My email to Bill Hunt - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-09-2007, 02:38 PM

Default My email to Bill Hunt

Here's an email I just sent to the thedigitalbits.com guy. I've been supportive of his comments (hey, I think it's mostly true) but given recent events if he continues his 'blu-ray is the only possible winner' stance I will seriously start to wonder about all the 'he's in the pocket of Sony' rumors.

Bill,

I'm right with you on ending the format war. I want one format, and I have a preference, but mostly I want a winner so we can get on with next-gen video and stop all the nonsense.

But hasn't the Parmount/Dreamworks announcement changed everything? It's the Battle of Midway. The turning point. You can't say, 'well, it's over blu-ray has won' when major studios are saying, 'We tried blu-ray, and we're giving up on it and going with the other format, it's better for us. All the rumors/news/speculations about payola are sort of moot.

So, given these facts isn't it time to ratchet back the 'blu-ray is the only winner' rhetoric? Or start to loose credibility?

I suspect two months from now software sales will be 50/50. And more and more studios will start looking at the costs/problems of blu-ray manufacture and say, 'hey, if it was good enough for Paramount....'.

Before the Paramount/DW deal, you were right in saying blu-ray looked like the only winner. But things are different now. Just like things were different after we broke the back of the Japanese fleet, sinking two carriers in 10 minutes at Midway.

Blu-ray is no longer the sure thing. It's a war again. Time to sit back and see, not root for one side (who just took a helluva beating).

Best wishes,

A reader
Old 09-09-2007, 02:44 PM

why even entertain this guy by acknowledging his presence?
Makes him think he is more important than he really is.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodet View Post
Time to sit back and see, not root for one side (who just took a helluva beating).
I thought he was pro Blu-Ray not HD.. that last line confused me. Explain to me please, and provide statistical facts, where and how this supposed beating took place.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
given recent events if he continues his 'blu-ray is the only possible winner' stance I will seriously start to wonder about all the 'he's in the pocket of Sony' rumors.
Dude, the BDA/Sony had a big party in his honor. The only more obvious indicator that he's "in the pocket" would be an actual pay stub.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnerd View Post
Dude, the BDA/Sony had a big party in his honor. The only more obvious indicator that he's "in the pocket" would be an actual pay stub.
Yeah they had that party after Toshiba and the HD-DVD group had a party for the digital bits, and gave him a free player.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoBro828 View Post
I thought he was pro Blu-Ray not HD.. that last line confused me. Explain to me please, and provide statistical facts, where and how this supposed beating took place.
You're going to tell me two major studios dumping one format they have previously supported to give sole support to the other format is not 'a beating'?
Old 09-09-2007, 04:37 PM

I've sent Bill several e-mails and I will give him this: he does respond with well thought out arguments, etc., but he is a decent enough guy. That being said his statements on his website to tend to piss me off!!!

If I'm mistaken he has acknowledged that Blu-ray took a hit with the P/DW deal but, he does continue his pro-Blu stance, sure. I haven't seen a new posting on their in a few days so I'm talking kind of blindly here because if he made some big new soapbox argument then I may change my mind .....
Old 09-09-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
You're going to tell me two major studios dumping one format they have previously supported to give sole support to the other format is not 'a beating'?
I am telling you to support your claim of a beating with statistics and not just your own speculation or you have no right for attacking someone for writing editorial pieces when you yourself have shown the very bias in which you attack another for having.

What effect has their leaving had to bring about this beating?

Back up your statement with facts or you are no better than the person you are attacking. How many HD DVD's has been sold since the companies left Blu-ray? How many more HD players have been sold since the companies left Blu-ray? Were there any spikes? How is it "the Battle of Midway. The turning point." when your whole "beating" is based on your very own "I suspect two months from now software sales will be 50/50"

It is only a beating if something tangible and verifiable has occurred other than your imagination.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
2 major studios? I can recall only one, and this studio decided to back the format that was selling half as many movies as the other one, getting a big non-market payoff.

BTW, Paramount owns Dreamworks.

And as far as your 50-50 prediction in the next few months, you are more optimistic than the most optimistic hd dvd supporters. That would mean hd dvd would likely have to sell the same number of hd dvd players they have sold since the inception of the format in the next few months while blu-ray sells absolutely zero player (including PS3s) since blu-ray is outelling hd dvd 2-1.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:10 PM

almost 2 to 1 and for the amount of players on both sides it should be 6 to 1 or there shouldn't even be an hddvd format but were still here. So the almost 2 to 1 lead is expected. We care about the numbers but do the studios care. Obviously paramount, warner make more profit off hddvd so the number of disc sold doesn't matter but to blu boys it does. You guys need that to make yourselves feel better. ( hddvd players will out Oct. 1st and beyond cheapies at walmart Maybe walmat who cares if they are cheap they will sell i know that u know that all blu boys know that and it scares u guys that maybe hddvd has more than a chance now Sony sells stock take out loans to support their gaming and video divisions their in the hole big time f**k sony. Toshiba didnt have to do that so who really is losing take alook u dummies Sony is bleeding from the neck and the whole hd camp is watching. Oh and by the way I'm new hi everyone.