version later.

Lastly New Line I cannot understand them region locking when WB dont. Firstly, the HD market is small in Europe and if anyone imported the title from the US they would be actually paying New Line more direct to them than would be case of seeing it in a theatre. Secondly (and most important) practically EVERYONE in europe now has a multi-region DVD player so can play US discs and can pirate them all they want easier and cheaper so the anti-piracy excuse is rubbish too.

Region Locking Sucks
Old 09-12-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimboli View Post
The different distributors theory doesnt hold water with me in fact it is a reason for the studio to not lock it and get the money from exports rather than let the money go to foreign distributors.
Don't forget these "foreign distributors" have actually paid money to get the distribution rights to these movies in other territories. How pissed would you be if you forked out thousands of dollars to secure exclusive UK rights to a movie, then a region free version was released in another country and half your potential UK sales were nuked before you had chance to enter the marketplace?

I think I'd be wanting a refund personally.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
It has been confirmed on a number of sites that Halloween, Day of the Dead and Evil Dead 2 are Region Locked to A.
Can you link us to at least a few of the sites you're referring to?
Quote:
Lastly New Line I cannot understand them region locking when WB dont.
that's simple - new line have deals with other studios for their movies theatrically as they are not as big as the other major studios.
if they want to release hairspray here it is still in its theatrical window in other parts of the world. the studios they have their contracts with will be upset if people know they can import the high definition version while it's still in the cinema, they're losing potential ticket sales.
thus region coding allows a studio to release in the USA and then other parts of the world once it is outside the theatrical window.
this is why sony do not region code movies outside the theatrical window. All catalog titles are region free
Quote:
The different distributors theory doesnt hold water with me in fact it is a reason for the studio to not lock it
probably why new line won't ever sign a distribution deal with your studio
Old 09-12-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRox View Post
Don't forget these "foreign distributors" have actually paid money to get the distribution rights to these movies in other territories. How pissed would you be if you forked out thousands of dollars to secure exclusive UK rights to a movie, then a region free version was released in another country and half your potential UK sales were nuked before you had chance to enter the marketplace?

Well the main two culprits are Fox and now STARZ, Fox release their own titles in the Europe except I believe in Germany for some reason and Anchor Bay do STARZ titles which is part of Starz so its not like Canal+ picking up titles for distribution.

Again as I say you can pick these titles on SD from the US no problem which circumvents buying titles from the local distributor before and has never been an issue as the US releases tended to have extra features.

Disturbia for example opens this weekend over here and I got it 6 weeks ago on HD DVD, I dont see Paramount sweating over it
Old 09-12-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:

I hate region coding and its actual use is a solid reason to avoid Blu ray players in the UK and Ireland. I doubt the other European customers would like it.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:39 AM

I thought Blu-ray people had said Region Coding was only allowed on new releases that were still in theaters in other countries?

I am sure I have read that many times. What gives?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzparentl View Post
I thought Blu-ray people had said Region Coding was only allowed on new releases that were still in theaters in other countries?

I am sure I have read that many times. What gives?
no, that is sony's policy as far as i know

bda policy is no region coding on any title one year after its first release, but that perhaps means first bluray release?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Guru View Post
Can you link us to at least a few of the sites you're referring to?

this is why sony do not region code movies outside the theatrical window. All catalog titles are region free
These same titles though will be region locked when they are catelog titles though.

Im in work so am being blocked all other the place but the site that the update is listed on is on of the new links that are given at the top of the undernoted link that is no longer being updated.

http://bluray.lindsite.dk/

The first 3 Starz titles are region locked and in fact Anchor Bay I have just found out have changed their name to STARZ in the UK too so the distribution territory theory holds less water now.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
These same titles though will be region locked when they are catelog titles though.
no they will not be

a year after release any new pressings must be region free
Old 09-12-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Quite frankly they get what they deserve. If they didn't lag behind US releases by so many months, AND charge far more for things when they do get off their lazy backsides and release them, then perhaps people wouldn't use imports so much.

Cinema releases have come a long way in the UK of late, with many (perhaps even most) films coming out with just a week or two delay. Pixar are a big exception though - they still delay EU releases by many months.