Maxell backs Blu-ray: Ships Blu-ray Camcorder Discs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-10-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Maxell backs Blu-ray: Ships Blu-ray Camcorder Discs

The Blu-ray ecosystem keeps growing larger...

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...-ray-camcorder

The Blu-ray market got a further boost this week when data storage firm Maxell announced that it will begin shipping 8cm Blu-ray BD-R write-once and BD-RE rewritable discs for the high-definition camcorder market.

Maxell's discs are compatible with the latest Blu-ray camcorders, providing a recording capacity of 7.5GB and allowing the disc to store one hour of full high-definition picture quality at 1920 x 1080 pixels.

The discs feature a special HG hard coat technology layer to protect the recording surface from scratches, dust and fingerprints which can cause playback errors in camcorder media.

The Maxell 8cm Blu-ray discs will be available in the US in September to coincide with the release of Hitachi's Blu-ray camcorders. Discs will retail for $24.99 for the write-once single sided disc and $34.99 for the rewritable version.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 AM

another one turn Blu--let the domino fall --- HURRAY!!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Maxell HD DVD discs...

http://www.agileelectronics.ca/prod_...prod_id=640001

Do you guys check things before posting?

"another one goes purple!"
Old 09-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post
http://www.agileelectronics.ca/prod_...prod_id=640001

Do you guys check things before posting?

"another one goes purple!"

LOL, I guess not.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Vincent Price View Post
LOL, I guess not.
Actually the real problem is atypical of our declining democracy.

The BDA puts out a press release that is written in such a way that it isn't lying, but isn't the truth either.

People read that and see what they want to see, and then run off happy.

Colbert calls it "truthiness". The BDA are excellent at exploiting this.

Shame too. People need to learn to think for themselves again.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post
Actually the real problem is atypical of our declining democracy.

The BDA puts out a press release that is written in such a way that it isn't lying, but isn't the truth either.

People read that and see what they want to see, and then run off happy.

Colbert calls it "truthiness". The BDA are excellent at exploiting this.

Shame too. People need to learn to think for themselves again.
Its rhetoric. To the people in my field, the general public is uninformed, and are easily persuaded by what they see. Its like the fact that studies have proven that the people who watch Fox News are the least informed... hmmm I wonder why. Or Bush saying insurgence is working because there are less deaths, but every summer there has been less.

Anyone or company that has a large enough pocketbook can afford public persuading rhetoric, and all of them do use it.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:53 PM

Actually, Maxell themselves are heavily slanted towards HD DVD... their main production lines are all HD DVD, and they don't really have production lines made for BD-R media. *HOWEVER* Hitachi, who owns Maxell (more or less) is pretty heavily in the Blu-Ray camp, and once Hitachi announced their Blu-Ray camcorders, Maxell had to cut a deal with Verbatim to share technology. The Maxell camcorder discs are actually co-produced on Verbatim's manufacturing lines with part Maxell technology.

As it happens, I'm quite close with both Maxell and Verbatim, and my contact at Verbatim recently visited their plant in Japan where these camcorder discs are being manufactured. Fun stuff
Old 09-10-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootdriver View Post
Its rhetoric. To the people in my field, the general public is uninformed, and are easily persuaded by what they see. Its like the fact that studies have proven that the people who watch Fox News are the least informed... hmmm I wonder why. Or Bush saying insurgence is working because there are less deaths, but every summer there has been less.

Anyone or company that has a large enough pocketbook can afford public persuading rhetoric, and all of them do use it.
That's why google is your friend.

Also, avoid blogs. Blogs are opinionated. And try to ensure that the people you discussing a given topic are seasoned.

Recently I complained that the Sony exec who said the upscaling DVDs is a good enough to watch movies was a bad thing, and was attacked because he didn't want people to buy HD.

Well exactly, he'd rather push the goal of upscaling than buying an HD player. Vis a vi, the goal of Sony isn't to push HDM, it is to push BD or nothing.

Sony BD press reports are exactly the same; attack and discredit. Problem is that we're not stupid anymore, and when we find out we've been lied too we get pissed off. The whole profiles thing really pissed me off. I cam *this* close to buying a BD player then I found out about profiles...now I scream at the top of my lungs about it. In fact, if I were Toshiba I would push the profile issue on all my ads. It is an easy thing to exploit.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:02 PM

http://www.maxell-usa.com/index.aspx...&a=read&pid=28]
Old 09-10-2007, 03:06 PM

Movies and movie players are going to drive recordables, not the other way around. As a storage medium, these latest recordables are pretty much non-starters with the highest capacity recordables at 1/20th the size of the current highest capacity single hard drives. (As opposed to DVD-ROMs being about 2/3 the capacity of the highest capacity hard drives when they were first introduced. Today an optical disc would have to be at least 660GB, so might as well shoot for 1TB.) For portability, it's difficult to beat small external hard drives or USB thumb drives, so the current generation of opticals are pretty much obsolete there too. So the only real reason to use these recordables is to play them on movie players.