Would you be happy if this format war ended even if the format you're backing lost? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-07-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Would you be happy if this format war ended even if the format you're backing lost?

I dont know about everyone else, but this format war has become ultra stupid. Too many rumors and not enough facts.

My question to you is:

If the format war was able to end right now with the format you're not backing emerging victorious, would you accept that and start buying media or would you rather gut it out in the hope that the format you're backing will prevail?

Im a bluray backer, but Im at the point now, that Im tired of speculation (ala Warner going exclusive, Disney going neutral blah blah blah). If HDDVD won, I would just move on and be happy that I knew I had one format to play all my movies.

Peace
Old 09-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Banned

I'd have to say yes.

Not just because the format I back is currently in the lead {no matter what Universal, Paramount, nor Toshiba have to say about it}

It's because the ol' Ps3 will still play Blu-Ray games and movies if it were to end tomorrow in HD-DVD's favor.

And Sony will probably not stop producing movies on Blu-Ray because they still haven't stopped releasing movies on UMD for the PSP so it's all good.

Logan
Old 09-07-2007, 05:27 PM

Smile

I support HD DVD, but if Blu wone I would buy a Blu-Ray player, and watch some Disney movies with my kids, they are small and they love disney.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Banned

No, because I know I'd be stuck with inferior technology...
Old 09-07-2007, 05:34 PM

I know the Op means well (at least I hope he does) bu this thread is just a chance to say "No because. . . ." since by now many people on here have nothing to say about the other format.

I would not care if HD DVD lost, since I already want a BD layer and realize my HD DVDs would not become obsolete the minute BD "won."
Old 09-07-2007, 05:37 PM

Not at all. I expect it. I own both formats.

I think for consumers sake, blu-ray losing would be the smallest impact. Why? Because blu-ray players will be readily available for a long time thanks to the PS3. If HD DVD was to lose, eventually no HD DVD players would be available.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Banned

My next player is going to be a combo player, so I could care less which side wins. I just feel that BD has a much better chance of winning and the Paramount deal is causing a stalemate which no one wants. No one except for Microsoft and Toshiba that is.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:41 PM

if blu ray won i would move on and be happy as well

but , my only real gripe with that is things like u control and ime never being pushed by blu ray studios because of limited player support... that will be a problem for a few years to come i imagine

without that stuff... it would feel like a step backward..
Old 09-07-2007, 05:44 PM

Yes, I would be happy, I want 1 format.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:54 PM

I currently have the addon, but wouldn't hold it against the BDA if they emerge victorious. I wouldn't mind supporting two formats, but I doubt every consumer shares that viewpoint.
I'm only waiting for a fully-spec'd 2.0 player before taking the Blu-Ray plunge, but might just bite the bullet and pick up a PS3 soon enough.
In the meantime, I'll continue to pick up any HD-DVDs that interest me.