Studio switch likeliness thread... - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,247
Default Studio switch likeliness thread...

Let's list how likely each studio is to switch sides or go neutral. This is obviously guessing, since we have no idea what goes inside each studio...My list would be:

Most likely to switch sides or go neutral

Paramount (They've shown that they're up for sale, so when the time comes, they'll surely switch sides/go neutral again)
Weinstein (BD rumors abound, small fish as well)
Lionsgate (Small fish that could be bought like Paramount)
Warner (Many rumors, but nothing certain, they reiterate neutrality every chance they get)
Universal (HD DVD exclusive from the onset, crazy Ken)
Disney (Region Coding)
Fox (BD+ and Region Coding)
Sony (duh)

Least likely to switch sides or go neutral.

This is why I believe Blu will win in the end...it will earn the support of every studio before HD DVD can. We are still at the early stages of the war though, so anything could happen.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroygt View Post
Let's list how likely each studio is to switch sides or go neutral. This is obviously guessing, since we have no idea what goes inside each studio...My list would be:

Most likely to switch sides or go neutral

Paramount (They've shown that they're up for sale, so when the time comes, they'll surely switch sides/go neutral again)
Weinstein (BD rumors abound, small fish as well)
Lionsgate (Small fish that could be bought like Paramount)
Warner (Many rumors, but nothing certain, they reiterate neutrality every chance they get)
Universal (HD DVD exclusive from the onset, crazy Ken)
Disney (Region Coding)
Fox (BD+ and Region Coding)
Sony (duh)

Least likely to switch sides or go neutral.

This is why I believe Blu will win in the end...it will earn the support of every studio before HD DVD can. We are still at the early stages of the war though, so anything could happen.
And consumers hate region coding and playback issues with security measures (read stranger than fiction and Casino Royale not working in DVD players and Sony poffering no update for non Sony models).

And you are kidding yourself if you think only evil paramount can and/or was bought out. In one way or another all of the studios were bought out.

Honestly, do we need another thread like this? We get it, your personally offended about Paramount (why, I don't know)...but for chissakes, man, move on.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Rob.D.inToronto's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,359
Default

Disney doesn't care about Region coding, that is a myth, In fact Disney was a part of the original AACS study group that decided *against* region coding as mandatory. Disney also helped design HDi.

Region coding is a factor that creates the market for pirated goods and is also illegal in some countries, such as Australia and the EU views it as an artificial trade barrier. To date, BD content providers, have avoided region coding their content, likely because it doesn't work.

Disney being BD only is for the same reason as P/DW being HD only, they're being paid.

Of all the real studios, Disney is the mostly like to go neutral.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 11 View Post
And consumers hate region coding and playback issues with security measures (read stranger than fiction and Casino Royale not working in DVD players and Sony poffering no update for non Sony models).

And you are kidding yourself if you think only evil paramount can and/or was bought out. In one way or another all of the studios were bought out.

Honestly, do we need another thread like this? We get it, your personally offended about Paramount (why, I don't know)...but for chissakes, man, move on.
Of course all studios can be bought out, that's why my scale goes from MOST LIKELY to LEAST LIKELY. Not everything is a 1 or a 0, you need to get out of the MS coder mindset

And the reason I started this is due to the Warner rumors...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 11 View Post
And consumers hate region coding and playback issues with security measures (read stranger than fiction and Casino Royale not working in DVD players and Sony poffering no update for non Sony models).

And you are kidding yourself if you think only evil paramount can and/or was bought out. In one way or another all of the studios were bought out.

Honestly, do we need another thread like this? We get it, your personally offended about Paramount (why, I don't know)...but for chissakes, man, move on.
It does not look like the consumers care about region coding.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroygt View Post
Of course all studios can be bought out, that's why my scale goes from MOST LIKELY to LEAST LIKELY. Not everything is a 1 or a 0, you need to get out of the MS coder mindset

And the reason I started this is due to the Warner rumors...
I think its 100% speculation to assume that one studio is more or less likely to go neutral or to the other side based on stupid reasons like region coding.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post
Disney doesn't care about Region coding, that is a myth, In fact Disney was a part of the original AACS study group that decided *against* region coding as mandatory. Disney also helped design HDi.

Region coding is a factor that creates the market for pirated goods and is also illegal in some countries, such as Australia and the EU views it as an artificial trade barrier. To date, BD content providers, have avoided region coding their content, likely because it doesn't work.

Disney being BD only is for the same reason as P/DW being HD only, they're being paid.

Of all the real studios, Disney is the mostly like to go neutral.
If that's the case, I'd move Disney higher up in the scale. But I'd like to read some more info about Disney's reasons for choosing Blu-ray, if you have the links.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan View Post
It does not look like the consumers care about region coding.
Are you referring to the PS3 crowd who dont even know they have a BD player (the real reason BD is winning)?

Most movie buffs abhore region coding. Its pointless.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,250
Default

$$$

Disney had a hell of alot of input into HDi and were very fussed about interactivity in their discs. If Blu Ray doesn't start to deliver on that front, and HD DVD sales start to gain on Blu Rays with the recent momentum they've been building in positive news combined with some cheap players about to imminently hit the market, I can see Disney going neutral before any of the other studios on either side.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroygt View Post
Let's list how likely each studio is to switch sides or go neutral. This is obviously guessing, since we have no idea what goes inside each studio...My list would be:

Most likely to switch sides or go neutral

Paramount (They've shown that they're up for sale, so when the time comes, they'll surely switch sides/go neutral again)
Weinstein (BD rumors abound, small fish as well)
Lionsgate (Small fish that could be bought like Paramount)
Warner (Many rumors, but nothing certain, they reiterate neutrality every chance they get)
Universal (HD DVD exclusive from the onset, crazy Ken)
Disney (Region Coding)
Fox (BD+ and Region Coding)
Sony (duh)

Least likely to switch sides or go neutral.

This is why I believe Blu will win in the end...it will earn the support of every studio before HD DVD can. We are still at the early stages of the war though, so anything could happen.
Some slight corrections:

Paramount - Bought out and Stuck in a contract for 18 months, but probably will switch/break it if the market moves unexpectedly.

Weinstein - BD rumors abound, not a major player

Lionsgate - Probably could be bought like Paramount, but probably wouldn't be worth it

Warner Brothers - The biggest pusher of format neutrality, and probably the only studio actually making any money on their HiDef releases. Unlikely to change their position for 2 years or more.

Universal - Asking more then the BDA is willing to pay for neutrality. This may change.

Disney - Looks at the total potential market, and thus considers every PS3 a potential Blu-Ray player. Won't release on HD DVD until there are a comparable number of potential players.

Fox - Hyper paranoid beyond reason. Even if they pull out of Blu-Ray, it's unlikely they would release on HD DVD at this point. They will likely begin focusing on V.O.D. with heavy encryption within 2-3 years.

Sony - 'Duh'

Not listed in any particular order
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Consolidated Studio Closing Thread ElwoodJD Game Room 5 12-23-2008 04:03 PM
Looking for a good HDMI switch MfumeRising Home Theater Gear 5 04-22-2007 11:05 AM
IOGEAR's HDMI switch to debut for $169.00. MentokTheMindTaker Home Theater Gear 1 03-27-2007 03:32 PM
Optical A/B switch? BanthaPoodoo Home Theater Gear 4 03-25-2007 09:13 AM
HD DVD vs. PS3 Blu-ray connected by HDMI switch dynamite Home Theater Gear 5 03-14-2007 03:54 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off