HD DVD Press Conference report from CEDIA - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 PM

Default HD DVD Press Conference report from CEDIA

Robert Zohn of ValueElectronics has posted a report on AVS Forum from the HD DVD press conference at CEDIA. Among the tidbits Robert is reporting:

* All Gen 3 players will be packed with Born Identity and 300.

* Buy a HD DVD player and the Star Trek box set and their is a mail-in rebate for a Star Trek HD DVD phaser remote control unit, very cool looking and sound effects.

* The 5 free HD DVD movies wil be extended til 2/28/08 and new titles are added to the selection. xBox and notebook PC with HD DVD drives will qualifly for the 5 free HD DVD movie offer.

* Just considering Warner, Universal, Paramount, Dreamworks and Dreamworks Anamation more than 125 new titles will be released on HD DVD by the end of '07.

* Shinco, Ventura, Alpine, Onkyo and Integra and the 3 new Gen 3 HD DVD players will all ship by early Q4 '07.

* Amazon and ValueEletronics.com report the A2 is the #1 best seller.

* According to NPD data, BD stand-alone players have 16% market share, while HD DVD enjoys a 33% market share, while SD DVD holds 51%.

* All studios are going to expand the conectivity features, like on the Star Trek HD DVD you can connect to CBS' server and get a tour of the Star Ship Enterprise.

* All Toshiba products are Earth friendly and will carry the "Earth Protection" logo on their packaging. Their is a long list of thigs Toshiba has developed to ensure their Earth friendly complayance.

Robert also posted expected HD DVD player sales by the end of '07. However, I believe he intended to say end of '08. Why? Because the figure he posted was 30 million! Obviously, that isn't happening by the end of '07. But I can see it happening by the end of '08!

Mark
Old 09-05-2007, 09:30 PM

Robert has posted another message indicating that he believes the 30 million was in reference to ALL HD DVD device sales (stand-alones, computer drives, XBox, etc.).

Mark
Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 PM

Default wha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
<snip>...

* According to NPD data, BD stand-alone players have 16% market share, while HD DVD enjoys a 33% market share, while SD DVD holds 51%.
<end snip!>

Of what? HDM does not hold 49% of the current market. We are missing something here.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

standalones
Old 09-05-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post
Of what? HDM does not hold 49% of the current market. We are missing something here.
My guess is current sales (last few weeks?) The HD-A2 and other HD DVD players are outselling many standard def players.

But, if you want to question Robert, I suggest you post in the AVS forum thread I linked.

Mark
Old 09-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
That surprises me also, but there's something to back it up. What I mean is that companies won't state things they can't support somehow, and this is from NPD. So there's a spin, or SD DVD players just don't sell anymore, which I could believe. Really, how often do you buy a SD DVD player now? So I'd like to know the context of the numbers, but they seem pretty significant.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
That surprises me also, but there's something to back it up. What I mean is that companies won't state things they can't support somehow, and this is from NPD. So there's a spin, or SD DVD players just don't sell anymore, which I could believe. Really, how often do you buy a SD DVD player now? So I'd like to know the context of the numbers, but they seem pretty significant.
Could be, I just hate it when they don't give us the numbers.

Makes me think they're hiding something.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
There is no way that is correct. Upconverting players maybe but not DVD players. They have sold almost 8 million DVD players in 2007 in the US alone. They have sold less then 300K HD DVD players and less than 200K Blu-Ray players. Something is wrong with those numbers.

Here are the DVD sales numbers:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...advdsales.html
Old 09-05-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
There is no way that is correct. Upconverting players maybe but not DVD players. They have sold almost 8 million DVD players in 2007 in the US alone. They have sold less then 300K HD DVD players and less than 200K Blu-Ray players. Something is wrong with those numbers.

Here are the DVD sales numbers:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...advdsales.html
Maybe standalones are significantly less or a smaller part of the DVD player market. There are many types of DVD players which wouldn't count as "standalone".
Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
Maybe standalones are significantly less or a smaller part of the DVD player market. There are many types of DVD players which wouldn't count as "standalone".
If you took the 5 seconds to click on the link, you'd have seen that:
"LD Combo players are included in these figures, but DVD-ROM drives and DVD-capable PlayStation 2 systems are not"