Paramount screws the pooch - big time - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-07-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Paramount screws the pooch - big time

I've been a lurker out here forever but I just registered because I had to slap Paramount like a little girl. The new remastered ST TOS package looks great. But WTF are they thinking? Two hundred frakin dollars? Those greedy mother-frakers.

This could have been a great promotion for HD-DVD, now people are going to look at this and say, 'oh, that hi-def jazz is insanely expensive'. And they'd be right.

Two hundred bucks for all three seasons, maybe.

I'm so tired of watching the parade of clowns in this hi-def war (both sides) make these ridiculous decisions. It's like they want to loose.

-J

PS: I started out rooting for Blu-ray, then switched to hd-dvd when it was released, the back to blu-ray when it looked like it might win, now back to hd-dvd now that it might win. Basically, I'm for whoever can end this nonsense. I will not buy a player or software until this war is 99% over.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:50 AM

I agree it's expensive, but so were the SDVD boxed sets. Don't buy it.

The average consumer probably is not looking to buy Star Trek boxed sets in high def, anyway, so they are going to see other prices and not flip out because of one title.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:02 PM

But hey! You get a nice plastic phaser with it! That's gotta count for what? And extra 55-cents?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:07 PM

It makes me very scared for if Fox releases the original X-Files series on Blu or House M.D.....
I feel I would be powerless to resist buying those shows, even at that price. I suppose alot of people out there feel the same about Star Trek. However, I thought I read the remastered edition was only being released on HD-DVD combo... Is the HDDVD camp expecting people to buy this for 200 to play in their regular SD players? Sure you could make the argument that you could buy it and enjoy it until you made the HD player purchase, however, most consumers will wait on a product of this price to come down or, as toshiba seems to be doing with everything these days, wait for the set to be bundled in.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodet View Post

PS: I started out rooting for Blu-ray, then switched to hd-dvd when it was released, the back to blu-ray when it looked like it might win, now back to hd-dvd now that it might win. Basically, I'm for whoever can end this nonsense. I will not buy a player or software until this war is 99% over.
Wow, your like all over the place. You definitely don't qualify as an early adopter. Just save your money and watch Blu-ray win this thing in 2008.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I've been a lurker out here forever but I just registered because I had to slap Paramount like a little girl. The new remastered ST TOS package looks great. But WTF are they thinking? Two hundred frakin dollars? Those greedy mother-frakers.

This could have been a great promotion for HD-DVD, now people are going to look at this and say, 'oh, that hi-def jazz is insanely expensive'. And they'd be right.

Two hundred bucks for all three seasons, maybe.

I'm so tired of watching the parade of clowns in this hi-def war (both sides) make these ridiculous decisions. It's like they want to loose.

-J

It's less than $140 on Amazon
Old 09-07-2007, 12:13 PM

I have friends that would mortgage their house for Star Trek.. but I've never been a fan really (more Star Wars-geared for me) I wouldn't have picked up Star Trek even at a decent price if it came out on Blu. But that's just me... to each his own.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I always admire a man of conviction.

You came out of lurking to complain about Paramount's pricing on Star Trek?

Thank you for your Public Service Announcement.

And welcome to Ignore.

Last edited by Cochise; 09-07-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:41 PM

As a guy who picked up the Star Trek II movie on VHS for 79.00 back in 1984, I welcome a whole season plus extras for a mere 140 bucks.

With inflation, $79 in 1984 is $154.17 today!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshynepo View Post
It makes me very scared for if Fox releases the original X-Files series on Blu or House M.D.....
I feel I would be powerless to resist buying those shows, even at that price. I suppose alot of people out there feel the same about Star Trek. However, I thought I read the remastered edition was only being released on HD-DVD combo... Is the HDDVD camp expecting people to buy this for 200 to play in their regular SD players? Sure you could make the argument that you could buy it and enjoy it until you made the HD player purchase, however, most consumers will wait on a product of this price to come down or, as toshiba seems to be doing with everything these days, wait for the set to be bundled in.
Fox won't be releasing House on Blu-ray because NBC owns it. But Prison Break season 1 was just announced and I think that's set for $90 MSRP.