Exec: Paramount Ditched BD over Production issues - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-07-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Exec: Paramount Ditched BD over Production issues

From Home Media Magazine Sept. 9 Edition:

Quote:
Alan Bell, CTO of Paramount Pictures said during an HD DVD product demonstration at the CEDIA Expo this week that difficulties in getting his studio's titles replicated for Blu-ray Disc the same day as the DVD and HD DVD was "one of the primary reasons" the studio pulled support of the format.

"It stands to reason the probability you'll run into a schedule issue is less with HD DVD" Bell said. "The infrastructure is already in place (for HD DVD)."

Kevin Collins, Microsoft's Director of Media Technology Group said there are 32 HD DVD capable replication line run by a variety of companies, while only a small handful of plants in the U.S. and Japan are available to produce the Blu-ray 50GB disc. Because Sony controls Blu-ray production, HD DVD exclusive studios may be reluctant to hand over a product. "Here's a competing studio (Sony) and you're trusting them by giving them your product, your movie, to be reproduced. Paramount attempted for Blu-ray . . . but there were issues with capability that's out there," Collins said. He added that lower production costs for HD DVD offered a "return on investment" incentive for Paramount.
So, there you have it straight from the horse's mouth.

Spin away!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:09 PM

I like the way you didn't include the BD side's response. Nice selective quoting there.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
From Home Media Magazine Sept. 9 Edition:

So, there you have it straight from the horse's mouth.

Spin away!

But..But...But Blu-ray isn't just Sony Sony controls the plants, has a couple of movie studios and the PS3 is the main system being bought for Blu-ray.

Tell me again why Blu-ray isn't about Sony
Old 09-07-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchPotato View Post
I like the way you didn't include the BD side's response. Nice selective quoting there.
Be my guest.

It was enough typing as it were.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:20 PM

Why would Blu-Ray need to respond to this. This is a business decision and he's explaining to you why they made the decision. He's saying u are giving your product to a competing studio is hard to trust in. I feel that.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Banned

"One of the primary reasons"...my BS detector just went off when I read that sentence. Yeah it's one of the primary reasons we dumped BD, next to the 150 MILLION we got from Toshiba. Our return on investment is excellent, since we get 150M for doing nothing....
Old 09-07-2007, 04:24 PM

LOL..cant blame them...Sony has proven already multiple times that they cannot be trusted, you cannot trust them as a friend and much more as an enemy....LOL..
Old 09-07-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchPotato View Post
oh, alright -

Quote:
But Andy Parsons, chairman of the BDA said Bell is the first studio rep he's heard voice any concern regarding production issues and Blu-ray. "I can't say that I've heard that complaint from anyone else."

Last edited by Cochise; 09-07-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Be my guest.

It was enough typing as it were.
It's too much for you to cut-and-paste the other sides response?

Ahhhh... the carpal tunnels syndrome... why do you get in the way when I'm supposed to be showing things in a fair light... why GOD WHY?!?!???

Sad.

Logan
Old 09-07-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroygt View Post
"One of the primary reasons"...my BS detector just went off when I read that sentence. Yeah it's one of the primary reasons we dumped BD, next to the 150 MILLION we got from Toshiba. Our return on investment is excellent, since we get 150M for doing nothing....
Yeah whatever makes you happy, as in all the real BS that comes from your masters(Sony) side.
Paramount didn't get paid as Warners didn't get paid to release titles on HD DVD without a BD counterpart, why?? because HD DVD has the capabilities Blu-Ray doesn't!