What affect does Rental have on this war? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-10-2007, 12:14 PM

Default What affect does Rental have on this war?

So I love my HiDef movies but I am reluctant to buy movies yet. I have HD-DVD via my XBOX and own about 5 movies total. But I have no plans to buy new movies unless it is a MUST have.

But I have a Netflix accoutn where I currently have pretty much the entire catalog of HD-DVD movies in my queue and I watch about 3 movies per week.

I also know they rent Blu-Ray... Consumers wanting HD now could easily sit out this format war and still enjoy HD through Netflix or some other rental service.

For a small price, well for HD-DVD anyhow the hardware is not TOO pricey. But I know that plenty of PS3 owners are renting their BLuRay discs on NEtflix.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypter View Post
So I love my HiDef movies but I am reluctant to buy movies yet. I have HD-DVD via my XBOX and own about 5 movies total. But I have no plans to buy new movies unless it is a MUST have.

But I have a Netflix accoutn where I currently have pretty much the entire catalog of HD-DVD movies in my queue and I watch about 3 movies per week.

I also know they rent Blu-Ray... Consumers wanting HD now could easily sit out this format war and still enjoy HD through Netflix or some other rental service.

For a small price, well for HD-DVD anyhow the hardware is not TOO pricey. But I know that plenty of PS3 owners are renting their BLuRay discs on NEtflix.
Pretty much what I'm doing as well. No reason for me to buy a movie when I can put it in the queue and have it 2 days later on Netflix or BB. Really, I think it benefits both sides, especially if they make the full catelogs available. I think what's really going to benefit one side or another is going to be the availability of titles. If people start looking for their favorite movie or new release and it's out on BD vs. HDDVD or visa versa, then that could shift their future purchasing. I think most people will be doing it since it's the cost effective approach till title prices drop down to something more reasonable. Might also be a good indicator to see BD vs. HDDVD rentals for both companies.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:27 PM

I think that just like with other media formats those who like to watch movies will continue to do so, whether they buy or rent it.

As both formats appear to be supporting Renting I don't think it will affect a person's decision to buy either a HD-DVD player or a Blu-Ray player.

Since you need to get the player into the home before that person is going to even get HD movies the big focus should be on getting your format into people's homes over your opponent's format.

Most people who rent movies are not hardcore movies buffs and will likely be less willing to fork out the hundreds of dollars it costs right now for either format. If they already own an XBox360 I can see them buying the add on and renting some HD-DVD movies, and the same may be true for those who have purchased the PS3, but you won't see people going out and buying an HD player specifically because they see HD movies available on Netflix.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:17 PM
noobydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypter View Post

I'm on BB and do both. I rent movies I don't want to own but don't hesitate to buy from Amazon too. My reasoning is why do any different than before with DVD's? If HD DVD goes down, all my purchases will still play and you can bet the rental.com's will still have them available for a long time afterwards. If either format goes down, you can bet there will be a "fire" sale for the loser and 4.99 HD movies...
Old 01-10-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobydoo View Post
I'm on BB and do both. I rent movies I don't want to own but don't hesitate to buy from Amazon too. My reasoning is why do any different than before with DVD's? If HD DVD goes down, all my purchases will still play and you can bet the rental.com's will still have them available for a long time afterwards. If either format goes down, you can bet there will be a "fire" sale for the loser and 4.99 HD movies...
If one fails I never thought of the fire sale. I will have to keep my eye out on that one.