Nature's Journey Blu-ray delayed due to BD authoring and player weaknesses - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-10-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Nature's Journey Blu-ray delayed due to BD authoring and player weaknesses

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...se_Delayed/951

It seems that a neutral release has had the Blu-ray version delayed for a month due to weaknesses in BD programming and inconsistent players. The most interesting quote:

Quote:
"We pushed the envelope with our sophisticated BD-J Menus, 37Mbps Video Encodes, and DTS-HD Master Audio," said Casey. "This caused problems for both the Professional Authoring and Compilation Tools as well as Consumer BD Players. Firmware updates and fixes had to be implemented to bring the tools and the players up to spec. We pretty much tripped up every tool and player showing their flaws and weaknesses with this release."
While I'm sure BD fans will love the fact that this studio is tweaking their releases to take advantage of Blu-ray's advantages, it also proves just how difficult it is to program Blu-ray discs and how inconsistent the players on the market are. Isn't that a major reason Paramount said they dropped Blu-ray?

Perhaps this is why more studios are not taking advantage of all Blu-ray's "advantages." Perhaps they're not willing to go through all the difficult troubleshooting and expense it would take to tweak the Blu-ray.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...se_Delayed/951

It seems that a neutral release has had the Blu-ray version delayed for a month due to weaknesses in BD programming and inconsistent players. The most interesting quote:

While I'm sure BD fans will love the fact that this studio is tweaking their releases to take advantage of Blu-ray's advantages, it also proves just how difficult it is to program Blu-ray discs and how inconsistent the players on the market are. Isn't that a major reason Paramount said they dropped Blu-ray?
Remember Blood Diamond?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 PM

Too Bad for Blu Ray. High Defintion is not only about great PQ or AQ anymore.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:26 PM

Yeah, too bad they're making use of the extra space and bitrate capabilities. woe is us. Whatever shall we do?

Old 09-10-2007, 06:28 PM

I will reserve my judgment until comparison reviews come out. For Blu-Ray's sake, I hope it was worth the extra time and effort.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:29 PM

Honestly, I can't imagine this was/is going to be a giant seller on either format.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlins View Post
Remember Blood Diamond?

what about Blood Diamond, Warner diddn't bother with bd-j it was obviously
too much of a hassle to work with.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:32 PM

This is not a "Blu-ray sucks" thread. This is a thread showing an example of how difficult programming Blu-ray is, and the troubles that studios are running into trying to do just what every sincere Blu-ray fan says the studios should do...tweak the Blu-rays and take advantage of the advantages Blu-ray has.

What we are seeing now though, is WHY studios have not been doing this. I believe they'll get it worked out in the end, but the lack of consistency of Blu-ray is currently negating their advantages in these areas. Blu-ray's SPECIFICATIONS are to their advantage, but the level of difficulty to take advantage of them is holding these features back from regular use.

I'm sure its a learning curve just wait for them to understand it and take full advantage of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
Honestly, I can't imagine this was/is going to be a giant seller on either format.
The significance is that the studio is trying to push the BD version to the max. Usually same titles from a studio for both formats are not different. Look at any Warner release. The codecs and bitrate are the same.