Sony advertising their $600 players to... college kids? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-04-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Sony advertising their $600 players to... college kids?

I'm working towards an MBA at a university here and this week is the freshmen orientation week, which I am helping with.

During the open ceremony the MC's gave a few plugs to local restaurants and whatnot. They also plugged Blu-Ray, twice. The first time went something like:

"So Judy, I was watching Lost Season Two on Blu-Ray..."
"and?"
"Well have you seen the quality of Blu-Ray?!?!"

Is Sony really that stupid? Except for some volunteers and hired help, the entire audience was freshman, living in dorms, and I'd be surprised if a single one of them owned an HDTV. Has Sony hit rock bottom? What kind of lame marketing campaign is this?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:48 PM

Either they're idiots or you're lying.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 PM

Not sure what college you are attending but I attended The Univeristy of Florida (go Gators!) and I would venture to say that many a student there was living off mommy and daddy and drove brand new expensive cars and did not have to work or worry about money.

Trust me, there are plenty of college kids that have disposable income, and many of them own credit cards and take out loans and live for the moment.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
"So Judy, I was watching Lost Season Two on Blu-Ray..."
"and?"
"Well have you seen the quality of Blu-Ray?!?!"
If this is true (I'm not a fan of 'I heard' or 'My friend says' stuff as fact - if it won't stand up in court, it won't stand up for me!) I find it very funny that the person said Lost season 2
Old 09-04-2007, 11:02 PM

Yeah well all i know is during my university time i bought a 3000 dollar HDTV, a 1500 dollar dvd player, a 1200 dollar amp, 1000 set of speakers, a playstation and xbox, and i graduated with no debt, and i paid all my own tuition and books,

Kids in university have a ton of cash.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Banned

Does any HDDVD fanboy know that the PS3 costs 500 bucks these days? NOT 600!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Not sure what college you are attending but I attended The Univeristy of Florida (go Gators!) and I would venture to say that many a student there was living off mommy and daddy and drove brand new expensive cars and did not have to work or worry about money.

Trust me, there are plenty of college kids that have disposable income, and many of them own credit cards and take out loans and live for the moment.
I'm aware college kids have disposable income, and you're exactly right that they live for the moment. These kids blow their money on booze and drugs, not HDTV's. By the way this is at the University of Western Ontario in Canada, which I was a freshman at some 5 years ago. A walk around the dorms tells me nothing has changed. Most kids here don't even have so much as a NORMAL TV, not because they're poor, but they have no need for one, and space is fairly restricted. It's hard for me to imagine that more than a handful of the 6000 or so freshmen have HDTV's in their rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
If this is true (I'm not a fan of 'I heard' or 'My friend says' stuff as fact - if it won't stand up in court, it won't stand up for me!) I find it very funny that the person said Lost season 2
Yep, I found that funny too. But the MC's seemed to be having so much trouble remembering their lines it wasn't surprising.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroygt View Post
I live in Canada, there are currencies OTHER than USD you know. And besides, once the 60gb stock runs out, it will be $600 USD again.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
The leftover ones are selling for $500. The 80GB versions replacing them are supposed to be $600. That's where the confusion comes in!

Mark
Old 09-04-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
What about something to play or watch on it? Whats the point of buying a PS3 if you don't plan on getting games or movies for it? Now we've moved up to $530 - $560 and thats just for one movie or one game.