I would expect more... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-01-2007, 12:23 AM

Default I would expect more...

from Paramount and the HD DVD Promo group.
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...t_IFA_2007/920
At IFA it seems all they did was bash Blu-ray, not very mature for major businesses. You'd think they would have something to say about HD DVD besides that it is better than BD in their opinion, but no. They twisted facts like saying HD DVD has an attach rate of 4 HD DVDs per player which was 7 times that of BD. Hmm, does his mean every BD player only has 4/7ths of a BD sitting next to it? Clearly they have added in the PS3 for this information as not all owners are likely to buy BD Movies, but then they boast their higher standalone sales. If they want to say both of those things they should have to say there is about 4 million more BD players than HD DVD players out there. I just think it is immature of them to go to this convention and announce no news, just opinions and twisted facts about BD.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:44 AM

It might seem immature but it is the nature of the business. Companies will spin numbers to make their product look better and both sides are doing it.

I do think the BDA had a better show at IFA with all their player announcements and I was a little surprised after last week that HD DVD didn't mention the Venturer player or atleast the Onkyo player.

Of course these may only be scheduled for release in the states so maybe we will hear more about them next week at Cedia.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:51 AM

Quote:
They twisted facts like saying HD DVD has an attach rate of 4 HD DVDs per player which was 7 times that of BD.
The thing to realize is that for consumers, this is completely irrelevant. I'm quite sure no one cares how many discs their neighbor bought. Seems like a sell to hardware companies and software makers, but it's not like there's an infinite number of those around, so a public spiel about the attach rate seems misguided, when the target audience for that stat would get it more directly.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:10 AM

Paramount has to heavily spin their information because they need to justify their reason for making the switch. With everything still moving so positively for Blu-Ray, it's making Paramount look more and more like fools already.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall4008 View Post
from Paramount and the HD DVD Promo group.
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...t_IFA_2007/920
At IFA it seems all they did was bash Blu-ray, not very mature for major businesses. You'd think they would have something to say about HD DVD besides that it is better than BD in their opinion, but no. They twisted facts like saying HD DVD has an attach rate of 4 HD DVDs per player which was 7 times that of BD. Hmm, does his mean every BD player only has 4/7ths of a BD sitting next to it? Clearly they have added in the PS3 for this information as not all owners are likely to buy BD Movies, but then they boast their higher standalone sales. If they want to say both of those things they should have to say there is about 4 million more BD players than HD DVD players out there. I just think it is immature of them to go to this convention and announce no news, just opinions and twisted facts about BD.
In fairness haven't the BD group being doing the same thing? They were even bashing HD DVD before the first Blu Ray player was on the market.

HD DVD have just finally decided to to take a leaf out of the BDA playbook so its not that childish
Old 09-01-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimboli View Post
In fairness haven't the BD group being doing the same thing? They were even bashing HD DVD before the first Blu Ray player was on the market.

HD DVD have just finally decided to to take a leaf out of the BDA playbook so its not that childish

I agree. Since when did a company have to be fair when making a decision to benefit their revenue. Every company in the world does what it can to get an edge in anything(look at any car commercial they always call out how their car has more features or does something better then another car). It's a competition for the right to sell the next generation of media and nobody is going to play fair. I'm sick to death of hearing how Paramount is awful and HD is evil for paying a studio. Ummm do you honnestly think Blu-Ray hasn't given Fox, Disney, Target, Blockbuster a rediculous ammount of money for their support? HD DVD's contribution of money pales in comparison to what Sony is spending. Point is life isn't fair and unless you deal with that you'll never get ahead which is something HD has done. I consider them to be by far the most modest of the two companies Sony has just been cocky since the start. HD even offered to work with Sony to spread high definition media and it was Sony who wouldn't hear of it so you can partially blame Sony for the overall lack of sales in high definition. Bottom line is HD is no worse then Blu-Ray we just have a couple Blu fanboys who are cranky about the fact that there side is less secure then it was and that the heat's been turned up. Piece of advice, it's going to get a whole lot worse for you guys so be prepared to deal with it.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:48 AM

Yes. Members of the BDA have never bashed HD DVD at all have they?

As for including the PS3 as players, I rather suspect that's what the BDA did when recruiting members and promising victory. What's good for the goose is good for the gander..
Old 09-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimboli View Post

Exactly, But they don't like it when it is done to them. When they do it they call it factual, when HD DVD supporter does it it is bad business practice. Unbelievable.............
Old 09-01-2007, 11:07 AM

I don't care about who bashes who. The point is, HD DVD had a weak presentation at IFA. I was expecting much more. Very disappointing.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrob View Post
I don't care about who bashes who. The point is, HD DVD had a weak presentation at IFA. I was expecting much more. Very disappointing.
CEDIA will be better.