Does Alan Bell think we are all idiots? Paramount lies inside - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

Default Does Alan Bell think we are all idiots? Paramount lies inside

so paramount have given the inability to have their orders for bluray discs filled as being the main reason why they have chosen to no longer support bluray

does anyone else not find this statement to be totally absurd?

here are the top 20 selling discs from each side as of aug-5-2007

do you see how many paramount titles have sold well? there are two titles in the hddvd side at #'s 14 and 20 amounting to 26,100

there are none in the top 20 on the bluray side

warner bluray titles in the top 20 have sold over 310,000 copies!!!!

something fishy this way comes my friends, something fishy this way comes
Old 09-08-2007, 02:44 PM

I'm pretty sure they're looking past these ridiculous 20-100K units sold numbers and are looking to push into some real numbers next year. They probably felt that HD DVD's production capacity wasn't going to be an issue as the HD formats pick up, while they obviously had some concerns about BD replication. Maybe that explains the purported 18 month timeline even? Perhaps in 18 months they want the option to see if BD production can meet their needs at that time.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnerd View Post
I'm pretty sure they're looking past these ridiculous 20-100K units sold numbers and are looking to push into some real numbers next year. They probably felt that HD DVD's production capacity wasn't going to be an issue as the HD formats pick up, while they obviously had some concerns about BD replication. Maybe that explains the purported 18 month timeline even? Perhaps in 18 months they want the option to see if BD production can meet their needs at that time.
that does make a lot of sense, but it really doesn't hold true that they would be having current issues filling orders don't you think?

i agree that they may want to see how costs pan out 18 months down the road in which case paramount's decision may well be sensible financially for them, why bother supporting two formats when they aren't selling any discs
Old 09-08-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Guru View Post
you can dodge intelligent discussion by calling it flamebait, but it very much is not

as you can see from philnerd's response, intelligent debate over this glaring fact is very much possible
But Paramont gave their answer to his respose to why they dropped BD.

Whats so hard to understand, move on or buy an HD DVD player.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
But Paramont gave their answer to his respose to why they dropped BD.

Whats so hard to understand, move on or buy an HD DVD player.
this is debating paramount's answer AND providing logical data as to why their response is questionable

if you don't have anything to add to the discussion, please move on
Old 09-08-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Guru View Post
this is debating paramount's answer AND providing logical data as to why their response is questionable

if you don't have anything to add to the discussion, please move on
No I do have something to add,,
This topic has been all over the place on this site.
Why start another?

You should take to your own words "Move On"
Old 09-08-2007, 03:10 PM

No movie studio wants their well being taken care of by another "enemy" movie studio. Such is the case with Sony and Blu Ray. Sony controls the production.

This is why I think BR will fail.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
No movie studio wants their well being taken care of by another "enemy" movie studio. Such is the case with Sony and Blu Ray. Sony controls the production.

This is why I think BR will fail.
Of course, that didn't sound very smart. If this was truly an issue for them, I'm sure Paramount would never have backed Blu-ray in the first place. And I am also absolutely sure that Sony isn't going to restrict replication. The burden of proof is on you to prove that they would, because common sense says otherwise.

Also, as I recall, there is another company that handles replication, but I do not remember it's name. Perhaps someone else here can put that out there.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Serious topic, frivolous thread

If blu-ray has an achilles heel it is manufacturing cost, complexity, and availability.

This is not news. It cost a LOT more to create a blu-ray facility than to update a dvd facility to hd-dvd. There are far fewer blu-ray plants. Sony owns most (or all?) of them.

This is a serious problem for blu-ray and I believe it is the main reason Sony will not win this format war. I'm not saying hd-dvd will win it, either. But with blu-rays manufacturing issues, I just don't see how it can win and become the de facto standard.

Creating a screaming thread about 'Parmounts lies' is not worthwhile.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBM128 View Post
Of course, that didn't sound very smart. If this was truly an issue for them, I'm sure Paramount would never have backed Blu-ray in the first place. And I am also absolutely sure that Sony isn't going to restrict replication. The burden of proof is on you to prove that they would, because common sense says otherwise.

Also, as I recall, there is another company that handles replication, but I do not remember it's name. Perhaps someone else here can put that out there.
There are at least 5 BD50 replicators out there, and the fact is that movie sales are so low right now it is ridiculous to talk about yields. I doubt either format will ever sell in the numbers DVD sells at, and it will most likely be years before day and date releases are selling in the millions on release day (if ever for an individual format).

Neither format has even come close to selling 1 million copies of an individual title. I cannot believe that people are buying this reason as Paramount's excuse for going HD DVD exclusive. I think it had more to do with the money that Toshiba paid them (and who knows what other incentives were offered).